IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FORUM SUGGESTIONS

PALM MOD

Clayton posted a couple of good suggestions in another topic. I thought it would be worth it to start a new topic, specifically for suggestions (I may regret this  :D ), and start it with his post which I will move here.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Post from Clayton:

Utopia Palms

Group: Members

Posted on: Dec. 26 2006,13:18    

Hi Dean and Bo

It would be good if we had on this forum instructions and information on how to make a pressing and recording the information needed to describe a sp. So all the members could list the correct information needed so a sp can be described.

Maybe John could list this for all the members to refer to.

This would make things a lot easier to describe.

Also I don’t know how hard this would be.

Another good idea would be

We have a wealth of knowledge and growing experience through ALL of the members, easily accessed through this medium.

It would be good to see it expanded to benefit all.

If we were able to list photographs of different species in an ordered fashion from seed through to mature plants from diverse growing conditions from all of our members

This would make a great reference guide for all!!

Probably easier said than done and take up way to much space to do! As I’m no computer expert more like quite the opposite!!

Clayton.

Very good idea!!!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

great ideas.i like the photo idea,kinda like the pacsoa site or phils website.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I like the PACSOA layout.  Click on a Genus....click on a species....pics/info come up.  Sounds like a full time job though for someone to set up and manage.  It would be best if it could be set up and members could just add to it without submitting to a manager.  But then that's sort of like a forum, which is what we have.....hmmmmmm

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

MattyB- The only problem I can see with the anyone can add pics is incorrect Identification of the photos.

Also, is the first bit from Clayton  on pressing plants for herbaria vouchering? I know a bit about doing that since I am a Botany Major in college and I have pressed plants in the past.

I will try to think of other ways to make the forum better and post them.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

I wonder if we could kinda "pirate" Wikipedia and get some stuff started there?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

To give all of you a little glimpse of the future:

What some of you may not realize, is that this Forum is a part of the main IPS website. You may not realize this because the present IPS website is somewhat antiquated, and does not offer much, except for information about the IPS itself, etc.  

A newly designed and greatly improved website has been in developement for some time, and should be launched sometime in the latter half of next year. And this Forum will continue to be a part of what should prove to be a fantastic site for everything related to palms. What I think I see developing is a site that will, among other things, have a section dedicated for palm identification complete with photos. Possibly a section for more research oriented material, such as up to date hardiness info, and new developements and discoveries, for example. There are many things this site could become. It will only need time, and the continuing dedicated effort and support of IPS members.

While I believe the forum will always be available for the general public, some of these more extensive and informative sections, in all likelihood, may be available only to IPS members. So if there are not enough reasons already to become an IPS member, with time there will be more and more.

So your suggestions are very welcome. Just keep in mind that we are not only talking about this Forum, but the overall site as well.

Clayton's idea re photos of specific species sounds great, but also very time consuming to implement/maintain.  A simplified version may be possible using the built in search engine, whereby rather than using the search facility as normal, you could click a genus or species link and this would search the forum for any related posts (rather than threads).  It obviously wouldn't be as good as Clayton's idea and would still require trawling through some posts, which may not be helpful, but would probably be easier to implement and wouldn't require ongoing maintenance.

Alternatively, photos could be gathered for Clayton's idea, but rather than from previous posts, through a dedicated area of the site for photo's of specific genera/species.  Dean could then moderate the content to just keep the best photos.

Either way the forum could do with a gallery section, either members galleries or genera/species galleries.  In terms of members galleries/space allowance, this could be based on a minimal contribution, for example $5.00 one off payment for 50Mb, for example.  It really depends a lot on how much the IPS pay for hosting, but webspace is becoming very cheap nowadays with some hosts even offering unlimited space and traffic for quite reasonable sums.

It would also be handy to have a means of sorting members, based on geographical location and/or climate.  This would be very helpful for members trying to find other members who may be able to share more relevant experiences and information.  It may also encourage more of a community spirit, not that that is lacking at the moment.  This option could be developed for PM use, so a member could address a question via PM to, for example,  "all coastal SoCal members" or "all high rainfall zone 10b members".

