IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Pandanus!

Xenon

There aren't any Pandanus in Houston, but heres a P. utillis on South Padre Island, Texas (sorry for the bad photo quality).

IMGA0319.jpg

Show us yours (especially the more exotic species)!

:) Jonathan

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Here is my Pandanus 'Fat Boy'........not sure if the correct species name is dubius or pacificus. These Pandanus certainly don't like the cold and don't even do well in some warmer subtropical areas.

post-5516-072044000 1303889253_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Very nice... I have been looking for recent photos of my blue giant pandanus... I though I took the pics to show Peter, but I can't find it. A bit dark to go out there & take photos now...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Daun Pandan or Pandanus amaryllifolius is a great sprawling plant you can add . Leaves are used in cooking sweet dishes and for flavouring rice , it will grow along creek edges .

post-354-080944600 1303902462_thumb.jpg

Pandanus gemmifer is wide spread , growing up on the cooler tablelands as well steamy lowland . A mate is growing it over the border in NSW . It grows on steep rock walls further down my road in Tully Gorge .

post-354-055184900 1303902684_thumb.jpg

This sp. can get large with many branches and also have many small offsets forming on the branches.

post-354-031463000 1303902903_thumb.jpg

No pics of the offsets , but here is a male flower .post-354-017014300 1303902816_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Pandans are one of my favorite groups of plants. RPS has been getting lots of seed of unusual species. I am growing them to test for cold and cool hardiness here and the last 2 winters have been a good test.

Pandans are amazing from the shortest Pandanus, Pandanus pygmaeus 'Variegatus'

33f8.jpg

to the largest species, Pandanus monotheca

img_0639.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here's my Pandanus monotheca, showing some cold damage after a tough winter but should be fine. This is the second year in the ground for me and I think this one will be a stunner for Socal-if it can make it for me it should be no problem for the coastal people as long as you can give it some shade. Yours looks great Eric!

DSC_0990.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Fernando Valley, California

Good to see it growing in SoCA. I need to get an updated photo. We have 4 planted out and a couple are about 6ft. None have shown any damage these past 2 cold winters. All are growing under tree canopy.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

There aren't any Pandanus in Houston, but heres a P. utillis on South Padre Island, Texas (sorry for the bad photo quality).

IMGA0319.jpg

I seem to remember seeing Pandanus on Galveston Island that appeared to have survived this past winter and I guess Hurricane Rita as well. They were on Broadway Street infront of a large white stone building if I remember correctly.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

I've managed to get quite a few Pandanus in my collection, many of them are still small, but one species very numerous and reasonably tall.

Since they're native to my place, I have a few hundred P. spiralis of all sizes up to 6 or more metres high.

Next are P. dubius (sometimes called P. pacifica but which is incorrect). They have a habit of falling over once they get a few metres and then turn into clumps when suckers come up all along the trunks. It's not a native to this area but is commonly grown in gardens.

P. aquaticus is a native, not specifically to my property but very common in the area. I have 4 small ones that I planted.

Another native, P. basedowii, is common to the stoney country nearby and I have about a dozen of those, only one forming a trunk.

P. tectorius, 4 which are all still small.

P. amarylifolius which is still in a pot because I still haven't worked out what would be the best environment for it. Michael, is this one best in full sun or less?

Another which grows quite tall and doesn't have any spines along the leaf edges whatsoever. Have a couple of small ones but haven't managed to identify them yet.

And a variegated one that doesn't grow tall, but don't have an ID.

• Like 1

Zig the Daun Pandan will grow in full sun ,looks better in some shade . Scott & Anne up the road have tons of it along the edge of the creek running through there place .

I love the really big clumps of the smooth edged variegated one .

Though they can take forever to get any size to them , and often spread to much . Trevor maintains his , always trimming off old leaves , his clump is prob. 20 years old .

post-354-060335400 1303980770_thumb.jpg

The other more spiney edged lineata variegated one can get to a decent size as well .post-354-048892900 1303980938_thumb.jpg

And I just love the epiphytic spiralis growing out of the paperbark tree on the entrance to Cow Bay beach up at Cape Trib'

post-354-095485400 1303981178_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Michael. My creek stops in the dry season, maybe the P. amarylifolius will want more water than that. I'll have to keep it within reach of irrigation.

