IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current water temperature?

bubba

The current ocean temperature recorded at the Palm Beach Inlet is 78 degrees F. How does this January water temperature compare to other areas growing tropicals?

What you look for is what is looking

I don't think anyone in any of the other palm-growing states (TX,CA, or AZ) has a water temp even close to that in the winter... That's the  Caribbean influence... Our water temps here in New York are running about 50f right now (which is 15f above normal for this time of year).  I think the CA coastline is probably about the same or maybe a little warmer in the mid 50's

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Hi Keith,

The Gulf temps at Clearwater Beach are right around 70F this morning.  The Bay was at 71F yesterday afternoon.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Hi,

The last time i saw the watertempeture it was 10C/50F that's a lot warmer then normal. The reason why we don't get here that cold, the wind stay blowing from the west to south ...

The sea is warmer then normal because the very hot summer! So if the wind going to turn to the north we can't get also very cold directly because the sea is "warm" ...

Robbin

Southwest

NWS-SD  OFFSHORE BUOY REPORTS -01/04/07  

SAN CLEMENTE BASIN - 62F  

SANTA MONICA BASIN - 60F  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 04 2007,09:37)

Hi Keith,

The Gulf temps at Clearwater Beach are right around 70F this morning.  The Bay was at 71F yesterday afternoon.

Ray

Lets hope it stays that way in case a cold front hits.

Ive watched the Gulf temp at the USF station in Tarpon Springs and have seen it vary tremendously (I assume due to some sort of upwelling in the area of the sensor)?

The highest I saw it last year was 94F and at one point, I remember seeing readings, albeit brief ones, in the upper 40's!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry,

What cold fronts?  Those are hereby outlawed this winter.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 04 2007,13:18)

Larry,

Im with ya.

But, if one front just happens to defy our decree, it is somewhat comforting to think that there are about a gazzlion gallons of 70 degree water surrounding us.

Larry 

The tide, Larry, and the shallow coast area and bay, get colder and hotter much faster than deeper offshore water.  Tide brings it by and shazam!  big temp flux.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Larry,

I'm with ya, brother Ray........... Let's keep that Jetstream as flat as a pancake and that cold arctic air up in Canada where it belongs....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Mid winter water temps here are around 18-19C ie 65F. Mid summer can be as high as 25C in a good year ie 77F.

The Leeuwin current from Indonesia and the tropical Indian ocean has a strong influence close to shore. Further out we have a cold current which goes in the opposite direction. Where they meet frequently has giant swirlings around 200km in diameter when the currents are at there peak. It's good to view from space with Infrared.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I also measured the temp of the reclaimed irrigation water a few days ago.  It was a little over 72F.  In the summer, it gets into the middle/upper 80's.

Larry 

• 14 years later...