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Dear Guys  :)

All the above suggestions are all good,i wish to say few

things_ kindly make this site Netscape borrowser friendly,

the web page should have auto refresh done every 10 to 15

seconds,if this is asking too much then at least the main

layout say_

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?

should auto refresh which will fecilitate the messanger and

new topics currently uploaded or updated..come to the

screen every 10 to 15 seconds auto refreshed.because broadband dsl line always on type of connection will make

full use of this feature.

And now a request to the members_when they join as new members i request that their user I.D has some closeness or

relevance to their names.since people like me who are not

good in names & numbers find it very difficult to remember

their real names.

Now to avatars if this is kept permenent by the board it will

be good,because some keep it empty & others keep

changing.or at times 2 people having similar avatars.it is

very very confusing to me as to whom am i addressing my

post to !

if the administrators canot do much about it,then members who are reading this request will at least try to understand the

difficulties it poses to members like me.and hope they stick

to their favouriate icon of their choice permenently.

To be open with you guys_its really confussing to me.

thanks for tolerating that !

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I don't think the username suggestion will work.  I, for one, use the name Neofolis to everything I sign up for on the internet.  You could, however, get around this, by using the field Member's Real Name from the profile and having that information, if entered, posted as part of the signature.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I think the photo database idea is excellent. How often do you spend time researching on line something you saw mentioned here? I spend alot.

Some good examples of these are Fairchild's website, and my favorite Dave's Garden with important info for each plant, plus a gallery. The gallery on that site is uploaded by the users. Also so is input for growing it.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Zac in NC @ Dec. 27 2006,08:05)

Kris makes a good point. Multiple users using the same avatar gets confusing. I know most usuers by their avatars if they are regulars.

Zac

Zac,

I had asked RLR about this when someone started using my avatar a while back. There is no way to prevent this if the avatar has been uploaded to our site.

However, I think in most cases (as it was in mine) the new user is unaware that it is being used by someone else. In my case, I simply emailed the person, and explained the situation, and it was changed.

At this time, I am unaware of the same members using the same avatars. I feel that the first one using it has debs. Perhaps I can try to "convince" anyone who takes over another's avatar to get their own.

So if anyone has no luck asking politely that someone discontinue using their avatar, let me know.

Kris, I don't about Netscape, but Firefox has an option on the right click menu to "reload every" with a choice of options or customized to you choice.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Kris (and anyone else),

I would highly reccomend trying Firefox as a browser. A free download.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Suggestion:

Increase the upload file size.  Maybe 150,000 Kb.  My pictures would be a lot bigger then.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Increase the emoticon limit.  Sometimes on PM's if you have a couple in the previous body then you can't use anymore.  Who ever heard of too many emoticons? ??? They're harmless :angry:          ? :laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Merry Christmas Matt  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

Is 25 enough  :)  ???  :cool:  :laugh:  :o  :P

I was even thinking of adding a few. I think I can do that,

Now remember, overuse is abuse.  :)

Thats nice Dean. now we can emote to our hearts content. The only one I can think of isTropico's red crownshafted Royal. I have seen it around on other peoples other than his.

Zac

Zac  

(IPSPTModerator @ Dec. 27 2006,18:24)

I was even thinking of adding a few. I think I can do that,

Now remember, overuse is abuse.  :)

Re emoticons......

Ohhhh, I can think of a few we lack.

How about one for Tears, for the favorite palm that died.

And one for Embarrassed (for explaining just why that palm demised).

And certainly Rollin' Eyes - we definitely need that one :D

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(IPSPTModerator @ Dec. 27 2006,00:44)

While I believe the forum will always be available for the general public, some of these more extensive and informative sections, in all likelihood, may be available only to IPS members.

I sure hope the Forum will always be available to the general public.  To do otherwise would be counter-productive - it would cut off people who are new to palms, who come here for information, then later get "bitten by the bug."    There'd be much less discussion, I think.  