That epiphytic P. spiralis looks strange like that. I've never seen one growing out of a tree, and no exaggeration I've seen 100's of thousands of them. I did find a Livistona humilis growing up high in a tree.

P. spiralis in my swamp.

post-4226-022821900 1304001894_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have some P. spiralis seedlings, can't wait until they get older !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is 3 of our P. monotheca, I just took the photos for an update. None showed any damage after the past 2 years. In the first photo, I had P. veitchii, P. amaryliifolius and P. dubius nearby and they croaked.

img_5362.jpg

img_5355.jpg

img_5366.jpg

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

IMGA0319.jpg

I seem to remember seeing Pandanus on Galveston Island that appeared to have survived this past winter and I guess Hurricane Rita as well. They were on Broadway Street infront of a large white stone building if I remember correctly.

Pandanus in Galveston? Who knew they could take 25F, for comparison, the kings I saw were defoliated and the old Royals at Moody Gardens seemed almost dead...even a tall Bismarckia had some moderate damage. Gotta go find it next time I'm there :P

A P. utillis I saw pictured in the RGV seemed pretty crispy...

By the way, love all the Pandanus shots! How tall does P. monotheca grow, Eric?

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

I have some P. spiralis seedlings, can't wait until they get older !!!

Pandanus spiralis is quite variable. One enthusiastic aspiring PhD here split them into 8 species, but it was never accepted.

Pandanus integer St.John

Pandanus convexus St.John

Pandanus thermalis St.John

Pandanus latifructus St.John

Pandanus darwinensis St.John

Pandanus semiarmatus St.John

Pandanus yirrkalaensis St.John

Pandanus yuleensis St.John

The Aborigines here have them as 2 species, I find their distinction easily recognisable. What I like about mine is that the leaf bases remain while the main part of the leaf when dead falls off. It really accentuates the spiral effect. But a lot of P. spiralis hold the dead leaves as a "skirt" but then drop the whole leaf leaving a bare trunk.

• Like 1

Many years ago when I lived in S. Cal. I grew Pandanus. I was successful with 3 varieties, I remember Pandanus Veitchi was thought to be very

cold hardy as it was beautiful then at Lotusland, in Santa Barbara. It is variegated not real large and beautiful. I see it here once in a while.

There are so many different Pandanus, few cultivated.

I'm always interested in Pandanus. Aloha,

Donald Sanders

• Like 1

Donald Sanders

Here is a pic of my neighbor's. It's got a perfect triangle shape, but they hate it! It rains down dead leaves every time the wind blows. Lots of maintainance, but beautiful.

Randy

post-1035-093278300 1304434946_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

post-354-011197900 1304509659_thumb.jpg

This is the sp. with red edges to the foliage .

Has only been planted there about 6 years , and was approx 1m tall when I first saw it . Split up well and should get several branches soon . It has a mass of tight stilt roots , hopefully gardeners will clean up base soon . Noticed a few nests , maybe birds fell safe in amongst all the spines .

post-354-014022900 1304509707_thumb.jpg

I acn relate to the mess made by these , as I had to clean up the mess made by a pair of P .solmslaubachii .

post-354-027952600 1304510023_thumb.jpg

This is a swamp loving sp. and has some wicked fine spines on the leaves . post-354-060672000 1304510056_thumb.jpg

Trunk is covered in pneumataphores .

post-354-076399500 1304510420_thumb.jpg

post-354-028551400 1304510449_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is the yellow and green one I have

post-4418-097539300 1306646326_thumb.jpg

Similar pattern Offshoot from the above, propagated successfully

post-4418-021167900 1306645737_thumb.jpg

two smaller offshoots, one pure yellow and the other pure green, - produced from the same plant pictured above - these seemed to have been fused so I did not separate them

post-4418-022991200 1306645966_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

I am getting a P. tectorius seedling that I won in an ebay auction and I can't wait to see it. I am way up here in Zone 5 but I am going to try to grow it as a houseplant.

