IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Costa Rica

Bilbo

I know its early days yet but judging from the enjoyment we all experienced from that fantastic event and the excitement that many non atendees picked up on from the pics I reckon there exists the real danger that the CR could be oversubscribed; remember that sheer logistics must require minimum AND maximum numbers.

Plan early, dont file it but pin a reminder on your office, study or bedroom wall.

Time comes round soon enough.

Regardez

Jon

Juan

Jon,

I think with the DR trip still fresh in everyone's mind, I think there would'nt be too much trouble filling up the 200 person capacity. Alot of people have been there or has a friend that has made a visit there. I have been there 5 times over the years and I look forward to going back.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

No more honeymoons (I think) so this next Biennial will not be missed.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Matt,

the flying nun Ive heard of but the flying aunty (and with legs like that!) cmon is it your girlfriend or daughter?

Jeff I wish I too could get over that way frequently but from over here we have to cross the pond first and that does cost. . .

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Apologies if Im repeating - usual glitch.

Anyway predominant colours of the Carribean are Yellow and Blue (sand and water).

The DR is different and I would say the predominant colour is surely Green.

I appreciate that tourism is vital for the economy but I just hope that it doesnt go totally unchecked and I pray that future generations can also appreciate that paradise.

Palms galore including natural palm forest sweeping to the sea, orchids growing epiphytically on palms and even by the roadside!

Some of our guys are expert on Crotons but those tropical specimens defied description and were HUGE!

Regardez

(dreamin on)

Juan

Juan

It would be great to go on this one considering my last trip to C.R. lasted two days due to my pain-in-the-butt medical condition.

For those who have been there, I was just about to depart Puerto Jimenez for the hike from Carate to Sirena to Los Patos in Corcovado National Park when I had to come back home. Plenty of cool palms to see along that hike.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

I seriously looked into making this trip but the air fairs alone from OZ for my wife and I are at the AU$12000.00 mark and some thing we really can't afford :(

Jason.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

I'd love to attend, but if I make a move to Hawaii, I know I will not be able to attend. The cost of the flights out there and being a student wouldn't make it feasable. Plus, if people were in Hawaii from on here, it could be possible to meet them there. I still want to attend a biennial eventually though.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

I hope to go.  Now that we have Copa Airlines daily from Manaus to Panama for 350 USD you can get to San Jose with no problem.  It has been many years since I have been to Costa Rica, 21 in fact, so I am sure things have changed a bit.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Heaven on Earth, that's what CR is. For those interested, some photos of my recent 10 day trip to the Quepos/Manuel Antonio/Dominical areas of CR over this past Thanksgiving holiday.

A nice little Lipstick Palm

CostaRicaandChristmas091.jpg

Some beautiful Triangles

CostaRicaandChristmas102.jpg

A gorgeous Traveler

CostaRicaandChristmas106.jpg

The native African Oil Palm

CostaRicaandChristmas116.jpg

More Oil Palms

CostaRicaandChristmas118.jpg

Coconuts on the beach in Domincal

CostaRicaandChristmas082.jpg

A nice little Royal

CostaRicaandChristmas109.jpg

When Oil Palms get too tall to easily harvest the fruit, they inject them with a chemical to kill them. Then the bulldozers come in, and they're replaced with smaller trees.

CostaRicaandChristmas184.jpg

And another ...

CostaRicaandChristmas185.jpg

Fruit on a smaller tree that isn't quite ripe yet

CostaRicaandChristmas131.jpg

And finally, palms aren't the only worthwhile thing to see while in Costa Rica! :)

CostaRicaandChristmas040.jpg

For all the pictures from our trip, visit ... http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o80/jay5972/?start=0

PalmBoy

Hai PalmBoy  :)

beautiful stills of triangle palm,travellers palm

& lovely sheshore stills too.

Thanks,

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

All I can say is, start saving a little money each week. It's still a long way off. For us here in South Florida, it will be a cheap flight down, and I understand it's alot more from where some of you others are flying out of. But, when it was in Thailand or Hawaii, it cost alot for us too. It all balances out. It should be a very nice biennial, I have been there 5 times and still probably only saw 5% of the country maybe.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Costa Ricans must wonder whether their country's being being annexed by Florida.  I think plenty of Texans, too--my sense is that Continental Airlines and others do a terrific job of getting people from Houston to points south.  

Here again is the link to La Selva biolgical station's digital flora--nice intro to this lowland forest's substantial flora.  All sorts of nice things.

http://sloth.ots.ac.cr/local/florula2/index.htm

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dave, this is for you!

You never stop providing excellent information on this forum. Thanks!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Great photos JP.  Thanks for sharing.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B