IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chambeyronia Houailou

PalmatierMeg

I have noticed the more shade they are in, the longer they will stay entire leaf..

A certain So-Cal Palm grower (not me) has some specimens that are entire-leafed after quite a number of years. Six, I think.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here is mine I bought from Floribunda at the beginning of the year in a 4" container. I planted it right away and it took off. The trunk got super fat. I just took this photo a few minutes ago.

post-5160-028218300 1321144184_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Update. I finally planted her--has anyone noticed two types of houailous? Mine has peach colored petioles, but most are lemon-lime... anyway, a new leaf and a real stable base on her. :)

post-5491-054880100 1328994872_thumb.jpg

post-5491-039771400 1328994876_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Today I took these photos of the one I planted last year. It took lows to about 34-35 unprotected without a single spot. What a fabulous palm!

Chambeyronia Houailou, 2/16/12

post-1349-085883200 1329432954_thumb.jpg post-1349-050173600 1329432996_thumb.jpg

post-1349-098172100 1329433006_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Once they start trunking mine added about 5 new fronds in the past year. I have two about the same size. They're much faster than any of my other Chambeyronias. These pics were taken yesterday.

post-1035-006669000 1329447432_thumb.jpg

post-1035-070704500 1329447594_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Once they start trunking mine added about 5 new fronds in the past year. I have two about the same size. They're much faster than any of my other Chambeyronias. These pics were taken yesterday.

The pic on the right is a hookeri yeah?

Doesnt look like any houailou I've seen.

Will post a pic of mine shortly

I'm gonna bring this up again, has anyone else noticed two different colored houailous? Meg's has the lemon-lime colored petioles and mine has the peach colored petioles. I have seen a few more peach colored ones at other nurseries. Does anyone have any thoughts on this difference in color?

• Upvote 1

Dean mentioned that there is an upright one and another that lets the leaves fall much lower on the plant. The reason I would say both Randy's palms are houailou is there is no purple tinge in any of the plant--in fact, houailou often exibits a bluish tint to the leaf that melds in with the yellow. That's houailou, for sure :)

The one on the left is hard to tell from the photo. I think it is hookeri. The one on the right is definitely not Houailou. Houailou have at best pink new leaves. They are never that red.

Edited by Beach palm

The one on the left is hard to tell from the photo. I think it is hookeri. The one on the right is definitely not Houailou. Houailou have at best pink new leaves. They are never that red.

I must repectfully disagree. I believe they are both houailous... Randy that is super red for an houailou--it would be kinda weak for a hookeri.

They are both the exactly the same. Here is an older pic of a new C houailou leaf. The new leaves are more of a salmon color & more recurved. The hookeri's new leaf is more of a deep maroon color.

post-1035-099273200 1329491484_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Here is an example. The C houailou on the left & C hookeri on the right. :)

post-1035-088437100 1329492038_thumb.jpg

post-1035-068109900 1329492052_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Petiole color, crownshaft color, and new leaf color doesn't really define the two IMHO. In some cases each can exhibit somewhat similar characteristics. One thing they don't share is the fact Hookeri holds its leaflets off the rachis at around 90 degrees and Houailou is always at about a 45.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Petiole color, crownshaft color, and new leaf color doesn't really define the two. In some cases each can exhibit similar characteristics. One thing they don't share is the fact Hookeri holds its leaflets off the rachis at around 90 degrees and Houailou is always at about a 45.

Ahhhhh. Thanks Len!

post-1729-004504900 1329567824_thumb.jpg.post-1729-025809300 1329569146_thumb.jpg.post-1729-084197000 1329570496_thumb.jpg

Here is my Chambeyronia macrocarpa. I've been waiting for months for this spear leaf to open. Thought it would do its thing around Christmas to add to the festivities. Noticed it starting to open last night so I snapped these photos this am at first light. It's overall height is @ 9 ft with 2 ft of trunk.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I think this is the coloring difference you are asking about. One has a greenstem and base while the other has green. Both are Houailou that came in the same seed package.

post-4415-076469500 1329763652_thumb.jpg

post-4415-011920200 1329763669_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

post-1729-004504900 1329567824_thumb.jpg.post-1729-025809300 1329569146_thumb.jpg.post-1729-084197000 1329570496_thumb.jpg

Here is my Chambeyronia macrocarpa. I've been waiting for months for this spear leaf to open. Thought it would do its thing around Christmas to add to the festivities. Noticed it starting to open last night so I snapped these photos this am at first light. It's overall height is @ 9 ft with 2 ft of trunk.

whoa!

