IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Photos

Jason in Orlando

Just got a new camera and wanted to try it out.  Also needed practice posting photos in a post.  Let's see if it works...

%7Boption%7Dhttp://thumb10.webshots.net/t....MG]

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Okay.  Apparently I'll never be able to post photos here (that's not a criticism of the board, but of my computing skills).

Here's a link to the album:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/556849156amNDNh

Enjoy.

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

What you have labeled as  Dypsis cf. tsaravoasira is deff. something different. I have a big one in a 24" box and several smaller ones and none look like that. They have all of their leaves on a single plane even at a very young age.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Jason...you have a looonngg way to go...make sure you enjoy getting there.  :cool:

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Hello Jason,

You have some nice palms. I might suggest that your D. tsara. is not one (like Dave said) and looks just like D.  nauseosa. Also I'm pretty sure your D. prestoniana is not that, not sure what it is by looking at your pic.

This is a long going problem we all have with these Dypsis species and their identifications.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

The D. prestoniana I purchased a few years ago as seedlings from Kapoho.  They are very similar in appearance to the seedlings that I have of D. carlsmithii, which I germinated from seeds from RPS.  The prestoniana that I have listed as "probable" I grew from seed, but I did a poor job of record keeping then, and I lost track of what those two unidentified Dypsis are.  I'm looking forward to watching them mature in the coming years.  In the meantime, here a link to the rest of the photos I have online.  I tried to get a picture of one of each species that I'm growing, but there are stil several more to go.  Please also enjoy the photos of the orchids and the space shuttle...

http://www.webshots.com/search?....eheader

Jason

Skell's Bells

Wow Jason, do you know how difficult it is to grow that species of Ptychococcus in Florida?!  It doesn't particularly care for our colder temps or the blazing summer heat. Mine never keeps more than a leaf or two at a time.  I thought it was just me but RLR used to say it was the Ptychococcus NOT to grow in Florida.  All of the palms look great.

See you on Sunday?

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray, the Ptychos definitely do what you said.  Mine have had anywhere from 2-4 leaves at a time, never more.  They have been in heavy shade in a well protected spot.  That's probably why they're still around.  I did lose 3 of the 5 I originally had their first winter here (2004-2005).  The ones I have left tend to look kind of crappy most of the time.  These were also Kapoho products.

I'm going to try to update the Webshots site with comparison pictures of all my species to give an idea of their growth rates under average conditions.

Definitely planning on being at Leu on Sunday.  Can you email me the meeting time when it's available?

Thanks.

Jason

Skellsbells@aol.com

(10:30 on Friday night, what a social life I have...)  

:D

Skell's Bells

Jason,

PM me your cell phone #.  I have no idea what time Bobby is planning to be at Leu.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I would use photobucket or other than webshots. I say that because they seem more user friendly to me. Just copy image code and paste here. IMG_0400.jpg

David