IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I had 4 cycads stolen worth $5300.00

yachtingone

I have 3 dogs, they are the best security out there. They are always on patrol. I can't recommend them enough. Floodlights, camera's and pissed off dogs make me feel better. Man's best friend!

• Upvote 1

Braden de Jong

Randy

I am sorry to hear about your garden. It is very unfortunate that people would resort to such unforgivable behavior!!! It is so shady to know that someone actually planned this and waited while you were gone. All I can say is "Karma". I believe that person will get theirs ten fold and hope their conscience will eventually eat them up inside!!!

Tin

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

That someone who must know and love cycads would resort to stealing is quite upsetting. It would be easier to understand if they had taken the easiest ones to transport,etc. just having heard that cycads can be expensive. This person is a true sociopath and must not care about anyone else. Most plant lovers seem truly nice people who delight in other's beloved plants. Many of us give plants away for the joy it gives us. I went to 3 nurseries selling tropicals yesterday. After my purchase I gave the owners a little Theobroma cacao as a thank you just because I wanted to. I waited until after I'd paid because I didn't want them to think I expected a discount or free plant in return. This one horrible person must be very lonely sitting there with his or her stolen plants.

Cindy Adair

who must know and love cycads would resort to stealing

There's no love involved where thievery's concerned.

I think that some Cycad thieves stole some valuable plants from Fairchild Tropical Gardens when all the staff left beacause a hurricane was on the way. Pretty bold and risky on the part of the thieves. Somebody is offering some serious money to make that kind of action worthwhile.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

I'm sorry for you loss, Randy. Hope you'll get your babies back.

Gonzer is right: "There's no love involved where thievery's concerned".

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Total bummer Randy,

I have a feeling you've already narrowed this down because it sure seams like these three thing would tell you exactly who it was,

1. Who knew you were going out of town?

2. Who has been to your place that you showed your prized plants and knows cycads enough to be able to grab the right ones in the middle of the night?

3. You haven't had your inopinus long, who have you showed it to in it's current location in the greenhouse?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Three holes:angry:

post-1270-013531900 1301328145_thumb.jpg

Randy

Randy, after looking at these pictures and the knowledge this sissy had of your garden, something tells me you know who it is. What a shame.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Total bummer, but ag theft and even cattle rustling is fairly common. The over whelming number of people are honest, but the minute minority who are not cause a lot of grief

burt repine

It isn't just the stealing that is upsetting-although that would be enough to be upset about. Its that this person had to have known you Randy, and I assume that you must have trusted him enough to let him in your yard at some point and might have possibly considered him a friend of some sort-esp as you say that he has contacted you to "shed some tears" over your loss. That is verging on being somewhat sociopathic. Whats really creepy is that this person might possibly be reading all of this-and is wondering exactly what evidence he left behind that might lead to his arrest. I would think that fingerprints on the shovel handle would be one thing. Some kid put a bunch of holes in one of my greenhouses and actually climbed up on top of it, and it was the sneaker print that he left on the plastic that lead to his being caught by the cops. Sorry this happened to you-its always a real sense of violation.

Was this theft done in the frontyard, or were the plants taken from the backyard? Growing up in South Florida, I learned the day after Christmas that what you leave outside for the night, probably won't(definately won't) be there in the morning...

Three holes:angry:

post-1270-013531900 1301328145_thumb.jpg

Randy

Total bummer man! Why didn't he take the big one on the right? That one looks great! :drool: I don't know what it is but it looks awesome.

Randy,

Sorry to hear about this event. It took a really sorry piece of human flesh to do this! Hopefully you can find the culprit and have appropriate action taken and - more importantly - get your plants back!

Good luck!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Randy,

I am deeply soory this has happened. I cannot even imagine how I would feel if someone stole any of my plants. I hope you get enough evidence to apprehend this SLIMEBALL and you get your plants back.

Laura

So sorry to hear this and hope the responsible scumbag(s) face justice SOON.

To that end I would suggest getting the general public in your area informed & involved as well as us palm & cycad enthusiasts. Call your local newspaper with your story, have them write it up and publicize it. Better yet, contact a television reporter that broadcasts your story. Mention your reward $. Someone may see something or gets approached with a deal too good to be true, connects the dots and the rats are caught redhanded.

GOOD LUCK!

Randy,

Sorry to hear about your loss and may the thief become overridden with guilt and return what was never his.It is for this very reason that most Cycad collectors do not allow people to view their plants I included.