And the Rockettes with bed hair, steak medium rare, like the color of that new spare, er, spear. :drool::blink:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

post-1729-052206300 1329790600_thumb.jpgpost-1729-077662500 1329791541_thumb.jpgpost-1729-058957800 1329792623_thumb.jpg

Don't mean to hijack this thread. I just can't remember my Chambeyronia macrocarpa with such a brillantly red leaf after three days.

Here is a picture of the base.

Mine has a green stem like yours on the right. But I'd love to have a peach-stemmed palm to go with it.

Meg

Florida

Thanks Beach palm--That's exactly what I'm talking about... So I guess there are just two kinds of Houailou! Glad I have the peach one :)

Heres an update of mine.. kinda wish it was the pink version... But I'm still happy!

post-27-067221000 1329930365_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I have never seen a pinkish colored one before. It will be interesting to see if they keep the color differences as they grow.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I have never seen a pinkish colored one before. It will be interesting to see if they keep the color differences as they grow.

I will keep us updated :)

• Upvote 1

Good. Plus I wonder if growth rate will be the same. My two that open green leaves grow as fast as Macrocarpas for me. My one I got from FL that opens a reddish leaf is painfully slow. I get a leaf a year if lucky.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Good. Plus I wonder if growth rate will be the same. My two that open green leaves grow as fast as Macrocarpas for me. My one I got from FL that opens a reddish leaf is painfully slow. I get a leaf a year if lucky.

I have all the Chambeyronias save lepidota and my houailou is fastest, BY FAR. Regular macrocarpa is so slow(maybe two leaves a year), I'm beginning to think it's an Actinokentia! They are all about the same size(hookeri is the biggest and faster than regular macrocarpa). I have been posting the speed of my houailou on this thread and you can all see how fast she is!

I've read that C. lepidota is a high elevation palm that will probably hate FL sultry nights. Can anyone confirm that?

Meg

Florida

I've read that C. lepidota is a high elevation palm that will probably hate FL sultry nights. Can anyone confirm that?

I have tried them several times over here in palm beach with no success at all.

• 3 months later...

Meg,

Threads like these are doing nothing for my illness laugh.gif Great looking palm though :drool:

Laura

LOL :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first pinnate leaf on my Chambeyronia houailou--with a hint of pink.

post-5491-0-21447800-1341606295_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-40228000-1341606307_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-60588200-1341606314_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

It started to open this morning and this is the most color I have gotten so far--very happy to get such color from this palm.

post-5491-0-66622600-1347025458_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-44377700-1347025483_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-77904400-1347025507_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-51600000-1347025529_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Luving the red there Andrew.. NICE.

Mine is growing like the weeds around it.. (I think to keep the sun) :P Thats a full size work van next to it for size reference.

post-27-0-29383000-1347044354_thumb.jpg

When I planted it in front of my Watermelon Macro, the watermelon was almost twice its size.. its not even close, I think the houailou grows twice the speed.

post-27-0-88220100-1347044436_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This afternoon I took this photo of my C. Houailou. Going strong.

post-1349-0-39826300-1347144276_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

• 4 months later...

Just another update on my Chambeyronia sp. houailou. It seems to be developing more color with each new leaf...

post-5491-0-07429800-1357921642_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-63013100-1357921654_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-88150400-1357921665_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Nice Andrew. That red actually means go & it's really going to take off now. :)

Nice! How many leaves do you get a year? Mine is in the ground from a 4" FB in full sun surrounded by concrete. Pushing strong, not the greenest yet though- probably the old Hawaii leaves and the fact that I threw it in full sun

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I would guess it throws a new leaf once every 2 months. It might get faster once the roots are finally satisfied.