IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Florida getting hammered with severe storms

Eric in Orlando

We have been getting pounded with storms since yesterday. Severe storms came through late yesterday afternoon and now nonstop today. Trees are down everywhere. Lots of thundersorm and tornado warnings. In a break between storms I went out and 3 big laurel oaks are down (good riddance) here at Leu Gardens. One took out 2 40ft tall Livistona chinensis. Also several old camellias were crushed. Its supposed to be this way all day. We have gotten over 3 inches of rain so far and had up to 75mph winds. Its like a mini hurricane. The Garden is just covered in debris; leaves, twigs,branches spanish moss,palm fronds.

At least we are getting rain in the dry season.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Sorry to hear that, Eric. I just heard there is a tornado on the ground in Brandon. Storms are supposed to reach here this afternoon. Sounds like things will get really nasty.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It started here yesterday about 4:30pm

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

It has been downright scary here in North Tampa. Where I live is not too far from Brandon :( We got texts from USF saying to stay indoors and apparently tornado sirens have gone off at the school today... yet I still had to go in for a test :wacko: The irony of it all

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Sorry to hear about the bad weather. The weather guys keep saying we are in for it but nothing yet.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Almost 3.75 inches of rain today so far and it is still raining hard. We measured about .50" yesterday and got 1.5" on Monday.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Yeah,

I was watching on the Weather Channel today-- looks pretty rough.

Here in SoCal, only the third day since last Thanksgiving that I've worn shorts. Mid 80s F, but back to mid 60s by Sat.

Personally, I'd rather be riding the storms out...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

We were out of power at work from 12:15 unitl well after 5:00 - when we finaly packed it in and called it a day. Confirmed tornado in Lakeland with wind gusts anywhere from 60 - 90 mph across the region. Although I haven't heard much since I originally caught wind of it - there was apparently a building at the Lakeland airport where the Sun n' Fun fly in is - that collapsed and had upwards of 70 people in it. Downed trees and leaf litter everywhere with some moderate flooding - where we saw over 3" inches a couple of days back.

Rich

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

4.56" of rain at my house yesterday. The plants are loving it!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

My power was out from noon until 0130 this morning.

Reminded me of Hurricane Charlie. OMG.

Got to fire up the generator for the first time in awhile though...

I heard there were 70mph+ winds here in B-Town.

There are tipped oaks all over town...

Branches all over the roads, looks like hurricane aftermath...

The fruit stand @ US301 and Bloomingdales completely gone.

Wiped out.

I've got serious palm tip-over-age...

I'll be setting bricks or something out there to stabalize a few new plantings... :(

They ought to be alright.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

A nasty tornado ripped through south Tampa about 1 mile from my home. Thankfully, I experienced no damage. A few larger previously immovable potted palms were laying on their sides. This was the same cell that ripped through Indian Rocks Beach where 70+ mph winds were clocked.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

To put the rain in perspective: yearly avg to date: 7.98" Total actual YTD at my house: 18.89"

Rainfall March 28 1.55" March 30 1.22" March 31 6.01" THATS WET! One twister went right over my house but was not on the ground. The house shook. We were in the bathroom. Flooding everywhere. As a plus - the plants are all growing like mad. I better not hear drought until it stops raining for a month (which it will do)....

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

A nasty tornado ripped through south Tampa about 1 mile from my home. Thankfully, I experienced no damage. A few larger previously immovable potted palms were laying on their sides. This was the same cell that ripped through Indian Rocks Beach where 70+ mph winds were clocked.

I wish that tornado wiped out those Adondias on Kennedy so they can replace 'em with somethin' nicer, and bigger... Like the almighty ROYALE! :drool:

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I wish that tornado wiped out those Adondias on Kennedy so they can replace 'em with somethin' nicer, and bigger... Like the almighty ROYALE! :drool:

That would be sweet looking.

I think Bayshore Drive many moons ago used to be lined with Royals.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I noticed the folks with the coconuts near Gandy on BayShore are gone... They've always looked rough after every winter for I don't know how long... But the Royals steadily thrive on BayShore... I think the temps are better for them now-adays; I reckon.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

They need to plant more.

The City of Tampa needs to get w a new landscape gig slash broker whatever with the new Mayor n all...

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

ChannelSide area could use a brokers touch!

The new Ribbons look good, but they could've done better.

There's some Bird of Paradises and FoxTails that didn't skip a beat around the bend....

I'll betcha it's a good z10b right there.

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy