IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yellowy fronds....

epicure3

Will fronds that turn yellowy in winter due to their marginality (if that's a word)turn green again when it warms up? Does it depend on the species?

Curious. My spindle fronds turns a little yellowy in the winter but they seem to be green again in spring with no loss of any fronds. Maybe they are still yellowy and I just don't notice.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

In my opinion, a frond that turns yellow can't turn back to green.  But any new growth will be green.  It could be yellow for other reasons, like lack of water.  I am not aware of any palms fronds that go from green to yellow to back to green.

in my experience (limited when it comes to palms) when a leaf goes green it means its an old leaf that will eventally wither. if a lower leaf I don't worry but if was an upper leaf I'd look for trouble somewhere! depends on the palm I suppose.

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Hi,

As Jim said, once a frond turns yellow, it won't green up again.

I notice your signature says you're in zone 10b.  Unless you've had an uncharacteristic cold snap, I doubt it's the weather.  I'm in zone 10a (trying for a 10b hehe) and I've had my spindle in the ground for - I think - about 6 years.  The only time it got a yellow-y frond (kind of a dull orange-y yellow) was when it needed a potassium boost.  I gave it what it needed and the next frond to emerge was green.

Isn't it true that in winter, once the temps fall below around 60, palms can't take up nutrients as efficiently?

Once, my spindle took a slight freeze (no frost) and lost 3 fronds.  They didn't turn yellow.  They just browned up and shriveled.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Don't get confused with yellowing as in aging to fading of green as in not ideal climate (marginals etc), rain required etc.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(SunnyFl @ Jan. 06 2007,19:30)

Hi,

As Jim said, once a frond turns yellow, it won't green up again.

I notice your signature says you're in zone 10b.  Unless you've had an uncharacteristic cold snap, I doubt it's the weather.  I'm in zone 10a (trying for a 10b hehe) and I've had my spindle in the ground for - I think - about 6 years.  The only time it got a yellow-y frond (kind of a dull orange-y yellow) was when it needed a potassium boost.  I gave it what it needed and the next frond to emerge was green.

Isn't it true that in winter, once the temps fall below around 60, palms can't take up nutrients as efficiently?

Once, my spindle took a slight freeze (no frost) and lost 3 fronds.  They didn't turn yellow.  They just browned up and shriveled.

That's true Sunny, I am in a zone 10b. But remember, that's a SoCal 10b. My spindle tends to yellow on the the top of the fronds with the consistently cool temps we have in winter. The bottoms stay green for whatever reason. It looks very healthy otherwise.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I swear I had a palm green up considerably after applying KNO3 recently.  Palm was slightly chloric and wanted to see what would happen with some readily available N.  The palm in this anecdotal account of post emergent greening is a  foxy lady.

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

(Alan_Tampa @ Jan. 07 2007,10:56)

I swear I had a palm green up considerably after applying KNO3 recently.  Palm was slightly chloric and wanted to see what would happen with some readily available N.  The palm in this anecdotal account of post emergent greening is a  foxy lady.

Hi Alan, I only just observed that my green foxylady would have to have the greenest leaflets of all my palms.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I have noticed that quite a few of my palms will produce new leaves that are slightly yellow and then turn darker and more green over time, although I don't suppose this is in any way related to your experience.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Epicure3,

Wal and Alan is correct. Palm leaves that tun a yellowish color can certainly green back up. During the cooler months when palms and most other plants shut down and grow very slow compared to the hotter months, they are taking up less plant food, which can cause some yellowing.I would leave things alone now and wait until spring before you apply some palm fertilizer. You should then see a gradual greening up.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

John- The So Cal palm guide notes that the H. Versha. tends to yellow up a little in the winter if cold.  Mine does a bit too.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 06 2007,21:42)

Epicure3,

Wal and Alan is correct. Palm leaves that tun a yellowish color can certainly green back up. During the cooler months when palms and most other plants shut down and grow very slow compared to the hotter months, they are taking up less plant food, which can cause some yellowing.I would leave things alone now and wait until spring before you apply some palm fertilizer. You should then see a gradual greening up.

Jeff

OK. Well at least I'm not going nuts as I swear I don't notice it in the warmer months.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jan. 06 2007,22:35)

John- The So Cal palm guide notes that the H. Versha. tends to yellow up a little in the winter if cold.  Mine does a bit too.

Thanks BS. I just noticed that as well.

Here's a pic

hyophorbeversch.jpg

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

• 8 years later...

I've noticed, for the second winter in a row, many of my palms quickly turn yellow in the winter while others tend to stay greener. Do the palms that stay greener have a better chance of continuing to grow in the winter and should therefore continue to be watered? While the yellow ones aren't taking up nutrients and should be kept drier?