Wow I sure would liek to try that Pandanus pygmaeus!

• Like 1

Here's some old Pandanus growing at Manuel Antonio Beach. My friend Nelson for scale.

post-747-007961900 1306826245_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Has anybody had any experience germinating Pandanus seeds? I ran into a couple of references that said germination is difficult.

Has anybody had any experience germinating Pandanus seeds? I ran into a couple of references that said germination is difficult.

We simply germinate our pandanus seeds on a raised sand bed in full sun, keep sand moist and they germinate with ease. ps 3/4 bury the seed. good luck.

They vary from species to species.........a couple of years ago I put down a heap of Pandanus solms-laubachii and got %100 germination, similar results with Pandanus spiralis but I found our local Pandanus tectorius slower and more erractic......the local trees down on the beach are now full of ripe fruit. I intend to collect a heap soon and grow some for revegetation purposes.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Thanks for those observations. It sounds as though you were working with very fresh seed. Do Pandanus seeds keep very well for very long and do you think that I could expect seeds purchased form online stores to perform very well?

Not sure about how long they stay viable but would not think that they would store for any lengthy period. I have only worked with fresh seed.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Pandanus Utilis from Madagascar Loves it here in the cool SubTropics. Neat Pandan

post-5709-004996800 1307240588_thumb.jpg post-5709-056198700 1307240594_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I am getting some P. utilis seeds that I bought through an Amazon.com sale. Of course here in the cold north I can only grow that plant for a time as a houseplant. It will be interesting to see how the germination goes.

Looks great Malcolm, I have heard that furcatus can handle cold pretty well.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Andrew...

I'm at 37 degrees lattitude but am right on the beach and don't get frosts. I planted a utilis of the same size at the same time as the furcatus but lost it when the bank it was growing on got washed away in a flood. It would have been interesting to see how the two compared.

I was at Landsendt (auckland) last month and Dick ENDT has some New Guinea speicies fruiting. They are massive plants. I can't find where my photos are of these but they are obviously as hardy as these Himalayan ones.

regards...

Does anybody have any ideas for getting some of the smaller species in the US?

Andrew...

I'm at 37 degrees lattitude but am right on the beach and don't get frosts. I planted a utilis of the same size at the same time as the furcatus but lost it when the bank it was growing on got washed away in a flood. It would have been interesting to see how the two compared.

I was at Landsendt (auckland) last month and Dick ENDT has some New Guinea speicies fruiting. They are massive plants. I can't find where my photos are of these but they are obviously as hardy as these Himalayan ones.

regards...

Well that is interesting to hear.........have you tried Pandanus monetheca? it seems to have a fair degree of cold tolerance seeing that it is grown in California. How does Pandanus tectorius go for you?.....Due to its southern range it would have a fair degree of cold tolerance......even some of the Queensland upland rainforest species should be able to handle cooler conditions possibly.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

IMGA0319.jpg

I believe you are right about the Galveston pandanus. There were maybe two? of them in front of one of the big old buildings on Broadway. I don't remember which building it was, I haven't been there since before Hurricane Rita. I believe they were probably P. utilis. Like so many plants I love, if they will grow there...they would almost grow here. Which means they would not grow here. Oh well, time for another trip to S. Florida.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Today my order with five P. utilis seeds arrived. I should have known better than to purchase these from a random amazon.com seller. They were light as feathers, smell like moldy hay and were long dead. I used a shears to cut one open to make sure there wasn't a little seed hiding inside but it was just dry dust.

6-vi-11-pandanus-utilis-i-s.jpg

I should be able to find seedlings/little divisions somewhere for this species.

I am really interested in these plants. I was little bit shocked by the harsh sting of the P. tectorius leaves when I got that plant last week, but I think I can get over that. I can't wait to get some more species going. It sure would be great to find some of those shrub Pandanus species.