IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I had 4 cycads stolen worth $5300.00

yachtingone

A = Addidas?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Looks like boot print to me. I do not think it is tennis shoe.

Definatly NOT a boot print. Name of boot and pics please!

test

Randy the shoes are PF Flyers. But I don't think it's their current logo, so the shoes are a few years old.

Alex is right. These are the PF Flyers imprints in the dirt.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I bought my forth dog yesterday morning after hearing this. His dad was over 100 pounds. Doberman! Awesome little fella http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/rolleyes.gif

Braden

It is wise to be overly cautious when you have valuable plants.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

RANDY! :drool:

I am deeply sorry for this, my goodness. What a terrible story. :(

I am too far away to support you directly but I would recommend you to watch Ebay and other auctions. I share the opinion of some people who have mentioned this before: it was NOT the love to this special plants - it was just the option to make a lot of money within a very short time!

Keep my fingers cross for any success and will watch Ebay US.

Verena

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

If any one knows a guy that wear expencive PF Flyers size 12 1/4" long shoe that is a cycad expert I sure would like to hear from you.

Randy

test

It potentially could've been more than one person. A cycad expert might have come with someone "hired" to help dig and that person could be the owner of the shoes.

Shame to hear that Randy. Several months back a group of guys knocked over 3 houses on my block including mine. No plants, but thousands of dollers in yard equipment. Needless to say, we now have several large dogs.

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

With the info you already have, did you or have you considered going to the wider press, evening news, etc? They will for sure be interested due to the $$ amount, the organized nature of it, and the unusualness of the case. Maybe have the wider public help on your search.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I am pleased to see this topic is getting the attention I think it deserves.

We have not crossed the line yet, but are getting closer and we need to be careful. I want to be very clear that we will not permit any public accusations or insinuations here. Names or implications regarding suspects will be strictly prohibited unless there is an arrest or conviction. Protection of the innocent is something we should all value. So please, let's utilize this forum as a resource to spread only factually accurate information and save suspicions, rumors, and theories for your private conversations.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I supervise the DNA testing laboratory for a local law enforcement agency in San Diego. We have 17 analysts working fulltime just with DNA testing. 50% of our case work is property crimes and yes we would in this jurisdiction take this case. We had 15 cases solved just this week where DNA evidence left at crime scenes matched the DNA from a known offender. Some things to think of.

1. Fingerprints would be important on the smooth metal portion of the shovel.

2. DNA testing is done all the time on tools. It would be best to collect it after the shovel has been processed for latent prints. You would want to only swab the area where hands would contact the shovel.

3. You need a scale in the photograph of the shoe. Otherwise you cannot recreate the exact size of the shoe. Place a ruler or yardstick near the impression and retake the image. I can take a copy of the photo and give to our Trace Evidence lab to see if they have more details of the shoe. OJ Simpson in the civil case was largely found culpible because of a rare size 12 shoe impression that came from an expensive Italian shoe.

4. The DNA swabs should not be stored in plastic but in a paper envelope within an envelope. This is so they dry out.

5. I hope whoever found the shovel handled it carefully as to not contribute their DNA or prints.

There are now nearly 2 million Californians in the DNA database and an individual ends up in it for an arrest of any felony. So if you have an arrest for any felony both fingerprints and DNA probably are on file. Many agencies have huge backlogs of cases waiting DNA. As I do not know you personally, and thus there is not a conflict of interest, I might be able to intervene and offer our laboratory to do the testing for you. This of course is with the approval of Riverside Sheriff since the case occured in their jurisdiction. Please feel free to PM and we can discuss.

I wish you the best,

Patrick

• Upvote 2

Bonita, California (San Diego)

Zone 10B

10 Year Low of 29 degrees

6 Miles from San Diego Bay

Mild winters, somewhat warm summers

10 Miles North of Mexico/USA Border

1 acre

I am pleased to see this topic is getting the attention I think it deserves.

We have not crossed the line yet, but are getting closer and we need to be careful. I want to be very clear that we will not permit any public accusations or insinuations here. Names or implications regarding suspects will be strictly prohibited unless there is an arrest or conviction. Protection of the innocent is something we should all value. So please, let's utilize this forum as a resource to spread only factually accurate information and save suspicions, rumors, and theories for your private conversations.

I hope Randy is able to get an arrest and then he can tell us who it is. Obviously I have no clue but I just really hope the person is not a Palm Society or Cycad Society member.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Randy,

I'm sure sorry for your loss. But I'm heartened by the response on this forum.

You guys are zeroing in on this creep and I'm sure he's feeling the HEAT!

Best of luck!

Kim

Randy, sorry to hear of your losses. Hopefully the police will find the culprit and you will get your cycads back. That is such a low act.

Here is a solution to minimise future loss...

post-42-044223300 1301435739_thumb.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Randy, sorry to hear of your losses. Hopefully the police will find the culprit and you will get your cycads back. That is such a low act.

Here is a solution to minimise future loss...

post-42-044223300 1301435739_thumb.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Daryl are you sure she's tough enough:lol:

test

An idea I posted on another related topic:

An enterprising individual could make the investment in the proper equipment and offer a service of "tagging" and maintaining a data base of "registered" plants. If someone wants to go in business let me know. I can help with any venture capital and setting up a viable central system to maintain records of registered plants, and a partner could do the actual tagging. Anyone interested can contact me. Such a central registering system could also be utilized internationally.

