IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hassles of Island Life

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

I noted the splendor of Bo's garden, and others on the Big Island of Hawai'i.  I saw, and I swooned, and swooned, again and again and again.

We all know the reasons to go there to live.

What are the cautions, i.e., what's the downside?  This can be anything, from the social, economic, weather (?!?!) political, legal, you tell us.

I'm used to LA/Orgy/SanDiego/IE, which, merged, more or less into one of the largest, if not the largest, urban areas on earth.  

And, how'd you get your significant others, if any, to go along?

Curious to know . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great idea... I'd like to know. I'm going out in the spring to start looking for property in/around Leilani.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Dave,

Hassles...what hassles?? :D

I recall a thread where I added a long post about the pros and cons about not just island life, but specifically about life here on the Hilo side of the Big Island. I'm sure it was in the Palapa so it may have been missed by quite a few. Would like to copy and paste that and add a few additional comments BUT I can't recall what thread it was in!! Any ideas, anyone??? It was fairly recent, maybe a couple of weeks ago, at the most.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I'm used to LA/Orgy/SanDiego/IE, which, merged, more or less into one of the largest, if not the largest, urban areas on earth

Dave,

FYI,  LA/San Diego Metro Area Population ranks 12 in the world with a population total of 12,943,547 (US Census 2005), behind New York City which is #4 in the world with a population of 19,747,320.. Tokyo is (by far) the most populated Metro Area at 35,197,000

• Upvote 1

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby, does that include Orange County...probably huh?  I wonder what our number is if the Inland Empire is included?  The whole east coast is very densly populated  though isn't it?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Like Bo said, hassles?...what hassles?

The guys on eBay wanna charge extra for shipping. Gotta remind

them that the USPS covers all 50 states with flat-rate package

service.

We have to shlep propane, its not piped in. Thankfully we're on

county water. Catchment water, or worse, having it trucked in, can

be difficult.

As on most islands, one needs to be versatile. I've got a day job, as

well as the palms...not to mention the onions, pineapples, mangos,

bananas, etc. etc. Then there's equipment maintenance, best to be

able to handle most of it yourself.  There are many businesses with

multiple revenue streams; like pizza joint, fruit stand, sandwich

shop, video rental and souvenirs all under one roof.

And yesterday, it seemed a bit cold down here in Ka'u, (below 80

deg. F and raining) so we went to Kailua-Kona for the day. It was

hot enough to need AC in the car up there, so, as always, we were

glad to get home.

I am also an escapee from the sub-urban LA/OC/SD corridor.

aloha,

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 04 2007,15:49)

I'm used to LA/Orgy/SanDiego/IE, which, merged, more or less into one of the largest, if not the largest, urban areas on earth

Dave,

FYI,  LA/San Diego Metro Area Population ranks 12 in the world with a population total of 12,943,547 (US Census 2005), behind New York City which is #4 in the world with a population of 19,747,320.. Tokyo is (by far) the most populated Metro Area at 35,197,000

Hmm.  Interesting about the population.  (Does that 12 mill include Riverside/SanBernardino and Ventura/Santa Barbara?)

Sorry!  I should have been clearer:  I meant size-wise, that is, extent of sprawl.  I know, for instance that Mexico City is enormous people-wise, but not as extensive as others.  NYC has a lot crammed into a smaller area.  Does that 19 mill for NYC include all of Long Island, and New Jersey?  Seems awful high if not.

Anyway, you can drive from the Mexican Border at TJ and go north along the coast to about Santa Barbara and it's more or less continuous city, if you take the I-5 freeway and the 101.  (A trip from a State Farm Insurance agent in Imperial Beach, right at the Mexican border to another agent in Santa Barbara came out on Mapquest at more than 230 miles.  Assuming a few miles here and there for detours, that's still a lot.

click here for results

Yeah, I know, Camp Pendleton's empty, but it won't be for long, from what I understand, it's been sold . . . .

That said, I'll bet there's places back east that come pretty close.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 04 2007,15:03)

What are the cautions, i.e., what's the downside?  This can be anything, from the social, economic, weather (?!?!) political, legal, you tell us.

And, how'd you get your significant others, if any, to go along?

