Kumar

First Roystonea Harvest

Kumar

The first flowering of my roystonea regia took place in august last year and the fruits are now mature and falling like rain. I've collected a large handful and can send them off to anyone who is interested. The mother tree is a real rocket - 45 feet+ at the top of the crownshaft, planted as a three foot high seedling in March 2000. I know this is one of the commonest palms but just in case someone wants some genetic variation. Let me know.

dalmatiansoap

PM sendt

:greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Kumar

Thanks to everyone who showed interest - I will be posting the envelopes on Monday.

PS - The mother tree is the photo used in my avatar on the left (before the flowering bracket opened)

Ice Blue

Kumar

I received the seeds today. They all survived thanks to your expert packing and all sunk in the float test! Thanks so much. Now to plant them!

Kumar

Kumar

I received the seeds today. They all survived thanks to your expert packing and all sunk in the float test! Thanks so much. Now to plant them!

I am so happy to hear that ! It feels wonderful when all that seed is put to some use - I just can't tolerate the way gunny bags of the stuff are discarded - as is the case with my caryota.

fdrc65

do you have some seeds still?

thanks

Federico

Kumar

do you have some seeds still?

thanks

Federico

i do, but i'm not sending those to anyone because they are two-three months old and i don't know how well they will germinate, if at all.

protempsfish

Thanks Kumar! Just received the seeds on Friday and have been soaking them all weekend. Thanks again my brother!

Kumar

To All who received my seeds, here is an update on a few 'control' volunteers from the same batch. I had to uproot all but a few, which were retained in case anyone wanted a comparison of growing speed. As you can see, at about 4-5 months of age, they are showing good progress, with zero maintenance and no watering except rainfall, grown in shade.

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

axelsh

Hola hou :)

Can anyone provide fresh seeds of Roystonea ?

I have tried two times seeds of Roystonea regia via ebay, but no luck with germination :(

DoomsDave

PM sent

If none now, then later.

Unless the regia decides to go celibate . . . . :)

• Upvote 1

Phoenikakias
On 9/6/2017, 6:58:20, DoomsDave said:

PM sent

If none now, then later.

Unless the regia decides to go celibate . . . . :)

Put me also in the list, any royal palm seed produced in California, is most welcome. 

dalmatiansoap

Standing in that line...... :)