At the very least, the idea that people are having their valuable cycads tagged should put a doubt in any thief's mind about getting caught red handed and with proof that will stand up in court

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I'm glad for once that my feet are small. I'm sure most of you suspect me, but my size 8 1/2's declare my innocence......

What can you do... :huh:

I hope there is some outcome to this all.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Randy, sorry for your loss and please remember that the low life who stole your plants will be reading your posts, so don't give out anything here that might assist him to avoid detection.

regards...

Malcolm

Randy...

Your photos are great but unless the offender's footware can be forensically connected to the impressions left in your yard, they only serve to identify the make and model of the shoes. (unless of course only one such pair was manufactured and distributed in California) What do you think the chances are of the offender still having these shoes now that you have shown your hand, or made arrangements to replace or cover the loss of his shovel?

Or the chances that he may still have your plants now that he is aware that you are onto him?

As Patrick has said some scale is required in the photos, but more importantly casts should have been taken of the impressions and I assume that this would have been done. In relation to the question on fingerprinting the shovel and answered by Patrick I would just add that if the Police decided against this, then it probably had a wooden handle in which case swabbing it would have been the right thing to do.

This is an upsetting time for you and my comments are going to P you off further, but you have got to be more circumspect and only let out crucial information on a need to know basis. I know I would be disappointed in what has been made public so far if I was the investigating officer.

regards...Malcolm

Edited by malcthomas

I'm glad for once that my feet are small. I'm sure most of you suspect me, but my size 8 1/2's declare my innocence......

Bill your taller than me and I wear an 8 your back on the short list:blink:

test

Randy, sorry for your loss and please remember that the low life who stole your plants will be reading your posts, so don't give out anything here that might assist him to avoid detection.

regards...

Malcolm

Randy...

Your photos are great but unless the offender's footware can be forensically connected to the impressions left in your yard, they only serve to identify the make and model of the shoes. (unless of course only one such pair was manufactured and distributed in California) What do you think the chances are of the offender still having these shoes now that you have shown your hand, or made arrangements to replace or cover the loss of his shovel?

Or the chances that he may still have your plants now that he is aware that you are onto him?

As Patrick has said some scale is required in the photos, but more importantly casts should have been taken of the impressions and I assume that this would have been done. In relation to the question on fingerprinting the shovel and answered by Patrick I would just add that if the Police decided against this, then it probably had a wooden handle in which case swabbing it would have been the right thing to do.

This is an upsetting time for you and my comments are going to P you off further, but you have got to be more circumspect and only let out crucial information on a need to know basis. I know I would be disappointed in what has been made public so far if I was the investigating officer.

regards...Malcolm

Malcom I am sure he knows those shoes are hot already. I am trying to find some one who will rat the mthfcr out!

test

What size are you in men's shoes? :floor:

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Hmm.

I am saddened and shocked at what happened to Randy, and hope it does not happen to anyone else. I am heartened that our community here and the sheriffs are interested, and hope Randy gets his plants back. Looks like the theft was discovered early, and that always helps.

But.

I concur with the Mods, and add:

In the United States, all criminal suspects (even obvious ones) are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

I know this won't please some, but it's the way it is.

Good luck and keep us apprized of what happens. This has implications for all of us.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Multi thousand dollar thefts are encouraged by law enforcement!

What I am learning thru this being a victem of cycad theft is the law allows people to steal cycad with NO pentalties!!!

Since cycads have no serial # the law states we cannot posativaly ID our special to us plants.

There are many thing we can recover with discriptions that don't have serial #'s why exclued cycads?

Stealing cycads should Not be encouraged by law enforcement like it is NOW!!!

randy

test

Since cycads have no serial # the law states we cannot posativaly ID our special to us plants.

randy

Randy...you may like to remind the cop, who it appears has given you the fob off, that a comparison analysis of the soil in your yard with the soil in the root ball of the recovered cycad, together with the presence of freshly cut roots, could well establish your title in it. That soil analysis on the recovered plant could also determine plant pollens and fertilisers particular to your property.

I'm not up on plant DNA technology, and I would be interested to know from Patrick whether any comparison could be made with the recovered cycad and the severed roots still in the ground at your place.

regards...Malcolm

Good surveillance cameras are not cheap especially if you are looking at something that can be used as evidence in a courtroom. A alarm system that activates bright lights and makes noise is best. Just like roaches they won't stick around. Dogs are great. Multiple dogs are better. They don't have to be large man eaters either. Don't laugh but I have a small herd of toy poodles. You WILL be bit hard if you come in THEIR yard and they don't fight fair they attack intelligently as a pack. They graciously let me and my family in to do landscaping maintenance.

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

I tried to edit my post but it said I didn't have permission?

There are many forensic sciences that can be used however there is a cost factor involved and most agencies or district attornies office will not have the budget for it. It is not that they don't want they just can't. They shovel should have been fumed for latents. The wood would have absorbed oils and that would make traditional lifts hard to get. For a proscution to occur it is not entirely required to ID or even locate the plants HOWEVER it would be necessary to prove that a particular person was present at the crimescene and there are no explanations as to why he/she was there. You are fortunate to have Patrick offer his services and if at all possible try to take advantage of it. Once the DNA is acquired and entered into the database it may generate a hit not now but three years from now. Time is on your side. Sooner or later the suspect will slip up. I know it doesn't help now but you have to go through the steps.

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

Not sure if you are going by the shoe size to determine the person's height (you said 6') but one of my sons wears a size 12 (in some shoes) and he is only about 5'10".