IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

rooftop views

MattyB

Well, maybe not even close to Bo's.  Just some shots of the suburban jungle  here in San Diego.  How boring huh?

Looking North.  A sea of rooftops.  We ain't gots no yards mon!

post-126-1167945405_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

yep.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

South

post-126-1167945535_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

East

post-126-1167945557_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

West

post-126-1167945573_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Stickin' it to the man! :)  One thing our 10 inches of annual rainfall is good for.....clear skies and lots of great solar days.

post-126-1167945592_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt,

you are in desperate need of MORE PALMS!! :P  And I thought you were serious about this.... :D

At this rate our Moderator will have to set up a special sub-forum for rooftop views!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Matty!

Looks like you can just jump from roof to roof, like in one of those old "Supercop" movies.

Hmm.  Maybe a rooftop forum might not be too bad an idea . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I think we need to get a pool going for which Palmtalker biffs off his/her roof first...

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

haha, very funny all of you.  This is my parents house though.  Not too many palms are going in there but I'm working on it.  My house has a little bit more of a palmy view but not too much.  I'm saving my stash for another house.  :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Jan. 04 2007,15:10)

haha, very funny all of you.  This is my parents house though.  Not too many palms are going in there but I'm working on it.  My house has a little bit more of a palmy view but not too much.  I'm saving my stash for another house.  :D

Yeah, those views weren't jivin' in my thick skull...

From my top roof all my palms look teeny tiny.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 04 2007,21:32)

Well Bill.....there's this stuff we all use, it's called fertilizer. It's food for palm trees. You might want to try some, it will get your teeny tiny palms bigger in no time at all. :P

Sorry Bill, just kidding! :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 05 2007,05:23)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jan. 04 2007,21:32)

Well Bill.....there's this stuff we all use, it's called fertilizer. It's food for palm trees. You might want to try some, it will get your teeny tiny palms bigger in no time at all. :P

Sorry Bill, just kidding! :D

Jeff

HA-HA :P ....My top "flat roof" is about 25' over the ground, then the ground rolls down a bit too....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Matty  :)

Lovely pictures but take care while doing so.

And even i feel similar to Bo Goran's comments,

hey you are a palm lover & an esteemed IPS

member but you dad's house & even your

neighbours house does not have much palm

cover at all why ?

when palm freaks like us should woo our relatives,

friends,neighbours & area community members into

our Clang.

I hope you understand mine & Bo's views as lot of work

can be made in landscaping your neighbourhood_so think

about it.

I must say that members from Europe_such as maximus..

are giving away palm saplings to their relatives & friends

who visit his house.such is his dedication to spread palms

in his neighbour hood_mind you he does this for free !

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Nice photos for contrast Matt.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Now Matt, just calm down. We want to help you. Maybe you look in all directions and don't see a palmy future. But there are people that care for you. Your wife and your dog miss you. So please, slowly, step away from the edge...everything is going to be allright...

(Ashton @ Jan. 05 2007,11:06)

Now Matt, just calm down. We want to help you. Maybe you look in all directions and don't see a palmy future. But there are people that care for you. Your wife and your dog miss you. So please, slowly, step away from the edge...everything is going to be allright...

Just Fentastic_pal.  :D

I loved this Skit_Lovely & i laughed my lungs

out.and my stomuch is acheing.. :D  :D  :D

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(redant @ Jan. 05 2007,08:21)

Awesome solar panels.

For anyone who's interested, there are 48, 100W panels.  We have our business offices here in my Dad's house and w/ two offices, 4 computers, copiers, fax, and misc equipment, not to mention all the regular household energy consumed, the electric bill is about $200 a year.    The system produces about 20Kw a day on average.  The system cost about $30,000 but the state of CA gave us a $15,000 rebate.  It was all installed by my Dad.  It's been in service for about 6 years now.  A lot of new homes/businessess are being constructed w/ photovoltaic solar panels now.  It's really a smart move here in SoCal or Arizona where the sun is intense and cloud cover is minimal. :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

"It's really a smart move here in SoCal or Arizona where the sun is intense and cloud cover is minimal."

And wind storms are not as intense. I'd love to add some solar but in FL it's just not as feasible.

That CA rebate sure helps!

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A