IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I had 4 cycads stolen worth $5300.00

yachtingone

Mod Edit: I have made this exception before, and placed notice of rare and valuable stolen plants in this forum to assure adequate exposure. This is an extremely disheartening and serious occurrence with many ramifications. Unfortunately it is not that uncommon. And also unfortunately, it was probably someone who is passionate and knows about rare plants, very much like many of us here, just without any respect or morals. If not, it was someone who will be trying to sell them. But either way, this makes it possible that some of you may run across these plants, or a clue that could help Randy recover his plants - or at least help identify the culprit for the benefit of all. Randy, feel free to share any tips or evidence you think may help.

It was known thru this forum I would be going to the palm society meeting yesterday. Only a few people new I was to stay the night there.

I left the house Saturday at 9:30 AM and I got home today at 10:300 AM to find my premium plants stolen. 3 of them were dug out of the ground.

one was in a 15 gallon container. That one is the Encephalartos middleburgensis. It was dumped out of the container. Then they removed potting soil and put it back in the

container.

The police are on there way right now. The sole stealer left really nice evidense.

Stolen was:

4" E. middleburgensis with 2 pups

8" E. princepts

6" dwarf E. horridus with 2 pups

4" E. dyeranus with 2 pups

The value of the plants are $5300.00

If anyone heres of these plants for sale let me know.

Thank you Randy

• Upvote 1

test

I feel really bad for, I have also been a victim of cycad theft. Hopefully the thief will be caught and your plants returned.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I am offering a $2000.00 reward for any information that leeds to a conviction of the man that stole my cycads I like so much!

I wear a size 8 shoe and his tennis shoes are a 1/2" longer than mine.

It happened last night at 2:30 am. The plant can be positively id'd from pics and knowledge I have of them.

Let's put this man in jail before he strikes again.

If the plant somehow find there way home this subject will be closed.

No prosecution if returned.

Thank you

Randy

I miss my plants much:(

test

Sorry to here that Randy i feel your pain i had 2 taken from my front yard 4 years ago Hopefully u will get your plants back Good Luck! Sergio

• Upvote 1

That's terrible & even worse to think it could have been someone who posts on this very forum :bemused:

I really hope you get them back & that whoever responsible is caught...

As an aside it may be worth getting rare/expensive plants in your garden microchipped:

Tree Ferns Microchipped

• Upvote 1

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Randy, how awful. I hope the police catch this guy and return your plants in good shape.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Randy, I am very sorry to hear about this. Just the other night I got a call from my mom who told me that someone had taken a couple of my rare Rhaphis palms of their front door area. I know those are not as valuable as your cycads but it still maybe me sick to my stomach. I don't know what is wrong with some people! I hope you can find out who took your plants. The Cycad community is very small, so hopeful someone will hear something and turn them in.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Jeff Rood

Randy,

Dude that sucks. I hope the idiot who stole these plants from you trips and spikes himself on one of the sharp edges of the plant. Then I hope they get returned to you. Keep your eye out on craigslist, and other online sales venues, maybe you'll be able to recover them. So sorry bro, there's some shady stupid people out there, and if the moron who stole your plants is reading this all I have to say is, "YOU ARE A MORON AND DON'T DESERVE TO WALK AND BREATHE AMONGST THE REST OF US WHO GO TO WORK TO GET PLANTS YOU INSIPID LAZY KNUCKLEHEAD AND A WHOLE OTHER WORDS I WON'T SAY BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO GET IN TROUBLE WITH THE MODERATOR!" Sorry, I get a little fired up when it comes to graffitti punks and thieves.

hope you get your plants back randy,

-eric

• Upvote 2

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Randy - so sorry to hear about this. I'll keep my eyes on craigslist and let you know if I see anything.

• Upvote 1

We should all watch eBay too.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Randy,

So sorry to learn that unfortunate happening. You have my full support and, being that I'm in the other side of the continent there is very little I can do, but I'll keep my eyes open.

• Upvote 1

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I am so sorry to hear this Randy.

Judging by the plants that were taken the person knew what to look for and take.

I would think it would be someone that had been there before or saw a bunch of pictures of your place.

Most likely they will be in someone's garden within days or already.

I hope this jinxes the crap out of whoever did this !

Happy hunting,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

This kind of criminal activity is so disturbing. I'm really sorry to see this happen to you, Randy.

If you and the police and the palm and cycad community are relentless, maybe the criminal will be apprehended.

Let's all give it our best shot. (Oops. Poor choice of words for a non-gun person. Well, you know what I mean...)

Thanks to our moderator for putting this on the front page where it belongs.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

That sux !! :rage::( How do you know what time it happened?

It happened at 2:30am. The guy wears a size 12 shoe. that makes him 6" +. He knows my garden well.

He targeted only the very rare small plants. He new what he was going to take before the CRIME was commited.

He new I was going to stay in San Diego thru sunday. He knows I have no roomate or dogs or anything to protect my plants from theft.

The shovel he left behind was used in the roofing industry without a doubt. Hot moping and tear off work.

I know this guy well and I have very few people that have seen my garden.

Let's hang him high!

BTW this tough little guy has shead a tear or two over my loss

test

Randy, who has been to your garden that knows Cycads really well? How many have a size 12? It can't be many people. Jack Ingerson had very similar plants stolen the same way a few years back from his yard.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

That sux !! :rage::( How do you know what time it happened?

It happened at 2:30am. The guy wears a size 12 shoe. that makes him 6" +. He knows my garden well.

He targeted only the very rare small plants. He new what he was going to take before the CRIME was commited.

He new I was going to stay in San Diego thru sunday. He knows I have no roomate or dogs or anything to protect my plants from theft.

The shovel he left behind was used in the roofing industry without a doubt. Hot moping and tear off work.

I know this guy well and I have very few people that have seen my garden.

Let's hang him high!

BTW this tough little guy has shead a tear or two over my loss

If you know who this guy is you need to get him in jail immediately. Grand theft plain and simple. I assume you filled the police in with your details of this scumbag.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Randy, :( Sorry to hear that some one went to the lowest of low this Guy is

lower than a snakes belly, If by chance you do get the guy ask the Police

if you can have five mins in the cell and beat the crap out of him.

Good to hear you have Hollow points loaded, wot we use to do was put

mercury in and seal with wax it does so much more damage with great

stopping power, the mercury keeps going and will blow a leg or head

apart...Best of luck Dude...

Regards Mikey

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Epicure,

I wish it were so simple just to tell the police who did it arrest him and put him in jail for the crime.

Hard evidence is needed just to arrest someone. I don't have any. If hard evidense turns up he will be prosecuted

to the full extent of the law!

A bad note to add, My E. inopinus was also stolen but from my green house. value $450.00:angry:

I hope I don't notice more plants gone anymore...

Randy

test

That really sucks bad Randy. I can't see a reason that is forgiveable for a crime like this..hope they choke on them.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sorry to hear about your cycads being stolen Randy. That's absolutely terrible to hear that someone wouldn't think twice about taking something of high sentimental and material value of someone else. Although I have never had any of my plants stolen, I did have my nice pick up broken into and vandalized and it's a terrible feeling. I hope you get your plants back and due justice is served to the coward who did this

Don

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

There were a spate of these cycad thefts a few years back in Auckland that also coincided with the Palm and Cycad Society meeting nights.

Laying steel concrete mesh in the ground at the time of planting out some of the more valuable species is a good preventative measure and so is installing surveillance cameras (that are really cheap these days).

Randy, sorry for your loss and please remember that the low life who stole your plants will be reading your posts, so don't give out anything here that might assist him to avoid detection. I just hope the cop who is dealing with this is a plant lover.

regards...

Malcolm

Get a dog. It is more for deterrent than actually guarding. I always find that people with dogs are less likely to be broken into. Just a thought...

Regards, Ari :)

• Upvote 1

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

There were a spate of these cycad thefts a few years back in Auckland that also coincided with the Palm and Cycad Society meeting nights.

Laying steel concrete mesh in the ground at the time of planting out some of the more valuable species is a good preventative measure and so is installing surveillance cameras (that are really cheap these days).

Randy, sorry for your loss and please remember that the low life who stole your plants will be reading your posts, so don't give out anything here that might assist him to avoid detection. I just hope the cop who is dealing with this is a plant lover.

regards...

Malcolm

dont know about surveillance and recording systems been that cheap as i installed one after cycads walked and a 4camera night/day system and recorder was $900

Totally sickening to hear that news........especially when these thefts are done by persons who obviously have plant knowledge. As plant collectors we all have plants in our gardens that are valuable and many are easily accessible and it is quite often on my mind as to whether I will loose any.

As a matter of trivia, up to as recent as 12 years ago under the Queensland 'Criminal Code' it was impossible to be charged with stealing a plant no matter how much the plant was worth. The only charge that could be brought forth against the perpetrator would be to charge them with stealing the 10cent pot that the plant was contained in !!!......fortunately this absurd law has now been repealed.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I am very sorry for you!

a question : if any person of this forum find your plants stolen

and you say to that person that are your plants,

and he says no?

Have you test?

your word against his?

I'm sorry again

GIUSEPPE

I don't have much of a garden, yet. But after a trip to costco, and seeing some rather decent color camera systems, I installed some around my house. I have the camera's hidden, so as they are virtually undetectable, so I get eye level close ups of anyone passing through choke-points of my small property. They are not going to stop a crime, but are an aid. Anyways, it's this day and age, you gotta have something.

What a gutless little sissy to steal someone's plants. And if you are reading this you must be proud to be such a loser. One day you will try to steal again and run into an owner that is home that will put a bullet where it belongs.

My gun is loaded with hollow points LEN!

This just goes to show you that if you have anything nice, and want to display it, then people will come out from under the rocks to take it from you--2:30am sounds about right because these creatures are usually nocturnal(like rats and roaches). This person must be knowledgeable about cycads--did he/she pass up lesser valued plants for those? I wouldn't waste a bullet; Karma can be a heavy thing for such individuals...

Sorry about your cycads Randy,may they be returned safely and speedily and due justice served...Cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

I feel very sorry for your loss Randy...hopefully the police will grab this guy soon... :angry:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

This drives me crazy! So sorry for your loss. I hope the bum gets full extent of the law and at $5300. it's a felony! I second the motion for getting a dog, my Cocoa patrols all night and aside from being an incredible watchdog she's a loyal companion, helps me water, walks on the beach, uses the pool and warns me if I'm going to step on a snake!

The thief should be immediately banned from all future palm society meetings and expelled from Palmtalk.

Good Luck trying to get your plants back.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

when this kind of thing happens, it makes you hesitant to give garden tours. I wonder if a sign-in sheet would appropriate...as well as the microchips. Its a sorry state of affairs when people steal from our gardens.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Randy,

I too am sorry to hear about this. I must comment that it seems that whoever robbed you knew you and your place pretty well. To single out a little inopinus in the middle of the night takes some forethought. Hopefully with collected evidence and you're narrowing down the list, the robber will be found. Keep up your positive attitude.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads