IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Interview with Ken Johnson

Walter John

Yes fishing is something I do as i have time. About twice a week. Stone Crabs are my specialty these days. I even took MattyB and Pohonkalapa with me once. Paul has a big problem :sick: but he hung in like a champ.

I have been crewing on a 55' sport fish for a few years now and have seen many sailfish and tuna. We don't eat the sails but guess what happens to the tuna? Sushi, seviche, tataki. All good stuff. Raw fish is better than cooked in my book. The best fish I ever had made into sushi was Wahoo. My son landed a 55 pounder one day while fishing for dolphin (dorado, not the mammal).

The Stone Crabs get stored for a big party twice a year where we eat raw oysters and the girls bring lots of bread, cake and cookies! Poolside with salt on the rim of our drinks.

Years ago I posted a picture here of me in the water with a whale shark. It was a small one. About 4 thousand pounds! We were in 1200' of water with no land in sight. Friendly fish!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Thank you John for that ambient interlude, question Ken on palm growing at home. We all know that gardeners and their assistants at botanical gardens and professional palm nurserymen all have the time and a much gathered database of superior knowledge from sheer experience of how to manage growth and planting of palms including the ongoing maintenance, the fertilising methods and techniques, natural manures, herbicides, the art of mulching, what types of mulch to use, what breaks down best, how to apply, the drainage suitability and adaptability concepts, what best potting mixes to use for which species of palm, and when to pot up palms, which species behave better with the varying pot sizes, all about the soil types and how they can be adjusted to suit particular species and ....oh s$#@, I've forgotten the question. :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Following on from most of what I said previously, do you see that anyone with enough basic knowledge, should be able to grow themselves a wonderful tropical appearing palm garden, with palms that match their own climate ?

Secondly what groups of palms do you recommend should be placed together for that tropical look, given say the usage of a group of 5 different species. This could then be duplicated with a further group of 5 and another etc, mixing fan palms with pinnate. Using a sub-tropical climate as guide.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I think I can combine the questions to ask..How can a palm lover design and build a tropical palm garden either with a small budget or a large one and enjoy it for years to come?

I have seen here on Palm Talk pictures of many of our members gardens and I can tell you some of them have it figured out. There are many styles and approaches from the "Velez" look, crowded together, all the way to the minimalist approach with many palms of just a few species but several things remain in common. Choice of palms for your area is one. Final heights after 5, 10 , and 20 years of growth is another. Function of the design is a third. Just to start with the basics.

When choosing the palms one important rule is not to "zone push". Try to stick with the tried and true palms for your Temps. and soil type as well as rainfall amount. Palms that die easily are of little long term use. At the same time you may not want common palms so searching for the oddities may be your focus too. If you are starting from seed or from full sized plants check and double check that you are getting what you think you are. Many palms mimic each other so it is easy to get mixed up.

Once you have a "pallet" picked out you can then see how they may fit in your garden. Remember that they grow up. You must think ahead or you may for example plant that cute little Bismarkia near the front door only to see it consume your house. A quick lesson or two on design from a book or professional is a good idea for the more serious garden. This is where you use lots of imagination to "see" the future garden.

Function is sometimes hard to understand but it refers to things like shade, wind blocks, visual suggestion ( for example how a person who knows nothing about palms feels when they see your garden), visual blockers (hiding the fire hydrant for example), hand holds to balance in a sloping garden, bird attractants, using the smell of the flowers for a specific area and more.

Now what about the extreme gardeners, ones that use hot houses and such? Don't worry, the same rules apply you will just have more work and be busier. The pallet of palms you can grow will be larger and weather you want palms everywhere or you have just a few types your options are expanded. You may want to collect just the rarest or most colorful or even the most odd.

I have seen it all and the good ones have one thing in common. Healthy palms. Keeping your garden healthy can be tricky so studding fertilizers and other maintenance tips can be crucial. It may help to tour gardens with you local group and look for the healthiest palms and ask the grower what they are doing. They will tell you I'm sure as we all like to share so see what style of maintenance you like. If you have a few extra bucks get a soil sample analyzed at the local lab both before and after a year or so to see if you are getting the nutrients in the correct ratios.

Theres some basic stuff Wal. I am always here in this forum and myself and many others try to answer questions so much of the research can be done right here. Ain't Palm Talk Great?

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

i think you should write a book. :winkie:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

:interesting::greenthumb:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Good stuff, guys! Ken--can I get an invite for me and the family, to the big stone crab party???? :drool: Sounds like a pretty cool time!