So Randy, you were in the chat room and said you knew something. This is breaking news. This could be the story of the year folks. For sure you will want to follow this subject. :rage:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I am so outraged by this and they are not even my plants. This person is the lowest of the low. If he is lucky he might escape prosecution and jail, but his reputation will not survive no matter what. This is too small of a community for people to get away with something like this. Let's make some noise and make sure this guy pays.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

It upsets me also, in the past year several people have generously showed me their yards and amazing plant collections and to even contemplate doing something like this is monsterous. This kind of behavior affects all of us as if it continues people will become hesitant to show others their plants and ruin the atmosphere that exists in this hobby.

I am very sorry about your plant loss, I know how mad it makes me when a plant dies on its own, I cant even imagine what you are going through with another person taking them.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Sorry to hear about the theft Randy. Hope you catch em! Stay optimistic, and above all, make sure you take some measures to prevent it from happening again (cameras, steel mesh, etc.).

Today has been a good day. The Riverside Sheriffs took swabs from all over the shovel to collect DNA.

Also they informed me they can check out his phones records. Everytime the phone is used its location at

that time is recorded by use of GPS.

BTW I want to thank everyone for there support. It was very comforting to know so many people think that fkr

that stole my plants is pure evil! It was said in many ways but the anger towards this coward comes thru clear with all your post!

I want my plants back soo bad that you scumbag will get off the hook clean if they are returned! I know you have stolen from at

least 4 others before me. I am sure you have sights on plants from the garden we all seen last saturday. You evil man will fall hard with out the return

of my plants. BTW I just got back from my shade house and noticed my Diooon sonorense 2" caudex cycad gone. You only steal the best stuff you 6'+ tall

muthu fr...I hope you slip into hell with those size 12 shoes!

Tomarro should be a wonderful day:rolleyes:

Randy

• Upvote 1

test

Randy, keep adding the stuff up and estimate it on the high side. The bigger the theft, the more the police will work with you and the easier it will be to prosecute this punk.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Randy:

Call the cops, and give them a police report, and all evidence you have.

If you have further questions, PM or phone me.

Sad as hell to hear about this! :rage:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Randy:

Call the cops, and give them a police report, and all evidence you have.

If you have further questions, PM or phone me.

Sad as hell to hear about this! :rage:

Looks like you already did!

Good on you, mate.

Kick butt . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

While it's certainly cathartic to vilify the perp, I hope you recover your plants. The only experience I ever had with something like this, a guy grabbed a 25-gallon Dypsis decipiens from a nursery that I'd paid for - he actually told the nursery owner he was going to deliver it to me. By her description, I immediately figured who it was. After 2 trips to South O.C. (he stood me up the 1st time), I was finally able to pick up the plant. The guy's father just laughed and said "Palm trees are like women - if you turn your back, someone'll swoop in and grab 'em." I should've involved law enforcement, but since the plant was for a client, I was in a hurry to resolve the whole episode. I know there are swindlers who'd sell you a seedling Kentiopsis as a mealy bug, but I've never met anyone else in the plant world who'd grab something paid for by somebody else. Anyway, it's clear this was an inside job - he knew what he was after. Your suspicion is well-placed.

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Today has been a good day. The Riverside Sheriffs took swabs from all over the shovel to collect DNA.

Also they informed me they can check out his phones records. Everytime the phone is used its location at

that time is recorded by use of GPS.

BTW I want to thank everyone for there support. It was very comforting to know so many people think that fkr

that stole my plants is pure evil! It was said in many ways but the anger towards this coward comes thru clear with all your post!

I want my plants back soo bad that you scumbag will get off the hook clean if they are returned! I know you have stolen from at

least 4 others before me. I am sure you have sights on plants from the garden we all seen last saturday. You evil man will fall hard with out the return

of my plants. BTW I just got back from my shade house and noticed my Diooon sonorense 2" caudex cycad gone. You only steal the best stuff you 6'+ tall

muthu fr...I hope you slip into hell with those size 12 shoes!

Tomarro should be a wonderful day:rolleyes:

Randy

The cops are using DNA!? I can't even get them to respond to grand theft when there is video surveilance! I don't have much use for cops(they have never helped in any of my situations). I am pleasantly surprised, though, to hear that some on the west coast are actually doing their job, instead of illegally parking and speeding recklessly(they probably still do that too!). Since this is such a unique theft, you stand a fairly decent chance of receiving a bit of justice--Good luck, and keep us posted, but not to the degree, this culprit maintains the upper hand!