We don't live on an island, but considering the distance to another major towns/cities, we might as well be... I guess if you love shopping, it is not as good as Brisbane/Melbourne/Sydney and Perth, but then most stuff you can get online. I am very good in buying everything online, including plants  :D  :D . Plus the airfares tend to be more expensive... although you can always get good special.

I was a city girl too.... grew up in Jakarta (9-12 million people or more), moved to Melbourne and Brisbane... and finally landed in Darwin. Loving it!! I couldn't imagine living in a big city, too much traffic   :angry: . As far as the significant others concerned.... I guess you have to share the same passions (in our case, plants and tropical fish), and you can take them everywhere....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I recall a thread where I added a long post about the pros and cons about not just island life, but specifically about life here on the Hilo side of the Big Island. I'm sure it was in the Palapa so it may have been missed by quite a few. Would like to copy and paste that and add a few additional comments BUT I can't recall what thread it was in!! Any ideas, anyone??? It was fairly recent, maybe a couple of weeks ago, at the most.

I think that might have been the thread called:

Tropical Home Design

aloha,

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 04 2007,13:35)

Yeah, I know, Camp Pendleton's empty, but it won't be for long, from what I understand, it's been sold . . . .

As a former Marine, I can tell you this is false. There is simply no way this will happen.  At least not in our lifetime.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Found it! After thinking about it for a few minutes I remembered it was in Gary Levine's 'Props to So Cal Growers" thread (not in Palapa!), which we successfully hi-jacked.... (and they say the short term memory is the first to go...Ha...!). This is just the comparison, so I didn't copy my whole post.

We have known a lot of people who have moved over here from the U.S. mainland. Many of them stay and love it here. Some simply cannot adjust and move back. Usually, but certainly not always, it's the wife who wants to move back (generally for family reasons).

Some of the important differences and issues, and I'm trying to be as objective as I can in the name of fairness (and the comparison is between the windward, i.e. Hilo, side of the Big Island and So Cal, but can certainly apply almost just as well to the Bay Area or S. Florida):

Culture, dining out, sports events: This isn't even close. If these things are important to you, FORGET about moving here. Cultural events certainly do exist here, but obviously not on the same level. Dining out is great here, but you have such a small number of restaurants to choose from that you tend to become a regular.l But that may be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint! Sports: I'm not interested in team sports but I do know that this is NOT the place!

Traffic: If you're used to gridlock and rush hour traffic in a major metropolitan area, Hilo and surroundings is like you've died and gone to heaven. And that's despite the fact that traffic is MUCH worse now than it was just 3-4 years ago.

Family: in the majority of cases moving here involves a separation from family, be it siblings, parents, grown children or whatever. For me this was not an issue since my only sibling, my sister, lives in Sweden (and our two grown children did not live close by anyway). I have found however, that when my sister and I do spend time together (at least once a year) we talk about a lot of issues that we would probably never get around to if we lived in the same community.

Jobs: unless you are in a unique position (self employed OR work for a company that can transfer you), OR you are retired, you will have a hard time finding a good paying job here. BUT, things are better now than they were just a few years ago because the Big Island's economy is booming.

Natural disasters: the Big Island can be, and has been, exposed to earthquakes and tsunamis and a couple of close calls with hurricanes (but no direct hit). The current volcanic eruption began in Jan 1983, almost 24 years ago, and the Puna and Hilo districts are all possible targets when Mauna Loa blows it top, or when Kilauea has an eruption in a different location than the present one. The village of Kapoho got completely wiped out by an eruption in 1960. How these future disasters compare with disasters on the mainland is anyone's guess!

"Rock fever" or "island fever" - obviously not an issue on the mainland, but a question I was asked quite a few times before moving here. I have never, ever, heard anyone on the Big Island complain about this. On a smaller island, like Kauai, I can certainly see it happening but the Big Island is large enough that this is not likely to happen.

Weather from a personal comfort point of view: having lived in S. Florida, S. California and now here, I can definitely say that on average, this is the most comfortable climate you can experience anywhere in the USA. We have no internal heat OR a/c in our house. How many other places do you know where that's possible? Humidity is rather high most of the time, but because of the (almost) constant tradewinds it's not as unbearable as S. Florida, plus even during a very hot summer afternoon here it'll typically only get up in the upper 80s. Open the windows and turn on the ceiling fan, and things are great!

