IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chambeyronia Houailou

PalmatierMeg

I would guess it throws a new leaf once every 2 months. It might get faster once the roots are finally satisfied.

WOW thats fast! I thought they only threw 4 a year in Hawaii? Or was that just the macrocarpa?

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

My macrocarpa is that slow or maybe slower. Hookeri is a bit faster than houailou so definitely the fastest, overall.

VERY nice Andrew!

Jastin, mine grows year round.. un bothered by the weather... OOPS! time to go pull in some plants for the next 4 days!

Its Sundown!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Which reminds me... I have decided its way more important to me that the palm is still HERE after a cold event than how many fronds a year it throws :)

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 months later...

I've read that C. lepidota is a high elevation palm that will probably hate FL sultry nights. Can anyone confirm that?

I have tried them several times over here in palm beach with no success at all.

I'm just catching up to this thread. There is (at least as of a year or so ago) a C. lepidota growing at the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum in St. Pete. It's always looked like it's barely making it, but it's been doing it for years as far as I remember. I also remember talking to Phil about it and he said that had they planted it higher it would've been doing much better.

Also I have 2 regular C. macrocarpas. And one of them is much faster than the other producing an average of 5 leaves per year.

Alex--does the faster one have purple hues in the leaflets, where they connect to the rachis, while the other does not? My guess is one(the faster of the two) might be a hybrid with hookeri...

• Upvote 1

Alex--does the faster one have purple hues in the leaflets, where they connect to the rachis, while the other does not? My guess is one(the faster of the two) might be a hybrid with hookeri...

Not sure. Never looked closely at that. Interesting. I will check it out tomorrow. I got it from Ken a little over 2 years ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Man, does this palm grow fast! I think this is as red as I have ever seen her--and she's growing so fast in this heat!

post-5491-0-68675200-1375370549_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-06685600-1375370560_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-45713300-1375370595_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-03653300-1375370601_thumb.jp

Wow! 2 leaves in 3 months that is a fast. :greenthumb:

This weather really seems to have sent them into overdrive. Mine opened in the middle of our non-stop rains couple weeks ago so it greened up before I could get any pics. But it already has a 18inch spear shooting on up.

Any ideas on what could cause the variation in red from leaf to leaf? Just throwing the idea our there but from what Ive noticed the longer the spear takes to open the less red it has.

Interesting hypothesis... I think this palm likes heat more than any of the Chambeyronia species. I say this beacuse my growing experience with the others is they often slow down in the dead of summer. Hookeri not so much, but houailou seems to speed up in this heat--maybe it is that this palm is from the beach, in New Caledonia and therefore sees considerably more heat than the other species do...

• 1 year later...

I am beyond posting every new leaf, but this one seemed more red than possible. I thought about some of you arguing that this is really a hookeri, but we have all watched this grow up on palmtalk and it is no doubt an Houailou. Love this palm!

post-5491-0-48001200-1409663198_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-52266600-1409663209_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-21155400-1409663221_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Man that thing is beautiful! Nice work Andrew! Haven't seen a Houailou here in SoCal with that much red, but the leaf structure on yours definitely looks like all the Houailous out here.

2 of my Houailous had a little salmon-ish color on the previous frond but was super light and very little, I'm going to keep an eye out on them to see if they continue to give a little more color. like others have said they are the fastest of the other Chambeyronia species and have gotten a solid 3-4 leaves while in their 5gal pots this past year. might be hard to compare the speed though since my other Chambeyronia were all planted within this last year and may have not really re-established itself until recently but my 15gal watermelons do grow pretty consistently

• 6 months later...

I just so happened to look out the window and BAM! Glad I did--almost missed it. This palm has slowed for our winter but is fattening up.

post-5491-0-33798100-1425649336_thumb.jp

I was actually lucky to get a "two for one"--my Ptychosperma burretiana also has gone off; Most of my Ptychosperma(I have a lot of different species) are super fast and become adults before you know it! If you all have been checking out the progress of my photos, you can see how thick everything is getting--much less uniform and perfect, but much more rainforest-like and jungle style. I am enjoying the process...

post-5491-0-21170000-1425649487_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-60707600-1425649493_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

i have 2 in the ground now and one is in full all day sun. they've only been planted about 5-8 months so we'll see how they do.

• 8 months later...

My wife and I were enjoying our first cup of coffee when she noticed with delight. Always nice when palms make us smile!

20151121_085514.jpg

20151121_085523.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here are my 3 I picked up 2 months ago.. Have yet to find spot for them! They are Sun Grown so that helps, But have not decided were to put them!

I have 1 5GA and 2 1GA.

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

My garden is near completely filled out in the front. This palm adds so much and is a breeze to grow; I probably don't have he place in the absolutel best position, but she is still performing.

wayloo2.jpg

• Upvote 5

Andrew, thats the largest Houilou Ive seen here on PT and never seen 1 in the flesh larger :greenthumb:

I ve only 2 a tad larger than Brians which both just opened a new Pinnate leaf, 1 is in full sun and has now adapded after  2 yrs. 

Pete                                                                                                   

20151121_085523.jpg

• Upvote 2

I really love this species. I have one that I germinated from RPS doing well that needs planting. Gotta get more though. Lots more.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here is the Houailou that inspired my original post. It started out growing like a ball of fire but has since slowed down. Takes its time but is happy nonetheless. Unlike Andrew's palms, which have intensely red new leaves, this plant's leaves open salmon/coral pink, then slowly fade. It originally came from Ellis Brown at Redland Nursery. They are hard to find - Floribunda is the most reliable source.

Chambeyronia Houailou

57bcbfbfc9fd2_ChambeyroniaHouailou018-2357bcbfc9f199c_ChambeyroniaHouailou028-2357bcbfd6d703c_ChambeyroniaHouailou038-23

• Upvote 5

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Here is the Houailou that inspired my original post. It started out growing like a ball of fire but has since slowed down. Takes its time but is happy nonetheless. Unlike Andrew's palms, which have intensely red new leaves, this plant's leaves open salmon/coral pink, then slowly fade. It originally came from Ellis Brown at Redland Nursery. They are hard to find - Floribunda is the most reliable source.

Chambeyronia Houailou

57bcbfbfc9fd2_ChambeyroniaHouailou018-2357bcbfc9f199c_ChambeyroniaHouailou028-2357bcbfd6d703c_ChambeyroniaHouailou038-23

Meg, I went back to the start of this thread, youve had great growth in the  last 5  yrs, do you think its slowed down coz its looking for more  sunlight? Pete

Funny I was just noticing how large mine was tonight... I should post a pic, nice thread bump.. Mine has a good 2' of trunk or more.... but not a hint of red in mine. I wonder if you have some sort of Hybrid Andrew? More red than any I have ever seen!

This is the first leaf to show colour, after the first six green ones.

For us it is only one to two leaves a year.

P8240013.thumb.JPG.779b27b6e1546e9ddf56d

P8210001.thumb.JPG.7088dd6b8fa443c234343

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

6 hours ago, gtsteve said:

This is the first leaf to show colour, after the first six green ones.

For us it is only one to two leaves a year.

P8240013.thumb.JPG.779b27b6e1546e9ddf56d

P8210001.thumb.JPG.7088dd6b8fa443c234343

Steve, mine's new leaves are about that color.

Pete, it does get midday into afternoon sun. I had to be careful when I planted it small - our sun can burn through seedling leaves. It did to my 6 C. macrocarpa until they grew larger

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Well, I guess I exaggerated a bit... the trunk appears to be a bit over 1 foot... But very happy!.  (Still not a hint of pink or red.. I'd like one of that version too... ;-)

20160824_082638.thumb.jpg.eeca0713c891f5

5 gal pot to right for scale... NOT a 1 gal pot

• Upvote 6

I laughed out loud with your posts guys! Yes, not an easy find, Meg, but I have one a bit smaller than yours in a pot at the nursery. They are not as fast as a hookeri but way faster than my watermelon. Remember, mine was the peach petiole version where Meg's was the lime colored one. Maybe mine grows up to have that super nice rose color...

BS Man, nice palm!! About the size of mine.

On 8/24/2016, 9:16:43, BS Man about Palms said:

Still not a hint of pink or red.

Mine just  opened up a new frond a couple of weeks ago, and for the first time I noted a "hint" of blush.  Mine is much smaller and quite slow.  Only 1 new leaf this summer and 1 last summer.  Perhaps it is still getting acclimated, as its only been in the ground a couple of years from a 7 gallon pot that I had it in before.20160829-104A4157.thumb.jpg.6ec77f0c733c

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 7 months later...

Here is an update from yesterday. I still get a kick out of the vibrant color this palm produces! 

20170408_182438.jpg

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Here is an update from yesterday. I still get a kick out of the vibrant color this palm produces! 

20170408_182438.jpg

OW!

that smarts!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 3/21/2013, 5:55:16, Mandrew968 said:

I really think that is the case... fast as can be with that brilliant red... gotta be a hybrid.. :) 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I really think that is the case... fast as can be with that brilliant red... gotta be a hybrid.. :) 

Sorry, but no--not a hybrid. 

• Upvote 2