Sign in to follow this  
cave

growing brachychiton rupesrtris from seed (australian bottle tree)

cave

I have planted 24 brachychiton rupestris (australian bottle tree) seeds in small containers in various types of soil and have kept them moist. The temperature has been in the 80's and the lows in the 50's. They have been planted for over a month and only one came up. None of the other seeds seem to be germinating. Anybody have any suggestions.

Cindy Adair

Of the Brachychiton discolor seeds I planted in August, only 2 of about 10 germinated and they waited months (I'd pretty much given up on them). Now they are growing fine. The only B. rupestris I have I bought as a seedling, so no experience with seeds of that species. So don't give up yet!

MattyB

Cave,

Save yourself some time and contact Bruce of CycadCenter here on the board. He's got large trees that are already half dug up. They transplant very very very very easily.

paulgila

how easily? i fell asleep after the 1st 17 "verys." :blink:

MattyB

basically treat the whole tree like one big cutting. Roots, ehhhh, who needs 'em?

Gtlevine

Cave,

Save yourself some time and contact Bruce of CycadCenter here on the board. He's got large trees that are already half dug up. They transplant very very very very easily.

Bruce said he was sold out, all to one buyer.

fastfeat

I have planted 24 brachychiton rupestris (australian bottle tree) seeds in small containers in various types of soil and have kept them moist. The temperature has been in the 80's and the lows in the 50's. They have been planted for over a month and only one came up. None of the other seeds seem to be germinating. Anybody have any suggestions.

Assuming that the seeds were viable, "Lows in the 50's (F)" is likely the issue. You'll get much better results if you can keep them at a constant 70F+ (preferably around 80F). Most seeds sprout more rapidly under consistently warmer conditions than mature specimens require. You may eventually get some of these seeds to sprout, but they'll likely be stretched over a longer period of time. If you can, move the containers somewhere warm indoors (top of 'fridge is good). (In the future, consider planting lots of seeds together in one community pot that can be more easily moved to somewhere suitable, then plant out the individual seedlings to their own pots. It'll save you space and materials.)

Good luck.

Cycadcenter

Hi folks,

As with most Australian seed it needs something to break it's dormancy, which is usually achieved with fire, smoke or water. The best way we have found is pouring boiling water over the seeds and letting soak overnight, then plant ito a light sandy mix. If planted into moist potting soil they tend to go off and not germinate.

And yes we have sold our brachychition trees, just have a couple held back for a couple of clients.

In fact we are loading the last trailer tomorrow for delivery to Santa Barbara.

P1010669.jpg

Trees dug and wrapped ready

P1010670.jpg

This double trunked tree probably weighs around two tons.

P1010671.jpg

Bruce

The Cycad Center

Fallbrook CA

cycadcenter@msn.com

MattyB

Awesome!

DoomsDave

EGAD!

GADZOOKS!