Weather from a palm point of view: OK, now we're getting to the meat... If you're seriously into growing palms, what could possibly be better than to be in a place where Areca vestiaria, Pinanga caesia and Verschaffeltia splendida, to just name three, self germinate like crazy on the ground? Where growth rate is amazing, and where rainfall is so plentyful that no artificial irrigation is necessary. These are the things that "clinched" it for me. Seeing tropical palms open up new fronds in December and January was a beautiful experience in the beginning, but something that you (unfortunately) tend to take for granted after a few years!

And an additional comment in a secondary poost:

Forgot one thing...:

The community: if you live in a major city, or close to one, the smalltown atmosphere of Hilo is going to be a dramatically different experience. If you are reasonably outgoing, after just a few years you will not only know a lot of people here, but if you frequent the same stores etc. you will be greeted by name as you step up to the post office or bank counter, or the check-out counter at Safeway or any other store. Just going to the Saturday Farmers' market in Hilo you're likely to run into numerous people that you know, and sometimes you run into people who know you, even though you may not know them! Personally I find this very refreshing and it's VERY different from any place I have ever lived in before.

And I also just bumped Gary's 'Props etc.' thread for easy reference.

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dave,

I thought about your question for a while. It is not easy to answer.

I was unsure whether you meant the Big Island or Hawaii in general. If speaking of Hawaii in general, that would be as difficult as answering, "The hassles of California life." Because Tahoe is different than Eureka is different than Palm Springs, and San Francisco, East LA, Santa Barbara, etc.

Same for Hawaii in general. Honolulu and surrounding area is like any metro area. You've got leeward and windward sides of each island that would roughly corresppond to the differences between deserts and the coast in Cali. Interior sections are like the foothills. Maui is so different from Molika'i, from Kauai, and the Big Island itself is almost as diverse as California.

If speaking of the Big Island --- On the Kona side of the Big Island I am giving up little of the modern conveniences. I'm 10 mins away from an international airport, Home Depot, Costco, Lowes, Wal Mart, Macy's, K Mart, 3 supermarkets, multiple movie theaters, and some of the finest restaurants in some of the finest resorts in the world. Yet I am secluded in a natural forest that is like being in the Sierra in summer.

If you are business oriented, opportunities are plentiful. Last time I checked unemployment was the lowest of all the states. Granted, a lot are construction and service oriented jobs, but if you are a self motivator there is a lot happpening. Demographics favor professional jobs in the health sector (doctors and dentists in short supply), construction (engineers and architects), CPAs, and Dave, not sure about attorneys. My attorney is accessible, greeting me at the front counter in shorts and sandals. Suits are non existent. I have never seen one. I haven't had long pants on since I last got off the plane 4 months ago. Kona is very California. Hilo is more old Hawaii, laid back and slower paced. The south part of the Island is open beautiful rugged country. It would be more like homesteading. The middle of the island is ranch land like Ramona or inland Santa Barbara. And north island is old Hawaii again with many large ranches and awesome views of Maui and sunsets. The overriding difference to the mainland is its constant warm and mild weather and constant proximity to warm ocean water for diving, fishing, surfing, boating, etc.

But this thread is about the hassles, isn't it? There are only two that I can really think of.

One --- is if you want something that must be ordered, like a special tile or wood floor for your house, it will take 4-6 weeks and may come wrong or damaged, in which case it will take another 4-6 weeks. This is an inconvenience while building. If you are looking for a particular Hi-Def Plasma TV, or in my case a custom spiral staircase, you may have to settle for what's available or deal with the hassles of getting it. Ordering is risky, because if it comes damaged, sending it back is expensive. Could be $1000 to ship something bulky and heavy.