This is probably the busiest (or close to it) and most informative forums for tropical plants, specifically palms, and it would be wonderful if it could stay that way.  just my op.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Dec. 27 2006,21:59)

(IPSPTModerator @ Dec. 27 2006,00:44)

While I believe the forum will always be available for the general public, some of these more extensive and informative sections, in all likelihood, may be available only to IPS members.

I sure hope the Forum will always be available to the general public.  To do otherwise would be counter-productive - it would cut off people who are new to palms, who come here for information, then later get "bitten by the bug."    There'd be much less discussion, I think.  

This is probably the busiest (or close to it) and most informative forums for tropical plants, specifically palms, and it would be wonderful if it could stay that way.  just my op.

Sunny,

I can't agree more with you.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I think this is the greatest recruiting tool the IPS could ever have, and that is why I couldn't ever imagine it being restricted to anyone interested in getting more involved with palms.

Just remember though that it is not free. That is why I "push" IPS membership when I can. By becoming a member, you are supporting this forum.

Something I do find strange, unless I am missing it, there is no link to the main IPS site anywhere here, neither is their much indication of association other than the small text on each of the forum logos, which could easily go un-noticed to many.

I assume when the new IPS site comes online there will be greater interactivity between the two sites.  This also raises the issue that it is difficult to know what to recommend for this site without knowing what will be on the new IPS website.  For example, I was going to suggest a links page for this site, but if there will be one on the main IPS site and this site is going to become intertwined with the updated IPS site, it would be superfluous to have a link page here as well.  The same could be said for some of the earlier suggestions, like the photo/information database.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Sunny (and Jeff),

RLR stressed the importance of the IPS Forum being available to non-IPS members for the very reason that you mention. We obviously want to encourage more palm enthusiasts to become members, and this is probably one of the best ways of doing so. Or at least, once the new site is up and running. Since the new site has been discussed, and planned for a couple of years now, not too much thought has gone into the present (old) site since everybody on the IPS board agreed that the financial resources needed to go towards the design of the new one. Some of the suggestions brought up here may not be feasible for the Forum itself, but may turn out to be excellent ideas for the new IPS website, so please keep the ideas flowing.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

i like matty suggestions on emoticons limit extended &

the still upload size to 150 to 200 kb please.reducing it

to below 100 kb is tiering resizing job.

i request for new emoticons which are active,i.e with

the smile icons lips & eyes moving_lively stuff.

and thumbs up, thumbs down emoticons & when you

answer that the a gift or product given to you by

your friend we in india make a gesture thumb finger

and index finger to gether & rest of the fingers

standing straight_i think even you know what iam

saying.if you dont go to

www.audiocontrol.com

their company also uses this symbol.i wish to see this sign

in emoticons.i feel these symbols speak more than words do.

Dear dean kindly look at my request and please make it a

reality.

Thanks in advance.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

If anybody has emoticons they would like to add, email them to me. I will, however, have to learn how to upload them to the server. I'm pretty sure I can.

I think you have to do true email as opposed to PM.

d.ouer@mac.com

A greatly imporved website???

Is someone's mommy better than  mine?

I'll handle it if so, but I like it the way it is, so help me . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

"Greatly improved website" refers to the IPS website, not the Forum per se.

The IPS site is certainly overdue for great improvement.

I was wondering, you mentioned financial resources required for the new IPS website.  Does the IPS not realize that there are people here, who would happily do this work on a volutary basis, which would only leave the cost of hosting, which doesn't need to cost more than $100p.a. for any site.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Thinking about it a bit, some kind of online catalogue of palm species would be useful.

Also, I think we should keep the Palmtalk open to all, but maybe have other features for members only that might entice newbies to join our crowd as paying members?

Perhaps do the online catalogue that way.  

Hmm.  Feeble brain all fired up, watch out . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Dec. 29 2006,01:45)

Thinking about it a bit, some kind of online catalogue of palm species would be useful.