The interviewer, for those who haven't met me in photoperson.

post-51-038918200 1303382464_thumb.jpgpost-51-061972300 1303382486_thumb.jpgpost-51-058972500 1303382480_thumb.jpgpost-51-059314100 1303382494_thumb.jpg

I was born in 19archontophoenix as the seasons warmed. I had blonde hair as a child until my father cut it off, and sold it to buy pumpkin seeds. I have never been able to look a pumpkin in the eye since. I was an only child, apart from my sisters and brothers and learnt to fend for myself as I was never befended. Enough of me, let's see some photos of Ken.

Oh, what is this "Stone Crab Party" all about ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi again Ken, your tree transplanting skills seem to be at another level from the norm, would you say that it helps to have a little green thumb, a pinch of magic passion for the world of palms and flora generally. Not something that anyone can come along and do, you would have to feel the love...so to speak. Care to comment ? And what about the Stone Crab festival ? sounds fun, how long has this being going on ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The short answer is yes Wal I do have a passion for transplanting. I have shown that indeed any palm can be transplanted and have found ways to 'read" the palm during the transplant so that I know I will be successfully. It is very much like being a doctor but plants are the patients. (malpractice insurance is cheaper too).

The people I meet in this profession are some of the best there are. In both buying and selling I have found people that are friendly and courteous. Even here on Palm Talk I find such folks and it makes working with palms a pleasure.

Here are pix of me on the 55, a big stone crab and a Copernicia bailyana transplant.

The stone crab parties have a short guest list. To get in you need to have 5 traps, chip in for gas and go out twice a month.

post-50-006469700 1303477178_thumb.jpg

post-50-034258900 1303478128_thumb.jpg

post-50-090595300 1303479164_thumb.jpg

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

The short answer is yes Wal I do have a passion for transplanting. I have shown that indeed any palm can be transplanted and have found ways to 'read" the palm during the transplant so that I know I will be successfully. It is very much like being a doctor but plants are the patients. (malpractice insurance is cheaper too).

The people I meet in this profession are some of the best there are. In both buying and selling I have found people that are friendly and courteous. Even here on Palm Talk I find such folks and it makes working with palms a pleasure.

Here are pix of me on the 55, a big stone crab and a Copernicia bailyana transplant.

The stone crab parties have a short guest list. To get in you need to have 5 traps, chip in for gas and go out twice a month.

Wow - that crab looks stoned Ken. :blink:

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

So, Ken, do you knit your own crabbing gloves? Something to do while waiting for hurricanes? Hey, you might have a hurricane story or two, no? With or without palms?

Ken, as a wet-behind-the-ears Director for the IPS, I take your comments about the importance of PalmTalk very seriously, and I appreciate it that someone of your standing among palm people of the world understands and stands up for the great value of PalmTalk to the future of the IPS. I salute you! (Reference post #s 37 and 38 if you missed it, folks.)

This is great fun, Ken and Wal, you guys are superstars. :winkie:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wall

great pics! Every year I try to look a pumpkin into the eyes...but can't find the eyes!

Ken, Great stories! I agree write a book!

:lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Well look, Ken has just stepped back into the studio, have a seat Ken, you comfortable ?

Now let's get straight down to tin tacks shall we,could you respond to the following please, take your time now and look into camera three.

How do roots respond to being cut?

How does the palm survive with less than 10% of its roots?

What is a root ball and where do I get tickets ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Are you a crab hugger or do you take both claws...

I've always heard your supposed to take just one so it can defend, and regenerate..

But I've never seen that in the FWC regs...

I take 'em both.

Have you heard about Blues going no harvest... Imagine that.

Endangered BlueCrabs...

The RedFish will be VERY happy with the FWC.

~Ray.

You two are rock stars.

I may need to get a autographed shirt or sumthin. :blink:

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

They've amended their website...

I reckon you can...

This is drag n drop'd from their page @ http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/stone-crabs/

"

Can both stone crab claws be harvested?

Both claws of a stone crab may be harvested lawfully if they are of legal size. Although it is currently lawful to harvest both of a stone crab's claws this practice leaves the stone crab with few alternatives to defend itself from predators.

Although the crab can still obtain minimal amounts of food with no claws, having one claw (if the other one is harvested) will enable the crab to obtain greater amounts of food in a shorter amount of time. Stone crabs (like other crustaceans) have the ability to grow back their claws, but this process requires a large amount of energy in the form of food.

The quicker the crab can obtain the energy required to molt and grow its lost claw, the sooner this renewable delicacy will have another claw to replace the missing claw.

"

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Wow we have a guest interviewer too. I will answer a few now and the rest later.