And two --- if you ever needed cutting edge medical treatment, you would have to be in Honolulu, and if it was serious enough, the mainland may be a better choice. Although as a Hawaii resident I hear the medical services are excellent from a financial point of view.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Regarding Dave's final question, which I only touched on above: about "significant others". This is obviously very personal and will be different from relationship to relationship. Generally speaking, it's probably crucial to agree that this is a good move. In my case (and I most definitely do NOT recommend this) I simply flew over here, rented a house in Leilani Estates, and then I spent a couple of weeks here, a couple of weeks back in SoCal, then a couple of weeks here, etc etc... Needless to say, this didn't go over too well with my wife, who initially had absolutely, positively no desire to move to the Big Island. BUT, we're still married... Pretty amazing! :;):

Ok Dave... Heres the 411. Of course there are going to be people who disagree.... but this is my experience.

Back in the early 80's my Step father was in the navy stationed in Hawaii.... So as a teen I was thrilled to get a once in a life time chance to live there. I was warned by by other Military kids that " Some of the locals don't like pale faces " ...Boy was that an understatement.

My last months at high school were a nightmare. Racial violance was common. Locals calling white people names all the time " Haole " or more the more familar  " Stupid Haole ". You learn never to look your tormentors in the eye... or a whole gang of locals would take the opportunity to beat you up.  Everyday was " Kill Haole day "

Which meant that the police, teachers and pretty everyone else looked the other way.... while racial violance occured

To be honest... It reminded me of the racial violence experienced by African Americans in the deep south.

I bailed out and moved back to California after I graduated from JC....

In college while in Hawaii, the hate was a little more subdued than in Highschool.... Still,  being spit on or called names by strangers... regularly while taking the bus the 10 miles to to college wasn't my idea of paradise.

With the price of homes in Hawaii, going for half of what they do in the SF BayArea or Southern CA... You would think there would be rush to Sell in CA and buy in Hawaii... But who wants to live where your money is loved... but the color of your skin hated!

Jeff

Take a look at this link... they even had to pass laws to try and control the hate.

Kill Haole day ban...law proposed

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I think I'm correct when saying, just about anywhere we live, there's going to be advantages and disadvantages to where you are. Personally for me, I think I live in a great climate because I never liked the cold weather and prefer it to be hot always. This is where I was born and raised. I have never lived anywhere else. But, then there are other reasons for keeping me here. One, I have all my family here, and thats extreamly important. Two, my business is here, just can't pick up and move it after 25 years. :) So my roots are very deep. I have seen lots of changes in South Florida, and most are not good. Lots of people moving in.

Now, as I get older and maybe sell of my property or pass the nursery down to our children, I think there's a good possibility of having another house somewhere else. Maybe in Hawaii because of the tropical climate, or maybe up in the mountains somewhere in Tennessee.It's just too early to say. And of course if I had a ton of money, I would be doing this already.

I know I could never live in the middle of a large city like New York or LA. Just can't.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff (in Modesto),

I'm sure everything you said above is 100% true, and unfortunately this kind of attitude and behavior still exists in Hawaii. The biggest problem is probably in the schools, and unfortunately, there are always going to be bullies, and those being bullied. Here in Hawaii a lot of the bullying has racial undertones, and if you're white, YOU are the minority.

Fortunately, in the rest of the community, you're not going to see, or be a victim, of this kind of infantile behavior, even though as I mentioned above there may be certain types of discrimation in the workplace that you may not appreciate. Being self employed, I don't have this problem, and in my more than 11 years here, I have never, ever, felt singled out or discriminated against because I'm not a "local". If you're willing and ready to engage in small talk ("talk story") and if you have a friendly approach to other people, chances are you will meet a lot of friendly people here. Locals as well as mainlanders!

Bo-Göran

I have been doing a bit of research on moving to Hawaii. My wife and I have the same concerns for our children IE safety and education. All the rest seems to be true of anywhere you live stay out of the bad areas.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Tikitiki,

The solution is a private school, where this kind of behavior would not be tolerated.

Bo-Göran

Bo, I was reading a little while on the Hawaiian Acres association page, and there was an article about the pot they grow there; how good it is, how the destructive overhear spraying from law enforcement was such a bad thing, etc.. It kind of surprised me. Can you comment on that issue?