The cops are not using DNA. They gathered DNA incase it can be used for a conviction. It amounts to rubbing a furface with a que tip swab and putting it in a baggy.

If the foot prints leed to an indentity and the DNA is needed for a conviction that's when it would get processed.

New info...

This guy uses the same "method of operation".

He has hit 3 houses before he hit mine. All 4 houses were hit in the early morning hours.

Always when it's raining (to cover noise he makes and who goes out in the rain).

He only targets very high value small cycads!

All four of us suspect the same person...amazing huh

If you have been hit like this and want to talk give me a call (951)733-5082

Randy

test

That sux !! :rage::( How do you know what time it happened?

It happened at 2:30am. The guy wears a size 12 shoe. that makes him 6" +. He knows my garden well.

He targeted only the very rare small plants. He new what he was going to take before the CRIME was commited.

He new I was going to stay in San Diego thru sunday. He knows I have no roomate or dogs or anything to protect my plants from theft.

The shovel he left behind was used in the roofing industry without a doubt. Hot moping and tear off work.

I know this guy well and I have very few people that have seen my garden.

Let's hang him high!

BTW this tough little guy has shead a tear or two over my loss

bump

test

Why DNA? Its expensive and takes a long time. Fingerprints would seem to make more sense, very quick and cheap and I believe that there are more fingerprints in criminal systems than DNA, so easier to match up. Also-isn't the GPS on the phone a long shot? Wouldn't he have had to have been using the phone while he was at your house? Who would he be calling at 2:30 am-while he is in the middle of digging up your plants? I don't talk on the phone while I am digging-too hard and I am not in the dark in a hurry in someone else's yard stealing plants....you ought to check in your kitchen and make sure he didn't take a break and make a sandwich. this guy seems pretty stupid to me. Leaving a shovel behind, picking such easy to identify plants.

If you think you know who it is Randy, you should harass him. Criminals won't call the cops.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

While it's certainly cathartic to vilify the perp, I hope you recover your plants. The only experience I ever had with something like this, a guy grabbed a 25-gallon Dypsis decipiens from a nursery that I'd paid for - he actually told the nursery owner he was going to deliver it to me. By her description, I immediately figured who it was. After 2 trips to South O.C. (he stood me up the 1st time), I was finally able to pick up the plant. The guy's father just laughed and said "Palm trees are like women - if you turn your back, someone'll swoop in and grab 'em." I should've involved law enforcement, but since the plant was for a client, I was in a hurry to resolve the whole episode. I know there are swindlers who'd sell you a seedling Kentiopsis as a mealy bug, but I've never met anyone else in the plant world who'd grab something paid for by somebody else. Anyway, it's clear this was an inside job - he knew what he was after. Your suspicion is well-placed.

Wow. Is this a Palm Society member or someone that post here? If this story is 100% accurate, you should tell us who it is. What's to stop someone like this from doing it to another person?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Unfortunately, we are a very litigious society...If you were going to "out" them here, I would make sure you choose your words very carefully so they cannot use it against you.

[url=http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fbrowse%2Flitigious&rct=j&q=litigious&ei=QxiSTZ-vE5OisQOB1vWcDg&usg=AFQjCNEE3WKa2wHZoneBYN7UEBdJQADL5Q&cad=rja]

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

If you think you know who it is Randy, you should harass him. Criminals won't call the cops.

What size is your shoe Matty?:floor:

Randy:winkie:

test

12, I mean 4.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I need every bodies help now!!! I need to have all tennis shoe experts to tsep up!

The pic are of the imprints of the shoe that scumbag used to rip me off.

I need an ID on this shoe with pics. There is a distict A logo by the toes.

This is the last piece of the puzzle!!!

post-1270-088669800 1301422845_thumb.jpg post-1270-047216800 1301422849_thumb.jpg

post-1270-092782800 1301422853_thumb.jpg post-1270-051128700 1301422858_thumb.jpg

Thankyou randy

CLICK ON PIC TO ENLARGE!!!!!!

test

I bought my forth dog yesterday morning after hearing this. His dad was over 100 pounds. Doberman! Awesome little fella :rolleyes:

Braden

post-811-001032300 1301423443_thumb.jpg

Braden de Jong

Nice pics Randy. Someone's pucker factor just went up...........

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin