IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some winterprotection...

Exotic Life

Hi,

Here some photo's of some winter protection here in the garden.

The first picture is from my Butia capitata, i keep him dry from the rain. Because that's here in this part of the netherlands a palm killer! Also i have use a light rope for X-mas. I can turn this one when it can be cold, but here it's warmer then he can have so it's don't Necessary, but it's fun ... :D

In the dark it look's like the butia is on fire :D

post-171-1167935334_thumb.jpg

Southwest

It's very mild now, so the rope is off ... when we get colder night's this winter (i think we must have some cold night's... it's winter ... if we don't get cold nights ... then i plant coconuts :D)

post-171-1167935421_thumb.jpg

Southwest

When it's can cold or a lot of rain i can closed the protection and keep the palm dry ...

post-171-1167935580_thumb.jpg

Southwest

Tomorrow i will take more picture's ... i have also a protection for the Washingtonia to keep him dry and also for the Phoenix ... But i don't have taken the pictures yet ... so tomorrow i go outside with the camera :)

Robbin

Southwest

Robbin, It's great to see palms growing in your climate! :)

Nice job on wrapping them up. How are you on snow in your area? Do you get alot?

Great job! Thanks for sharing the photos :)

Scott

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Great views. Now its my turn to ask in one of your threads, did you recieve my PM? Just wondering. With how it has been in the past and all that. Love the pic with the ?church? in the back ground. Very neat architecture.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

I quickly looked at the first picture without reading the text and actually thought it had caught fire!  What are your typical temps during the winter?

South Florida

(Scott @ Jan. 04 2007,13:47)

Robbin, It's great to see palms growing in your climate! :)

Nice job on wrapping them up. How are you on snow in your area? Do you get alot?

Great job! Thanks for sharing the photos :)

Scott

Hi,

Thanx, about the snow... this can be very diffrent. I live in the mildest part of the country ... so when it's snowing in the east i can be raining here because it's to warm.

Last winter i don't have got snow, only a couple times everthing was white but after 10-15 minutes everthing was melted because the tempeture was to high.

This winter so far, i have only one frostnight and not a full one only a couple hours, it was at that night -0,3C/31,4F so this winter i don't have snow yet ...

Robbin

Southwest

(Zac in NC @ Jan. 04 2007,13:56)

Great views. Now its my turn to ask in one of your threads, did you recieve my PM? Just wondering. With how it has been in the past and all that. Love the pic with the ?church? in the back ground. Very neat architecture.

Zac

Hi,

Thanks, yes i read your PM, but don't i have reply yet ?

And yes, it's a church that you see, a very big one! One of the biggest here ... It's a nice building, but he have one bad thing! And that is, when the wind is blowing outside, and we got a stormy weather. The wind is going to turn around the church ... so here in the garden the plants are going to turn also. Because of that sometimes the plant's can be damaged more then a normal wind ... Do you know what i mean ?

Robbin

Southwest

(Mike4284m @ Jan. 04 2007,14:23)

I quickly looked at the first picture without reading the text and actually thought it had caught fire!  What are your typical temps during the winter?

Hi,

Or climate is very weird, so i can be today 10C/50F and 2 day's later it can be 2C/35,6F ... Normally we do have some frost night's ... and get some snow but have also a lot of day's it's "warm".

Every winter i have a couple night's the tempeture going to between -4C/-6C = 24F-21F but the most frosty night's are between the 32F and 26F.

I hold the records the last 2 winters, in the winter 2004/2005 i have got 22 night's i have frost. The lowest tempeture was -6C/21F. Last winter 2005/2006 was a bad one, a long cold winter. I recorded that winter 39 nights with frost, but the lowest tempeture was -6C/21F. So i still live in a Zone 9a area ... A lot better then the east where the recorded last winter tempetures between the -15C/-20C = 5F/-4F and the have got a lot of snow !!

This winter is also a weird one, to mild !! But i don't care :D Maybe you think why al that protect for palms that can have more the the tempeture's that i got ? The winters here can be very wet, it can be here raining very hard and then in the night frost, that's a palm killer !! Also a long time of raining can be also kill te palms here ...

Robbin

Southwest