Also, I think we should keep the Palmtalk open to all, but maybe have other features for members only that might entice newbies to join our crowd as paying members?

Perhaps do the online catalogue that way.  

Hmm.  Feeble brain all fired up, watch out . . . .

dave

I like that Dave, what about a genus link section, linking to the existing PACSOA site. It would'nt really take that much time to set up, and it's only done once. They (PACSOA) would more than glady agree you'll find. That way the site could be maintained even better with members being able to produce photos for that web site.

Here's an example:

Archontophoenix

Chamaedorea

Licuala

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

Do you know anyone over at PACSOA? Like who I would contact regarding your suggestion?

(IPSPTModerator @ Dec. 29 2006,06:36)

Wal,

Do you know anyone over at PACSOA? Like who I would contact regarding your suggestion?

Mike Gray is the webmaster, best start with him. Tell him that Wally Donovan, member of the Brisbane Palm and Cycad society chapter and newsletter editor suggested this. I don't think I've met him, but that shouldn't matter.

His email:

webmaster@pacsoa.org.au

Good Luck mate

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dean- I believe he is a member of this forum as well. I have recieved an email from him about the use of the pics of the uresanas from Sonora on the PASCOA site.

Zac

Zac  

Thanks for the info Wal and Zac. Must be the same guy who asked me about using some Calyptrocalyx pics I posted in the old forum.

I'd agree with keeping it public. Anyone who stumbles upon the IPS website or this one and catches the palm bug is pretty much a gonner :D

Maybe a link to the IPS subscribe page would be a good idea, or just a link to the IPS site in case someone's found this page via a websearch. If someone comes into palmtalk via a search there's no real link that's easy to find or that stands out  that takes you straight to the IPS site. Sure, there's the oval shaped logo at the top of the page, but that takes you to the old forum. There's no link from this site to the IPS site- or not one that's easy to find (right in front of your face- big flashy graphic). Maybe a graphic link can go right in between that space to the left of the palm talk archive graphic at the top of the page.

Ok, I did a websearch on for palmtalk on google and sure, there was a link to the IPS on that first page, but it was just a little text link. No one's going to know what the IPS is on a first view basis. Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but it's just a thought. Know what I mean, Vern?

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I believe that the IPS site and forums should have everything in house. Replying on other sites or people can cause issues in the end. It would be a shame to have some issue come up where a lot of work would be lost for whatever reason. Also, the IPS should be the most extensive collection of palm data. After all, isn't this where all the 'experts' hang out? I think if there were some method for collection in place, this site and forums could be the one-stop location online for palm information. There should be no reason why we can not make the palm database like a large book or Wiki. Dave Garden has an excellent database. But no real moderation or flow.

The IPS needs to make money to do some of the things it does and to grow and improve. While you should never limit public forums, I think allowing only access to the palms database for IPS members would increase membership. Research channels are not free online. Look at genealogy sites. People will pay for research or to have access to a great resource. of course the resource would have to have the value in it to be worth it. There are a great many free ones online that have already been pointed out. So it would take a lot of work. Maybe for those put so much time in volunteering, there should be some other nomenclature. Most forums have this. They do it by post count. But you can restrict this. I know it sounds stupid, but people really like to have little extra notice factor on forums.

Just a thought from a new guy. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(Neofolis @ Dec. 27 2006,10:41)

It really depends a lot on how much the IPS pay for hosting, but webspace is becoming very cheap nowadays with some hosts even offering unlimited space and traffic for quite reasonable sums.

While host offer unlimited space and bandwidth, they do not offer it for resource use. Forums are resource killers. The term unlimited is nothing more then a buzzword and net used to get clients. 99% of those that sign up for hosting will never cause issues. The 1% that do will quickly find out unlimited really is not unlimited. And the first to usually find this out are forum sites.

Also, most host find and terminate data dump /image dump sites abusing unlimited space and bandwidth. So the IPS should be careful of this as it grows.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin