Eric in Orlando

Central Florida getting hammered with severe storms

Eric in Orlando

We have been getting pounded with storms since yesterday. Severe storms came through late yesterday afternoon and now nonstop today. Trees are down everywhere. Lots of thundersorm and tornado warnings. In a break between storms I went out and 3 big laurel oaks are down (good riddance) here at Leu Gardens. One took out 2 40ft tall Livistona chinensis. Also several old camellias were crushed. Its supposed to be this way all day. We have gotten over 3 inches of rain so far and had up to 75mph winds. Its like a mini hurricane. The Garden is just covered in debris; leaves, twigs,branches spanish moss,palm fronds.

At least we are getting rain in the dry season.

PalmatierMeg

Sorry to hear that, Eric. I just heard there is a tornado on the ground in Brandon. Storms are supposed to reach here this afternoon. Sounds like things will get really nasty.

Eric in Orlando

It started here yesterday about 4:30pm

krishnaraoji88

It has been downright scary here in North Tampa. Where I live is not too far from Brandon :( We got texts from USF saying to stay indoors and apparently tornado sirens have gone off at the school today... yet I still had to go in for a test :wacko: The irony of it all

-Krishna

palmmermaid

Sorry to hear about the bad weather. The weather guys keep saying we are in for it but nothing yet.

Eric in Orlando

Almost 3.75 inches of rain today so far and it is still raining hard. We measured about .50" yesterday and got 1.5" on Monday.

fastfeat

Yeah,

I was watching on the Weather Channel today-- looks pretty rough.

Here in SoCal, only the third day since last Thanksgiving that I've worn shorts. Mid 80s F, but back to mid 60s by Sat.

Personally, I'd rather be riding the storms out...

_Rich

We were out of power at work from 12:15 unitl well after 5:00 - when we finaly packed it in and called it a day. Confirmed tornado in Lakeland with wind gusts anywhere from 60 - 90 mph across the region. Although I haven't heard much since I originally caught wind of it - there was apparently a building at the Lakeland airport where the Sun n' Fun fly in is - that collapsed and had upwards of 70 people in it. Downed trees and leaf litter everywhere with some moderate flooding - where we saw over 3" inches a couple of days back.

Rich

spockvr6

4.56" of rain at my house yesterday. The plants are loving it!

Palmə häl′ik

My power was out from noon until 0130 this morning.

Reminded me of Hurricane Charlie. OMG.

Got to fire up the generator for the first time in awhile though...

I heard there were 70mph+ winds here in B-Town.

There are tipped oaks all over town...

Branches all over the roads, looks like hurricane aftermath...

The fruit stand @ US301 and Bloomingdales completely gone.

Wiped out.

I've got serious palm tip-over-age...

I'll be setting bricks or something out there to stabalize a few new plantings... :(

They ought to be alright.

SubTropicRay

A nasty tornado ripped through south Tampa about 1 mile from my home. Thankfully, I experienced no damage. A few larger previously immovable potted palms were laying on their sides. This was the same cell that ripped through Indian Rocks Beach where 70+ mph winds were clocked.

gsytch

To put the rain in perspective: yearly avg to date: 7.98" Total actual YTD at my house: 18.89"

Rainfall March 28 1.55" March 30 1.22" March 31 6.01" THATS WET! One twister went right over my house but was not on the ground. The house shook. We were in the bathroom. Flooding everywhere. As a plus - the plants are all growing like mad. I better not hear drought until it stops raining for a month (which it will do)....

Palmə häl′ik

A nasty tornado ripped through south Tampa about 1 mile from my home. Thankfully, I experienced no damage. A few larger previously immovable potted palms were laying on their sides. This was the same cell that ripped through Indian Rocks Beach where 70+ mph winds were clocked.

I wish that tornado wiped out those Adondias on Kennedy so they can replace 'em with somethin' nicer, and bigger... Like the almighty ROYALE! :drool:

spockvr6

I wish that tornado wiped out those Adondias on Kennedy so they can replace 'em with somethin' nicer, and bigger... Like the almighty ROYALE! :drool:

That would be sweet looking.

I think Bayshore Drive many moons ago used to be lined with Royals.

Palmə häl′ik

I noticed the folks with the coconuts near Gandy on BayShore are gone... They've always looked rough after every winter for I don't know how long... But the Royals steadily thrive on BayShore... I think the temps are better for them now-adays; I reckon.

Palmə häl′ik

They need to plant more.

The City of Tampa needs to get w a new landscape gig slash broker whatever with the new Mayor n all...

Palmə häl′ik

ChannelSide area could use a brokers touch!

The new Ribbons look good, but they could've done better.

There's some Bird of Paradises and FoxTails that didn't skip a beat around the bend....

I'll betcha it's a good z10b right there.

~Ray.