IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chambeyronia Houailou

PalmatierMeg

I was taking photos last night and decided to take one of my C. Houailou. I was keeping it under one of my large C. macrocarpa but decided to move it under shade as the days become more oppressive. It is still in bifid stage but I understand it is slower to go pinnate.

post-1349-017015900 1303312635_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I love these.. They look so good out here.. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Can you shoot a pic of the base of that rascal Meg...

Mines about as thick as a quarter...

They stay bifid for awhile BTW.

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Not sure I really can tell the difference between this palm and hookeri... :unsure:

As you can see below, on the Houailou the leaflets are held at a slight upward angle - at almost 45˚ to one another - as opposed to almost flat on the C. macrocarpa.

post-11-007376400 1303337637_thumb.jpg

post-11-057650500 1303337645_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Not sure I really can tell the difference between this palm and hookeri... :unsure:

As you can see below, on the Houailou the leaflets are held at a slight upward angle - at almost 45˚ to one another - as opposed to almost flat on the C. macrocarpa.

A very smart person must have told you that :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Before I saw more than one or two, I thought the same thing...once you see several, its very easy to tell..

Not to mention they usually have a blue tint to the leaves.. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Now Dean,

That picture has me wanting one of these too :( I guess another RPS order is in the works :rolleyes:

Laura

I was almost going to give you credit - almost :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I was almost going to give you credit - almost :)

:)

I wish that were mine to start. I got that from Marcus and he got it from Toby :) But it is dead on for ID.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

A blue tint to the leaf? I've seen the nice purple tint on Hookeri--Once they reach a decent size, they can all take sun, right?

A blue tint to the leaf? I've seen the nice purple tint on Hookeri--Once they reach a decent size, they can all take sun, right?

Overall they remind me of a K. oliviformis crossed with a hookeri..

Do the Chambeyronia Houailou do well near the ocean? I have a couple C. Hookeri and Macrocarpas that do great here in San Diego.

~Brent

Do the Chambeyronia Houailou do well near the ocean? I have a couple C. Hookeri and Macrocarpas that do great here in San Diego.

~Brent

WElcome Brent!!

Do a search and you find several quite happy on the coast. Mine included.

Just picked one up, yesterday--they are quite a bit pricier than the hookeri or macrocarpa. Are they from New Cal? The name sounds Hawaiian...

From an area of New cal yes.

Less available, slower growing, higher price.

Does yours still have the entire leaf? or started going pinnate?

show a pic. :)

I'll get a pic in this weekend--it's still simple leaf with an orangish rachis(reminded me a bit of pelagodoxas that I've seen, color wise). Guessing, I'd say it has 8 leaves and is about one foot tall.

Before I saw more than one or two, I thought the same thing...once you see several, its very easy to tell..

Not to mention they usually have a blue tint to the leaves.. :)

Like Bill said. For me each leaf is more 'sword like' than the other Chambeyronias.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

'Sword like'? Phoenix sylvestris and trithrinax are sword like, IMO--I have no idea what you mean, Palmcurry...

Here she is.

Ay,Andrew you look like a proud father with his new born babe :) houailou`s are very special IMO.Have you seen the pics on the RPS site? If not check em out very nice indeed.Regards Craig.

Thanks, Craig :) I love getting new palms--that pick looks like a mini rhopie. Can't grow those here! This'll be my substitute :)

Edited by Mandrew968

Wow, what a cool looking palm!

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

• 2 months later...

Update: She has put out two leaves and a spike since the last photos. Still not pinnate yet, but she's faster than my regular macrocarpa, that's in the ground and the same size, comparatively. I also repotted her since the last photos...

post-5491-096165100 1312033746_thumb.jpg

post-5491-051711200 1312033767_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well, I thought the photos were switched, but the last ones do look like a chamby houailou.... Just usually don't see the "orange" color on them.

It is an exciting palm indeed . The few ones we tried in Tenerife are giving great results.

The stiff, though leaves endure hard conditions, probably much better than C.macrocarpa. The ones in full burning sun show the best aspect and the largest size. I wish I had some time to upload the pics of the one at the Palmetum, with its typically pinkish new leaf.

"hookeri" is just one more form of C. macrocarpa, while Houailou has a different "flavour". I believe that it might be described as a new species, as the differences are showing up.

Carlo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting for my seeds to turn up. :(

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dean, very nice!

Where was that picture taken, and how old are the palms . . . ?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 4 weeks later...

I just potted up mine to a 7g. It's growing gangbusters but I will wait till spring to plant it. I need to update my photos.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

I have noticed the more shade they are in, the longer they will stay entire leaf..

• 2 months later...

I took these photos Oct 30. I think I posted them elsewhere, but this palm is worthy of re-runs. I ended up planting it because it was climbing out of the 7g pot I moved it to in early Sept. I couldn't see making it wait till spring to go into the ground. This thing is quick and tough - a great palm

Chambeyronia Houailou

post-1349-002538100 1321061186_thumb.jpg post-1349-035665100 1321061200_thumb.jpg

post-1349-021947900 1321061217_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Meg

Florida