About the roots responding to being cut. I have posted here info from UF about palm research they have done and some people have been leery of the published results. I understand this as the conditions in the "lab" may be different that your conditions and that can make a difference in the results. I mention this because one of the widely believed results ( I believed it to for a while) was that all roots die all the way back to the trunk when cut. This was shown by UF researchers in Sabal palmetto. They did a lot of work on Sabal because there is a huge industry in transplanting them from the wild and info on how to keep them alive is good for that industry. Well I made my own observations in real world conditions (South Florida "soils" are brutally poor.)and found that after cutting the roots and leaving the ditch open that when I returned 4-5 weeks later and dug back toward the trunk, following a root, I found the root alive and branching about 10 centimeters back from the cut.

I'll be back with more after this quick break. Wal, can I get a drink?

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

sure Ken, make it a double for me thanks

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I do know that palms send out new roots from the trunk. I do not know how many and at what time but I have a feeling that when it is hot and wet more new roots are being pushed from the trunk. Also it may be able to be shown that when a palm is stressed from having its roots cut that it produces roots from the trunk at a faster or greater rate (given heat and water). Thus root pruning may stimulate root growth from the trunk. I am also pretty sure root pruning causes advanced branching of the cut roots.

Now the question of how does a palm survive with so few roots left. I have heard many people say "look how small the root ball is" Well the size is what the person digging it makes it. To get all the roots during a transplant of a big palm it would mean having a mass so big that it would not fit on a truck. Trucks are 8 feet wide and roots can be 50 feet long. So what is left is a tiny portion of the roots. So how DOES a palm survive with so few roots? The answer is that it barely does. In fact it is so close to death that any mistake could kill it. So how do we get away with it so often? When the palm is root pruned it will start to use its reserves of water and food that are stored in the trunk. (I have seen the trunk get thinner from this)The palm also starts to shed a leaf or two prematurely. The reserves must be used to push new rots and to branch cut ones.So whats happening is that during root pruning we are conditioning the palm for its transplant. When the day comes to shift it the palm will have enough new and healed branched roots to get a new start and to start building reserves again. The trunk will thicken during this period. If the palm is moved too quick or gets dry and cold it can kill the palm in just a few days. All that being said sometimes a palm can be moved right away with a poor root ball and still live. Why? because it has just enough stored reserves to get some new roots going. This sometimes causes a skinny spot in the developing trunk from it being stressed so much.

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Rootball is great game, sort of like a more rustic version of Rollerball.

Lots of equipment, but no corporate anthems.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have transplanted some palms that some people told me can't be moved, includling a parajube tor tor (tor-tured? :blink: )

Those new roots that come out after the trenching are like snakes, poised to strike . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Are you a crab hugger or do you take both claws...

I've always heard your supposed to take just one so it can defend, and regenerate..

But I've never seen that in the FWC regs...

I take 'em both.

Have you heard about Blues going no harvest... Imagine that.

Endangered BlueCrabs...

The RedFish will be VERY happy with the FWC.

~Ray.

You two are rock stars.

I may need to get a autographed shirt or sumthin. :blink:

Glad you like our interview Ray! :D

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Hello viewers, hello Ken, you're looking sharp tonight, great shirt by the way. A couple of final questions for you Ken, we need to wrap this up as there are a couple more palm legends waiting in the wings to continue this interview series. I would like to mention at this point that people have been tremendous in acknowledging and appreciating this idea of ours and we only hope you come back and visit as more Palm identities will be interviewed here soon on PT TV.

I know it can very difficult to formulate one's own top ten favorite palm listing, but I wonder if you could humor the audience by giving it a go. So Ken, would you be so kind as to list in order your top ten favorite palm species, choosing palms from and for any type of climate. In other words they may not be able to be grown successfully where you live, so it would indeed be your top ten.

Finally, what else can we do to promote palm trees for our own areas from where we sit, that is each of us here on palmtalk, from all walks of life and from many different countries throughout the world, what can we do, what can be done and what has to be done ?.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Great interview Wal and Ken.

I learned a lot about both of you!

KPL

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Great interview Wal and Ken.

I learned a lot about both of you!

KPL

Thanks for your appreciation Karolyn, not sure how you learned too much about me, maybe I should get interviewed, although I'd like to have a couple more noble notables through the studio first. Besides who'd be game to interview moi ?

Still waiting for Ken to return first to reply to his final Qs. They are a bit thought provoking so I told him to take his time.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I am ready! My top ten.

#10 Rhapis laosensis

#9 Cyrtostaches Renda Var. Theodora Buhler

#8 Chamaedorea stolonifera

#7 Lodoicea maldivica

#6 Corypha umbraculifera

#5 Tahina spectabilis

#4 Ceroxylon quindiuense

#3 Ptychosperma waitianum

#2 Copernicia bailyana

#1 Satakentia liukiuensis

So there you go. For sure this leaves out some great looking palms but ten it is.

You final question about promoting palms, which is one of the biggest missions of I.P.S., I can say that this web site alone has gone miles toward exposing people to I.P.S. and palms around the world. We now have participants talking to each other instantly in the chat room. This used to happen only once every two years for a small group of people at Biennials and now it happens 24 hours a day every day! This is a huge advancement in spreading palm knowledge and of establishing friendships and business among palm lovers.

The posts here with pictures and descriptions are so numerous that a new palm enthusiast can come here alone and learn more about palms than I could with every book available 25 years ago. The IPS is brilliant in starting this web site! Now I never meet a palm lover that has not been here except for the newest palmophiles who are quick to go home and log on.

For the future I see local palm organizations traveling to each others gardens and having huge parties celebrating palms. People will pay to do this and their palm groups will use the money to donate to Universities for research. That research will lead to DNA studies that will guide us toward all the answers we have about palm relatedness. Also, in the future, using donated monies from palm societies, all insects and diseases that ravage palms will be understood and we will learn how to prevent their damage.

Thanks for this opportunity to answer your questions Wal. I hope that others will share their experiences here and I urge you to continue in your endeavors to promote palms and the IPS!

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

I am ready! My top ten.

#10 Rhapis laosensis

#7 Lodoicea maldivica

#6 Corypha umbraculifera

#5 Tahina spectabilis

#4 Ceroxylon quindiuense

#2 Copernicia bailyana

I'll take one of each...in my dreams

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

the top choice is kinda surprising. i wasnt expecting that. :huh:

still "warning-free."

numero uno

satakentia_liukiensis2.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

I am ready! My top ten.

#10 Rhapis laosensis

#7 Lodoicea maldivica

#6 Corypha umbraculifera

#5 Tahina spectabilis

#4 Ceroxylon quindiuense

#2 Copernicia bailyana

So there you go. For sure this leaves out some great looking palms but ten it is.

You final question about promoting palms, which is one of the biggest missions of I.P.S., I can say that this web site alone has gone miles toward exposing people to I.P.S. and palms around the world. We now have participants talking to each other instantly in the chat room. This used to happen only once every two years for a small group of people at Biennials and now it happens 24 hours a day every day! This is a huge advancement in spreading palm knowledge and of establishing friendships and business among palm lovers.

The posts here with pictures and descriptions are so numerous that a new palm enthusiast can come here alone and learn more about palms than I could with every book available 25 years ago. The IPS is brilliant in starting this web site! Now I never meet a palm lover that has not been here except for the newest palmophiles who are quick to go home and log on.

For the future I see local palm organizations traveling to each others gardens and having huge parties celebrating palms. People will pay to do this and their palm groups will use the money to donate to Universities for research. That research will lead to DNA studies that will guide us toward all the answers we have about palm relatedness. Also, in the future, using donated monies from palm societies, all insects and diseases that ravage palms will be understood and we will learn how to prevent their damage.

Thanks for this opportunity to answer your questions Wal. I hope that others will share their experiences here and I urge you to continue in your endeavors to promote palms and the IPS!

Bravo Ken, a great finish, thanks for the interview, I had a stack of fun along the way and I'd like to think I've made a new friend or two. Put it this way, if you turned up here I'd give you a feed and lodging.. :D

More interviews to come folks, so don't go away....

let's hear it for Ken.......... :yay:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

the top choice is kinda surprising. i wasnt expecting that. :huh:

sorry ken,i misread your list & thought the rhapis was #1.now it all makes sense. :)

still "warning-free."

Is anyone else very surprised by this list? You have a Ptycho above Ceroxylon... and I don't have to lecture Mr. Johnson on the genus Copernicia, but have you ever heard of the little town of Falla, Cuba? Really, I like all of your selections, and puting an order to them is insignificant. I'm just saying my top ten would contain at least 15 palms! :lol:

My tope ten contains, oh, 25 . . .

Is anyone else very surprised by this list? You have a Ptycho above Ceroxylon... and I don't have to lecture Mr. Johnson on the genus Copernicia, but have you ever heard of the little town of Falla, Cuba? Really, I like all of your selections, and puting an order to them is insignificant. I'm just saying my top ten would contain at least 15 palms! :lol:

My tope ten contains, oh, 25 . . .

This is why I interviewed Ken, he is good at math.

I think everyone's top 10 changes from week to week.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bravo!!!!!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)