IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hawaiian Gardens

Ashton

I'll be on Oahu in August (first time on that island) and am looking for the names of some good palm gardens in the area.  Suggestions?

Ashton

Ashton,

The top three in my opinion (and not necessarily in this order):

1) Foster Botanical Garden in downtown Honolulu. A smaller, older, botanical garden (I believe around 10-11 acres), but with a number of very impressive, mature palms. Don't miss out on the humungous Hyphaene. You can stand underneath it, not even realizing that the canopy above you is actually a palm!

2) Lyon Arboretum all the way up in Manoa valley, about 5 miles inland from Waikiki Beach. A large, rainforest-like, botanical garden with an amazing number of very large palms. Not sure if they're open on weekends. Hopefully someone else will know.

3) Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden on the windward side of Oahu, a few miles inland from Kaneohe (and a 25 minute drive or so, assuming traffic is not a problem, from Waikiki/Honolulu). A public park, sort of long and skinny, with public road access, which is very convenient. You just park in different locations along the way, walk a short distance to your left or right in order to see the palms in those areas. Lots of mature palms, and lots of group plantings. Another amazing place, and very different from Lyon.

There are a few smaller parks/gardens as well, but these 3 are the ones I know best (and have been to within the last few years).

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Ashton,

I agree totally with Bo. I also have been to all three of these great gardens, and if you make it to all three, whew.....you've seen alot! Ho'omaluhia is very large,somewhere around 250-300 acres in total. You can spend the whole day there and not see it all.

I loved Lyon's Arb. It's a very tropical setting and can rain alot up there. Theres some really kool palms there  if you hunt for them.

And Foster's has some large specimans. I remember the big Pelagodoxa's(look for seed,I would never...uhmmm) and the double coconuts. Have fun.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.