PalmatierMeg

Chambeyronia Houailou

PalmatierMeg

I was taking photos last night and decided to take one of my C. Houailou. I was keeping it under one of my large C. macrocarpa but decided to move it under shade as the days become more oppressive. It is still in bifid stage but I understand it is slower to go pinnate.

post-1349-017015900 1303312635_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

BS Man about Palms

I love these.. They look so good out here.. :)

Mandrew968

Not sure I really can tell the difference between this palm and hookeri... :unsure:

Palmə häl′ik

Can you shoot a pic of the base of that rascal Meg...

Mines about as thick as a quarter...

They stay bifid for awhile BTW.

~Ray.

Dypsisdean

Not sure I really can tell the difference between this palm and hookeri... :unsure:

As you can see below, on the Houailou the leaflets are held at a slight upward angle - at almost 45˚ to one another - as opposed to almost flat on the C. macrocarpa.

post-11-007376400 1303337637_thumb.jpg

post-11-057650500 1303337645_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

LJG

As you can see below, on the Houailou the leaflets are held at a slight upward angle - at almost 45˚ to one another - as opposed to almost flat on the C. macrocarpa.

A very smart person must have told you that :)

BS Man about Palms

Before I saw more than one or two, I thought the same thing...once you see several, its very easy to tell..

Not to mention they usually have a blue tint to the leaves.. :)

Palmzilla

Best Chambeyronia by far! They take full sun better than the others too

Braden

LauraAnu

Now Dean,

That picture has me wanting one of these too :( I guess another RPS order is in the works :rolleyes:

Laura

LauraAnu

Meg,

Threads like these are doing nothing for my illness :lol: Great looking palm though :drool:

Laura

Dypsisdean

I was almost going to give you credit - almost :)

LJG

I was almost going to give you credit - almost :)

:)

I wish that were mine to start. I got that from Marcus and he got it from Toby :) But it is dead on for ID.

Mandrew968

A blue tint to the leaf? I've seen the nice purple tint on Hookeri--Once they reach a decent size, they can all take sun, right?

BS Man about Palms

A blue tint to the leaf? I've seen the nice purple tint on Hookeri--Once they reach a decent size, they can all take sun, right?

Overall they remind me of a K. oliviformis crossed with a hookeri..

Mandrew968

All three grow to about the same size? Not including lepidota...

brentthebarber

Do the Chambeyronia Houailou do well near the ocean? I have a couple C. Hookeri and Macrocarpas that do great here in San Diego.

~Brent

pogobob

Do the Chambeyronia Houailou do well near the ocean? I have a couple C. Hookeri and Macrocarpas that do great here in San Diego.

~Brent

Si mon!

BS Man about Palms

~Brent

WElcome Brent!!

Do a search and you find several quite happy on the coast. Mine included.

Mandrew968

Just picked one up, yesterday--they are quite a bit pricier than the hookeri or macrocarpa. Are they from New Cal? The name sounds Hawaiian...

BS Man about Palms

From an area of New cal yes.

Less available, slower growing, higher price.

Does yours still have the entire leaf? or started going pinnate?

show a pic. :)

Mandrew968

I'll get a pic in this weekend--it's still simple leaf with an orangish rachis(reminded me a bit of pelagodoxas that I've seen, color wise). Guessing, I'd say it has 8 leaves and is about one foot tall.

palmcurry

Before I saw more than one or two, I thought the same thing...once you see several, its very easy to tell..

Not to mention they usually have a blue tint to the leaves.. :)

Like Bill said. For me each leaf is more 'sword like' than the other Chambeyronias.

Mandrew968

'Sword like'? Phoenix sylvestris and trithrinax are sword like, IMO--I have no idea what you mean, Palmcurry...

Mandrew968

Here she is.

post-5491-037866700 1304256638_thumb.jpg

post-5491-056086500 1304256644_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

chakoro

Here she is.

Ay,Andrew you look like a proud father with his new born babe :) houailou`s are very special IMO.Have you seen the pics on the RPS site? If not check em out very nice indeed.Regards Craig.

Mandrew968

Thanks, Craig :) I love getting new palms--that pick looks like a mini rhopie. Can't grow those here! This'll be my substitute :)

Edited by Mandrew968

Tomw

Wow, what a cool looking palm!

Mandrew968

Update: She has put out two leaves and a spike since the last photos. Still not pinnate yet, but she's faster than my regular macrocarpa, that's in the ground and the same size, comparatively. I also repotted her since the last photos...

post-5491-096165100 1312033746_thumb.jpg

post-5491-051711200 1312033767_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

Well, I thought the photos were switched, but the last ones do look like a chamby houailou.... Just usually don't see the "orange" color on them.

Carlo Morici

It is an exciting palm indeed . The few ones we tried in Tenerife are giving great results.

The stiff, though leaves endure hard conditions, probably much better than C.macrocarpa. The ones in full burning sun show the best aspect and the largest size. I wish I had some time to upload the pics of the one at the Palmetum, with its typically pinkish new leaf.

"hookeri" is just one more form of C. macrocarpa, while Houailou has a different "flavour". I believe that it might be described as a new species, as the differences are showing up.

Carlo

Mandrew968

Not yet pinnate, but already showing some pink. This photo was taken two days ago.

post-5491-017736000 1313450493_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tyrone

I'm waiting for my seeds to turn up. :(

DoomsDave

Dean, very nice!

Where was that picture taken, and how old are the palms . . . ?

Mandrew968

Update on mine. Again, this palm is very fast for me. :)

post-5491-035903500 1315499223_thumb.jpg

post-5491-087713900 1315499231_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mandrew968

Any takers on whether or not the next leaf will be pinnate? :winkie:

PalmatierMeg

I just potted up mine to a 7g. It's growing gangbusters but I will wait till spring to plant it. I need to update my photos.

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

I have noticed the more shade they are in, the longer they will stay entire leaf..

Mandrew968

Another new leaf.

post-5491-060096200 1321060395_thumb.jpg

post-5491-042844800 1321060416_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

PalmatierMeg

I took these photos Oct 30. I think I posted them elsewhere, but this palm is worthy of re-runs. I ended up planting it because it was climbing out of the 7g pot I moved it to in early Sept. I couldn't see making it wait till spring to go into the ground. This thing is quick and tough - a great palm

Chambeyronia Houailou

post-1349-002538100 1321061186_thumb.jpg post-1349-035665100 1321061200_thumb.jpg

post-1349-021947900 1321061217_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Mandrew968

Just plain lovely--my favorite palm, currently. :)