IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Clarification of Areca form needed

plantchaser

Hello.

The following plant was sold to me as an Areca catechu dwarf but after further reading, I have my doubts. I've come across the term semi-dwarf, as well. I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me some more on the differences between forms.

The plant I have looks like this. Thanks in advance.

post-5607-091827500 1299626135_thumb.jpg

post-5607-076956200 1299626149_thumb.jpg

post-5607-080794900 1299626160_thumb.jpg

Apparently, seeds that come from a dwarf areca catechu palm don't all turn out the same.

As a loose term used on this forum a "true dwarf" is one that shows all the stunted features such as the absence of a petiole, a really fat and squat looking trunk, the leaves that are all bunched together with a lot of leaflets that don't even seperate. I've also observed that the end lof the leaf on mine is "squared off"-- meaning it doesn't taper to a point.

A "semi dwarf' is an A. Catechu that exhibits some charachteristics of the true dwarf. It might have no petioles but still grows tall. Some have fatter trunks but just not fat or chunky enough that you would regard it as a dwarf. It's hard to describe in words but when you see it you will know it. If you have a dwarf areca catechu that you say to yourself "kind of" looks like a dwarf then it is probably just a semi dwarf. A true dwarf is unmistakable when you see it.

Now the question is -- when you are buying a seedling how do you know if it is a true dwarf of not? It's almost impossible to tell and I guess there will always be a risk involved . Some say look for very short or an actual absence of a petiole. Me personally, after observing my true dwarf develop I would look for the combination of features I listed above and in particular the "squared off" leaf. When I was selectingfrom many seedlings that was the feature that made me decide to get my plant from the batch of dwarf arecas being sold.

Just to give you some reference I was only positive that my palm was a true dwarf when it was about 2.5 feet tall. by that time the petioled had truly disappeared and the leaves in the crown were really really crowded and scrunched in tight in the middle. It didn't have a trunk at this point.

I guess the safest bet is to buy a plant when it is about 2 feet tall already and displaying all the features of a "true dwarf". Buying something small and just hoping it turns out to be a "true dwarf" might not be worth the time you invest in it -- plus you avoid the disappointement years later when you discover that you did not get what you thought you bought.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I have both a dwarf and semi-dwarf and concur with everything Gene said. I was lucky enough to go the nursery and pick out my own dwarf from about a dozen palms. What I looked for was petioles 1" or less long, a wide, short crownshaft and stubbiest leaves. And now I know thanks to Gene to also look for blunt fronds.

My semi-dwarf is much taller than my dwarf but still shorter and squatter than normal. I'm posting a photo of each in my shade garden where they are only a few feet apart. Even though I protected them with double flannel on nights below 40F these guys took a battering from the cold. But they survived. Fortunately they grow fairly fast and should look good again by summer. Arecas are so cold-sensitive.

Areca catechu dwarf - 11/10

post-1349-046072200 1299695554_thumb.jpg

Areca catechu semi-dwarf - 11/10

post-1349-090441100 1299695595_thumb.jpg

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hello.

The following plant was sold to me as an Areca catechu dwarf but after further reading, I have my doubts. I've come across the term semi-dwarf, as well. I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me some more on the differences between forms.

The plant I have looks like this. Thanks in advance.

Very nice and healthy palm...Nice Job!

Here are some photos to illustrate the features to look for

Looki down into the crown it looks really tight and crowded

post-1017-029953700 1299727153_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

The end of the leaf is "squared off" or maybe a better description is tha it does not taper as sharply.

I kind of observed this from my seedling when it was pretty young-- maybe jus ta foot tall and had just a few leaves

post-1017-019769100 1299727247_thumb.jpg

The top edge was roughly a straight line

post-1017-078806600 1299727443_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Quite a number of the leaflets don't seperate. Many in pairs and sometimes three leaflets don't split up

post-1017-032911100 1299727533_thumb.jpg

The leaflet on the left is a single and the one right beside it is a double

post-1017-068045900 1299727550_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

lots of times this wrinkling occurs on the leaflets at the end of the leaf. Probably because the spear is compressed as it squeezes out of the very tight crown

post-1017-097450400 1299727704_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

No Petioles. Leaflets start at the crown shaft.

post-1017-011920200 1299727859_thumb.jpg

When I bought my seedling its started out with petioles but they did look shorter than normal to me. As the plant grew from a 1 footer to a 2 footer the petioles gradually shortened

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Thanks- I kind of got obsessed with identifying a "true dwarf" after several purchases that turned out to be "semi-dwarfs". It really pissed me off to realize that my seedlings weren't going to get any stubbier as they grow up after a couple of years of waiting.

Here's what the nodes between leaves look like on a regular catechu

post-1017-031463700 1299755622_thumb.jpg

And here it is on a dwarf

post-1017-079502500 1299755499_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Bill- it took several attempts to finally get one ( and a few months of waiting to be sure), Planted it in a prominent spot in the garden. I'd love to get a group of these. I wonder how long before these set seed

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Thanks for the excellent tutorial! :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I agree it isn't quite normal. I had wanted a dwarf but when I started having doubts I just thought it best to get a more accurate ID.

I think it still looks nice in its own way.