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Dave,

I'm not aware of any actual spraying taking place. I know that happened in the past, not so sure they still do that. They've never done it here in Leilani Estates (well, at least not in my 11 years here). What they do, and this is pretty fascinating when you watch the actual operation close up: they have a little 2 seat Hughes helicopter, there's a long wire (40-50 ft or so) hanging below the helicopter, and a little platform attached at the bottom of the wire. There's a guy standing on this little platform as the helicopter buzzes over the canopy just above tree top level. When they arrive at a location where they know that pot is being grown, the helicopter initially hovers, then gets low enough, so that the pilot can actually let the other guy (on the platform) step off, and onto solid ground. Then the helicopter disappears, comes back after 10 minutes or so, and picks up the guy on the ground who's had time to collect all the pot plants in that location, and then OFF THEY GO!

Because of the forest right next to us (which we are now actually leasing from Kamehameha Schools), this federally funded helicopter comes around every now and then, and checks the area. I have been at the back of our property when the helicopter was hovering at tree top level, and he was so close that the pilot waved to me. Maybe 100-125 ft away or so, and just above tree top level, 50-60 ft. (He was over Kamehameha land, but right behind our neighbor, so we have our suspicions....)

The next day, you'll read a little snippet in the newspaper that on their operation they covered such and such an area (naming the various sub-divisions) and collected a total of 12,145 plants (for instance).

Since Hawaiian Acres is a very large sub-division, and much more rural in its character than most of the other sub-divisions, pot growing has certainly been a more common activity there.

Bo-Göran

BTW, just read in the local newspaper today, that the median price for a one family house on Oa'hu in 2006 was $630,000. Didn't give any info for the Big Island. The median price here on the Hilo side is obviously WAY below Oa'hu!

The following is some hearsay on the subject of schools. We have

no children, so I conveniently ignored that topic earlier.

From acquaintances with school age children, the reputation of the

schools here in Ka'u is decidedly poor. Friends on staff at the local

elementary school have also voiced that opinion, putting some of

the blame on the 'no child left behind' program, though I suspect

any problems may run deeper than that. I've not heard any reports

on the schools in Kona or Hilo.

Our friends who can afford it send their kids to private schools, but

there seems to be limited seats available, especially at the high

school level. One friend commutes from Waimea to his store in Ka'u

(about a 3 hour drive) because the only good private HS for his

(overachieving) kids is there. Boarding school on one of the other

islands is an option for some, while others who can't afford that opt

for home schooling.

aloha,

This is an interesting topic.I have lived in Guatemala for almost twenty years now.Guatemala has many climates depending mostly on altitude.The Atlantic side is very tropical with year round rain and my side has about four months of no rain(not a drop) and about four months of rains.We can get five or six inches daily.These extremes make it difficult to find palm species that can survive such extremes.I also have to contend with LY and iguanas that eat everything.They particularly love my waterlilies and vanda orchid flowers.

Guatemala has had a turbulant past and I survived a civil war and two major floods ,Hurricane Mitch and Stan.We currently have major crime to deal with mainly in the capital.I live on a finca (plantation) behind high walls.barbed wire and armed guards on foot ,motorcycle and foot.I wish this was not needed.Guatemala is the most beautiful country I have ever seen and despite these challenges do not regret a minute of my life here.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Dave,

dont forget baja california this is all part of one big area - for most americans they dont think about any thing south of san diego the american way of thinking ends in the border, for many americans there ends the world.

the area populated starts by santa barbara california and go south for 300 miles, if you go south from san diego theres tijuana (2 million), rosarito (150,000), ensenada (600,000), tecate (130,000). this is from instituto nacional de estadística geografía e informática (INEGI).

so add 3 millions more to southern california population.

most people dont know tijuana is twice as big as san diego - and baja californias growing @ 4-5% a year.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

The old rule of thumb was that Southern California had slightly more people than Florida.  We seem to be moving ahead.  

The Florida Legislature's 2005 figures for county population include:

Miami-Dade  2,422,000

Broward  1,740,000  (where Jeff Searle is)

Palm Beach 1,265,000

for a total of some 5,427 in the 3-county metro area, which is sending tentacles northward.  Martin County has strict growth regulations, so it's kind of leapfrogging up the highway to Port St Lucie in St Lucie County.  

