IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I had 4 cycads stolen worth $5300.00

yachtingone

question: Who decided 4 cycads are worth that much money ? I mean, there's your problem. Get the pricing guy to take that value down. Can you sit under 'em ? Do they blow in the breeze ? Are they tranquil ?

"Look at my $5300 cycads dude"

"yeah, they're cycads, hey, what's that cool palm over there ?"

sorry to hear but please, what happened to all the cool palm threads...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

What about trespassing and vandalism? I'm sure you can figure out a way to get the $$ figure up. Sounds like it was a hate crime to me.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

As I review this particular situation, it seems like a matter for the FBI. With this case being linked to several other thefts, and the DNA evidence, I'm sure we're looking at racketeering--A mastermind(knowing which plants are the most expensive AND when to pull it off), the muscle(that isn't too smart to be leaving a shovel and DNA evidence behind); we may have stumbled onto a black market cycad ring--guns may not be a bad Idea... :hmm:

:floor:

As I review this particular situation, it seems like a matter for the FBI. With this case being linked to several other thefts, and the DNA evidence, I'm sure we're looking at racketeering--A mastermind(knowing which plants are the most expensive AND when to pull it off), the muscle(that isn't too smart to be leaving a shovel and DNA evidence behind); we may have stumbled onto a black market cycad ring--guns may not be a bad Idea... :hmm:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

While it's certainly cathartic to vilify the perp, I hope you recover your plants. The only experience I ever had with something like this, a guy grabbed a 25-gallon Dypsis decipiens from a nursery that I'd paid for - he actually told the nursery owner he was going to deliver it to me. By her description, I immediately figured who it was. After 2 trips to South O.C. (he stood me up the 1st time), I was finally able to pick up the plant. The guy's father just laughed and said "Palm trees are like women - if you turn your back, someone'll swoop in and grab 'em." I should've involved law enforcement, but since the plant was for a client, I was in a hurry to resolve the whole episode. I know there are swindlers who'd sell you a seedling Kentiopsis as a mealy bug, but I've never met anyone else in the plant world who'd grab something paid for by somebody else. Anyway, it's clear this was an inside job - he knew what he was after. Your suspicion is well-placed.

Wow. Is this a Palm Society member or someone that post here? If this story is 100% accurate, you should tell us who it is. What's to stop someone like this from doing it to another person?

Remember - we will not allow any names or inferences to a specific individual in any accusatory capacity.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

An update:

The DNA from the shovel seems to be the last clue that I know of. One thing is cool about DNA it damns the guilty:rage: & as we know it clears the innocent!:D

Thanks,

Randy

test

Daryl

Randy, sorry to hear of your losses. Hopefully the police will find the culprit and you will get your cycads back. That is such a low act.

Here is a solution to minimise future loss...

Attached Image: bigdog.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Jeff Searle has a similar mode of theft deterrent. They look really good when you see them staring back through the gate.

- Kona...

RDG2010-09-09_12-28-03.jpg

- and Kane...

RDG2010-09-09_12-27-55.jpg

- If the bite doesn't get you, the tongue will...

RDG2011-02-15_18-30-18.jpg

- Kane likes to use whole coconuts as chew toys.

RDG2011-02-15_18-53-32.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

The smell alone ought to be enough to keep any unwanted trespassers out. Only multiple cases of beer can numb the olfactory glands enough to tolerate them. :lol:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The dogs are a good idea because they'll bark at people too. Of course they might dig up plants that you don't want them to..

I sure hope that they catch the jerk who's stealing peoples plants and messing up their garden. Years ago I gave my parents a three trunked Cycas taitungensis that they put in a twenty-five gallon pot next to their front door in Encinitas. It wasn't a super valuable plant -- I had paid $75 for it -- but I was still pretty angry when I found out that somebody stole it.

Randy I'm really sorry your cycads were ripped off, I sure hope whoever did this gets caught right away. I think I would have cried too!

On a lighter note this seems like a job for 'Super Kitty'....able to spot a thief miles away.

I'd let you borrow my 'Super Kitty' but he's retired from crime fighting. At 18 years old he still scares big dogs away.

I hope you expose this person once you find out with out a doubt who it is. Shame on them!!!

bobcat.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Glad I didn't go but then again Randy would never let me in his garden in the first place. I joke not to belittle the situation but to remind all who read this that many people in our society have seen theft over the years, even I have pick up seed at FTBG. Funny thing is that all the thieves I know are still in business!

Even if this one is "caught" it will not repair the damage done. The only way to do that is to plant more palms (oops, I mean cycads)! :winkie:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Because of recent development's I can positively say I DO NOT know who stole my cycads!

There are no suspects at this time for the thefts of my plants. Any suspicion of a person you

may think did it is unwarranted!!!