Much of this urban area makes Los Angeles, at least, look compact and high-density by comparison.  West Palm Beach just built a sort of pseudo downtown from scratch.  

We are losing the small-town feel in Vero Beach.   Not to mention this is the last year for the Dodgers.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Hi, everyone!  I'm back after a long absence (for those of you who even knew me from my brief life here on the message board a year or so ago).  

Well, i can't resist commenting on this thread since i've lived on Oahu for 7 years after ditching San Diego.  Honolulu has plenty culture and nightlife, and you can easily live just over the mountain and drive there when you need some of that.  I highly recommend windward Oahu to live.  It's stunningly beautiful, friendly, easygoing, and you still have access to Honolulu when you need it.  I live in Hau'ula (1 hour up the windward coast), and the commute to Honolulu takes you past some of the best scenery in the islands (pure lushness).  Come move out here and be an ally in my fight against the pruning of coconut palms and to help promote more variety of palm species in the residential landscape!

Why not live in the tropics?

For those who may have missed my other post, Eric just became our 700th member.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Hi Eric,

Welcome (back) to the IPS Forum! It's great to see more and more members here in Hawai'i!

Aloha (from a very wet evening in Leilani!),

Bo-Göran

I am honored to be the 700th member (a nice round number, and a lucky one at that), although i suppose i already was a member before but just that i got automatically deleted because i didn't post anything for a while.  Sad to hear the news about Bob Riffle.  Ironically, i was going to email him a copy of my recently-completed paper on the effects of pruning on the health of palms.  I'd like to make the paper available for anyone here on PalmTalk to read too, but it's hard to post a 10-page paper here.  How should i go about that?

Why not live in the tropics?

Well, just to chime in from the Caribbean.  I was born here in Trinidad, moved to Washington, DC area for University.  Lived there for a few years before moving to West Palm Beach, Florida.  I have been back in Trinidad for about 8 years and it was a real culture shock.  The first 6-12 months I thought that it was the worse decision I made.  The main problems here are Crime! poor service, high prices of land, social inequality.  You can't find a decent palm nursery and if you need something urgently, that may mean a wait of a few days to purchase online and have it shipped.   But for those who can afford it (I'm not in that number) the lifestyle here can rival anywhere.  Trinidad is actually part of twin island nation.  I prefer the more laidback lifestyle of Tobago, better beaches included and one of the worlds oldest rainforest reserves.  We have some of the best festivals, (I will do a Carnival album on photobucket over the weekend and post in the Palapa) infectious music, beautiful people and a lot of diversity.  

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Robert-

My best friend is from Trinidad (and now lives in Pemborke Pines, west of Ft. Lauderdale) and he has echoed the same things to me about Trinidad/Tobago as you have in your post above.  I have always wanted to visit (he goes back once or twice a year to visit family), but have never yet made it.......maybe someday.

Man do I now have a hankering for some Doubles and a few Aloo pies :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Some more real estate info in the local paper this morning:

54 one family homes sold in the district of Puna (south of Hilo) in Dec 2006 at a median price of $261,000.

Sales from Hilo north to Ninole: $350,000.

Open lot sales in Puna; 64 sold in Dec 2006 at a median price of $45,000. It doesn't give the acreage but it would probably be safe to assume that most were 1 acre lots. Lots in Hawaiian Acres are typically 3 acres, and a 3 acre lot there sells for about the same amount that a 1 acre lot in Leilani Estates or Hawaiian Paradise Park would sell for.

Ok, with the Haole thing. How prevalent is it in Colleges or does anyone know?  Since I am considering (strongly) now transferring to a UH school to finish my degree, I was wondering if it wold be bad to be as pale as I am. I had no idea this was a problem and so far, thats the only negative I can see.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Bo,

What are the dimensions of the lots in Hawaiian Acres?

It seems like in Leilani, two of the 100 x 435 lots side by side would be a nice space for a house and palm garden.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Hi,

My family has a place in Waikiki and we have Hawai'i connections going back to the 1930s or so.

My cousin went to college in O'ahu in the 1990s and did not have any problem. I am sure part of it is that she is female and she is one of the more gentle people in the world. Other family have not had any problems at  the U of H in O'ahu. We're white, white, white-Swedish/German/Norwegian mutts AKA the Best of the Baltic.

My own experience:

Five or so years ago, I rented a road bike and cycled from Waikiki to the North Shore. It's about 40 to 50 miles each way. I cycled alone, through Pearl City(!), through the pineapple fields and out to the windsurfer beach. I stopped for food and a local at a fish market and I started chatting. I am a blond, pretty outspoken white guy. When he found out that I had ridden across O'ahu on my bike, I was his new best friend. Dried local fish(mmm-smoked ahi)was passed my way, we started talking-all was well. Being on a bike, stopping and hanging out and  asking questions made all the difference.

I've never had a problem in Hawai'i. Los Angeles-lots. At UCLA, at work, out and about. Hawai'i has been easy for me.

My 2 cents.

Mahalo,

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

I want to add just a comment or two to what Bo has entered here.  Living here for twenty years just a few miles from Bo I can also say that not once have I ever been treated badly by a local person.  It is the opposite.  I have never been around a population, in my neighborhood, in university and adult evening classes, in business dealings, etc., in which people are so caring, willing to look out for and truly care for others, and always willing to give a helping hand!  If you are the type of person who is kind, outgoing, and genuinely interested in others' welfare you will very quickly be considered as a "local".  People are the most polite in driving I have ever encountered anywhere!  

I find the only drawbacks are  distance from family on the mainland, and that some businesses make shipping to Hawai'i a bit difficult.  But with the arrival of big stores like Home Depot and others I seldom find that I need anything I can't obtain here.  All the good things mentioned by Bo I heartily "ditto"!  The Hilo area certainly must have the unbeatable gardening climate -- perfect for both plants and personal comfort.

As for cultural opportunities, we have three local theater companies, all the events associated with large universities, and the area is quite an artist's colony.  I spent 25 years living within 20 miles of San Francisco, and am involved in much more cultural entertainment here, partly because we can still see world renowned musicians, dance troupes, musical shows, etc. for $20 or less, and there is no driving or parking hassle involved.

Zac,

As David points out, assuming you're halfway friendly (or more!) you're not going to have any problems. There's a big difference between public schools and the universities. Maybe because most of the bullies in public schools never go to universities, and also maybe because those who do hopefully have grown up by then...

And David D.,

yes, the "typical" Leilani lot is 100 x 436 ft, which is not very wide if you have neighbors on both sides. The setback is 20 ft, so you can't build anything within 20 ft of the property line. With two lots side by side, you're going to get much more privacy, and also have more freedom how to position your house. Initially we bought 3 side by side acres, so that was 300 x 436 ft. That gave us a lot of freedom in how to position the house on the property. (After we moved in we were fortunate to be able to buy two additional acres, next to our 3 initial ones).

The typical Hawaiian Acres 3 acre property is 150 x 872 ft. (We own 2 of those there, 300 x 872 ft).

Bo-Göran

Zac,

One other thing about going to UH Manoa (or UH Hilo): there are a LOT of students from other places; U.S. mainland, the Far East and Europe, and all these people are obviously clueless to the "Haole thing" here in Hawaii, so that also helps in creating a more neutral environment than the one that typically exists in the public schools here.

Bo-Göran

Bo- Thanks. You put my mind at ease. So basically, its the same as any other university, with lots of different people converging into one spot. Cool, it keeps sounding better and better. And I am not unfriendly, more shy than anything, but can get very talkative about plants, as you can see from the board. LOL

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Zac, if Hawaii is a place you'd may want to reside permanently, I'd highly encourage you to go there to college.  You'll find life puts many more obstacles to moving once you're finished with school, not impossible in most instances, but much much more difficult.  Wish I had known about Hawaii then!  At that time I had no idea how much more I'd prefer the tropics or subtropics.  You'll gain contacts early, you can do internships with the Division of Forestry or other botanical projects, and to have access to a "College of Tropical Agriculture..." -- so cool!  With all the attention on alien species infestation over there, so many projects to get involved with, go!

(and ps -- to get over shyness, learn to simply ask questions about other people and what they do / where they're from, etc -- people love to talk about themselves and you only need think of questions for what to say -- works with the girls too!)

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a