Randy

test

Thats good and bad news..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Tips on keeping your gardens safe.

- Keep boundary hedges and fences in good order to keep them secure – this will help deter opportunistic thieves.

- Think about defensive planting of prickly shrubs or hedges. Thieves will think twice if the prospect of getting covered in thorns.

- Install security lighting. You may have the odd stray cat setting it off, but would-be thieves may beat a hasty retreat if they’re caught in the glare of a beam.

- Secure expensive plants with wire pegs dug into the ground around the root ball.

I agree the best medicine is to get back into gardening and if you have to install a security camera, you'll sleep better at night.

- Think about defensive planting of prickly shrubs or hedges. Thieves will think twice if the prospect of getting covered in thorns.

Bactris and Oncosperma with Calamus vines climbing the trunks and Salacca at the basesdevil.gif

Good luck in finding your lost plants Randy! Hope you find the culprit and your cycads soon.

:) Jonathan

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Randy, sorry to hear the news. Rest assured this person has no love of plants, and a somewhat cowardly, criminal mind. Let's hope those cycads come right back to you soon! smilie.gif

Tips on keeping your gardens safe.

- Keep boundary hedges and fences in good order to keep them secure – this will help deter opportunistic thieves.

- Install security lighting. You may have the odd stray cat setting it off, but would-be thieves may beat a hasty retreat if they’re caught in the glare of a beam.

- Secure expensive plants with wire pegs dug into the ground around the root ball.

I agree the best medicine is to get back into gardening and if you have to install a security camera, you'll sleep better at night.

Don't forget that there are signs and/or fake cameras with blinking lights that can be positioned so they are readily seen, and at little cost. A thief has no idea if you have real surveillance in place or not. Sneak in a real hidden camera that only takes a pic when motion is detected (instead of video), and you have a real good chance of catching a better quality image that would be useful, and with little cost.

A determined thief will just wear a mask, so a camera that can catch an image of a vehicle would be real plus.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

While it's certainly cathartic to vilify the perp, I hope you recover your plants. The only experience I ever had with something like this, a guy grabbed a 25-gallon Dypsis decipiens from a nursery that I'd paid for - he actually told the nursery owner he was going to deliver it to me. By her description, I immediately figured who it was. After 2 trips to South O.C. (he stood me up the 1st time), I was finally able to pick up the plant. The guy's father just laughed and said "Palm trees are like women - if you turn your back, someone'll swoop in and grab 'em." I should've involved law enforcement, but since the plant was for a client, I was in a hurry to resolve the whole episode. I know there are swindlers who'd sell you a seedling Kentiopsis as a mealy bug, but I've never met anyone else in the plant world who'd grab something paid for by somebody else. Anyway, it's clear this was an inside job - he knew what he was after. Your suspicion is well-placed.

Wow. Is this a Palm Society member or someone that post here? If this story is 100% accurate, you should tell us who it is. What's to stop someone like this from doing it to another person?

Remember - we will not allow any names or inferences to a specific individual in any accusatory capacity.

Mod Edit: Sorry Danny, I felt I had to delete your very well written and informative post. This topic has been walking a tightrope for a little while. And I have had to delete a lot of posts and references to make sure fingers were not being even suggestively pointed at any individuals. While your post did not do so, with all the off board dialogue being carried out regarding this matter, I want to make sure that there is no way anyone can say that PalmTalk participated in implicating any individual(s).

I allowed this discussion here only to raise the awareness of this particular theft in hopes someone had seen or heard something that could be used to help solve the crime. I would like to try and stick closer to that topic from here on out.

I get by with a little help from my fronds

I need every bodies help now!!! I need to have all tennis shoe experts to tsep up!

The pic are of the imprints of the shoe that scumbag used to rip me off.

I need an ID on this shoe with pics. There is a distict A logo by the toes.

This is the last piece of the puzzle!!!

post-1270-088669800 1301422845_thumb.jpg post-1270-047216800 1301422849_thumb.jpg

post-1270-092782800 1301422853_thumb.jpg post-1270-051128700 1301422858_thumb.jpg

Thankyou randy

CLICK ON PIC TO ENLARGE!!!!!!

What is this CSI....sorry for your loss.

It is a good thing they were not Chuck Taylors or thier might be a posse heading over to LA LA land :lol:

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Dear Randy

Very sorry to hear about your loss...But i feel that a person who frequented your farm only knew that you have such valuable Cycads collection must have done this job...i.e did any new buyer visited your property recently and was he impressed with these particular stolen plants ? If so he must be the person.

Wish you good luck in finding the person behind this work,And if these plants are stolen for a perticular 'big shot's ' Garden planting work then these cycads will not be avaliable in the secondary market.So could be very difficult to track or catch the offenders.But its high time you installed some video survilence cameras which handles night vision as a precautionary measure to safe guard the remaining collection of cycads.

Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

No worries, Mod

What about the Personal Conversation feature of my Messenger - It says I can invite up to 23 members to participate; would it pose any risk to PalmTalk for me to discuss this situation openly there?

I get by with a little help from my fronds

I need every bodies help now!!! I need to have all tennis shoe experts to tsep up!

post-1270-088669800 1301422845_thumb.jpg post-1270-047216800 1301422849_thumb.jpg

post-1270-092782800 1301422853_thumb.jpg post-1270-051128700 1301422858_thumb.jpg

Thankyou randy

It is a good thing they were not Chuck Taylors or thier might be a posse heading over to LA LA land :lol:

Chucks aren't exactly a minority shoe, if you know what I mean. I mean there's what, a billion pair in circulation as of right now?

Hey, missed you at the big meet too big to miss.

How are you, Pope of Whittier?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Randy, sorry to hear of your losses. Hopefully the police will find the culprit and you will get your cycads back. That is such a low act.

Here is a solution to minimise future loss...

post-42-044223300 1301435739_thumb.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Jeez! Is that a freakishly large dog, or a freakishly small lady? Both seem equally (im)plausible.

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

No worries, Mod

What about the Personal Conversation feature of my Messenger - It says I can invite up to 23 members to participate; would it pose any risk to PalmTalk for me to discuss this situation openly there?

Danny,

I will answer you privately.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Randy, I'm so sorry to hear such news. :( Both Justice and Karma will prevail!

Kpl

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Well what brand is PF, I was super busy this last week but I'll call you this week as well, if this was the same guy who hit me too let's go get him Randy!

I am so sorry for your loss. It pains me to see that someone with knowledge of Palms/cycads did this. Whoever it is probably has learned about cycads from palmtalk/IPS. I hope justice is brought. It is really sad that in the palm/cycad community that someone would do this.

Sorry again.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Well what brand is PF, I was super busy this last week but I'll call you this week as well, if this was the same guy who hit me too let's go get him Randy!

You got hit too? Same circumstances? Same suspect? How about some details of the theft so we can better protect ourselves? This is taking the fun out of growing Cycads.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

I will be microchipping my cycads next week! I just ordered them from the Kennel society!

Already I have installed some electronic security devises.

Until they are chipped I will ride shotgun!

The link takes you to there products microchip page.

https://www.akccar.org/cares-pub/microchip/microchipProducts.car?catalogName=ISO

Randy

test

Dear Randy

Very sorry to hear about your loss...But i feel that a person who frequented your farm only knew that you have such valuable Cycads collection must have done this job...i.e did any new buyer visited your property recently and was he impressed with these particular stolen plants ? If so he must be the person.

True, but not necessarily in person... Can you identify a place in the forum where you could have shared your expensive cycads' pictures for us (and the world) to see? Maybe the thief could have studied the picture collection and came up with a 3D model of your yard. Then attacked swiftly and precisely. How about a computer forensics job for our admins? If some IP address shows up recently, way too interested in viewing those threads. Just a thought.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Thankyou randy

Chucks aren't exactly a minority shoe, if you know what I mean. I mean there's what, a billion pair in circulation as of right now?

Hey, missed you at the big meet too big to miss.

How are you, Pope of Whittier?

I know the wife has me on a short leash and Palms are not her favorite subject.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

• 3 years later...

I'm glad for once that my feet are small. I'm sure most of you suspect me, but my size 8 1/2's declare my innocence......

What can you do... huh.gif

I hope there is some outcome to this all.

Bill - your massively tall weeds deterrent seems to be effective.

A. Thieves can't find the plants in the Daytime, let alone at dark.

B. Thieves are weary of becoming entangled - dying a slow painful death of starvation unseen

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Good question Jason. I hope the thief got caught??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 5 weeks later...

wow, i'd be pretty pissed. i live in a real quiet neighborhood filled with retirees and i work from home with my office facing the front yard and never really thought of plant theft being a real thing, or at least it was always way in the back of my mind. i mail order alot of bromeliads and had a huge stash of potted plants outisde in the front by my window and didn't give them a second thought. earlier in the week i had moved them all to the back since the front was getting way too cluttered and this thread just gave me another reason not to keep alot of potted stuff out front. time to hammer in rebar in my front sidewalk planter

That's really awful. I can't imagine how someone could want something (not necessary to live) so bad that they'd steal it. I don't see how it could return them any joy. I hope you get your plants back!

No one would steal my cycads here in Tas as no one knows what they are - :bemused: A friends wife told me that she would not pay any more than $ 15 for my 5 inch tall Macrozamia macdonnelli !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate