IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn/Spring that time again

Tyrone

Hopefully won't be that bad, Tyrone. We do get 8 deg morning some years, but the warm day seems to compensate well. We shall see. Can't protect the garden... Too many to protect.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I hope you have a mild winter Ari. Have you ever lost anything to cold before? Just looking at extreme mins for the Top End I would now and again be concerned for C renda on occasion in the inland areas, but the advertised mins don't reflect what a good microclimate can do so in the right spot I wouldn't even be concerned for C renda. Even my little set up down here will hold 2-5C above the advertised mins depending on the area. I think the coldest my coconut has seen is 4C when the advertised min was a bone cracking record of −1.1C.

This morning was 4.9C, much like the previous morning. Going for a sunny 20C again which is nice. A large high is almost stationary off the coast and is slowly intensifying to 1037hPa. 1028hPa over Perth at the moment so the skies are blue, and there's not a breath of wind at all. Just yesterday cut away some foliage on the north side of my coconut so it's now going to get full winter sun, so the sunnier the days the better for it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Renda is fine.... they are still chugging along :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone it was 23C here today and 15 c overnight even my leppidorachis were sweating :mrlooney: these are crazy temps for down here should be around 12 - 16c at best

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Tyrone it was 23C here today and 15 c overnight even my leppidorachis were sweating :mrlooney: these are crazy temps for down here should be around 12 - 16c at best

Very warm for May Troy. The east coast is in a northerly flow at the moment. We had a 17C min before the cold front hit on Friday, then the bottom fell out of the temps.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Forecast for the next week is for max's in the low to mid twenties and nights from 9-12C with a bit of rain by Monday. Not bad actually. Nice and mild. Nothing really cold forecast yet. It looks like rain from Monday right up to mid June, so unlikely to get cold nights during that period. I just hope we don't dry out again mid winter like we did last year and have weeks and weeks of nights 5C and below. That was hell.

Tyrone

Record breaking time here..

April 2011 was the warmest ever (Since the start holding records), the last warmerst was 2007 so that one has broken again. Lot's of daily records has been broken either, March and April where very sunny and got a top 10 place.

There is not too much rain and because of that there is also a possibility for the driest spring ever (this year is even drier then the old time record 1976). A place in the top 3 for the warmerst and sunniest spring is also possible. May is also going to be warmer then normaal I guess.

So good spring for us, but very negative for the farmers who have the give water all the time and if they don't then the vegatables will die of drought. Don't foget the nature fires that has destroyed already lots of nature.

Southwest

A big nature fire on the Dutch/Belgium border broke out in the end of the afternoon yesterday, just a bit south of me. It's a beautifull area but because the drought and water shortage they had problems to get in under control. In the evening the smoke even reached over us till Rotterdam. This morning I open my window and it was just like a open fire place, that smell. Almost 500 hectares are burned to ash.

This morning they had it under control but because the strong windspeeds till 80 km per hour it has started again on different places. This was from a cold front that was moving over but it gave only wind and not the rain like we get used to in the past. Yesterday a burning wood smell in the evening and today it's dust from the farmers land that blowing everywhere.

post-171-053206800 1306427268_thumb.jpg

post-171-095684500 1306427288_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture from someone in the east, but it's very similair for loads of places in the country at the moment. Drought and high wind speeds means almost look a like dust storms. Should be quite dangerous on the roads I guess when there is only dust before your eyes.

http://www.weerwoord.be/uploads/1452011262700.jpg

Today also officialy broke the record sunshine during springtime. No spring ever before this one got so much sun shining hours with mean the old record has been broken. The sun has been shining 655.1 hours this spring so far. In the past there where only 5 springs more that has sunshine for more then 600 hours. Interesting thing is 3(!) of them where this century 2009 (605), 2003 (619) and 2007 (639.6)

The last few months was not very northwest europe like but more southern europe like. The only difference is here we had still some cooler days but mostly still above our average. However the forecasted rain for the next few days is very low, possible none and it looks like we going to the 25C next monday again... Got cold winters yes, but al this warmth/heat records means the climate is still changing in warm sight.

Southwest

Not nice to see the destruction fires bring. It's common sight down here.

3 days out of winter and we're going for 24C today and 25C tomorrow. Nights are quite cool single digits (7-9C) at the moment. Then on Monday the rain starts the max's drop to low twenties and the mins come back up into the teens. Not bad really.

Best regards

Tyrone

Seasonal outlooks are in.

Rainfall. (Perth and the SW OZ are in real trouble now. )

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/rain_ahead.shtml

Temp.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/temps_ahead.shtml

My part of the world is converting to a drier winter pattern with warmer winters. Good for my coconut and tropical plants, but terrible for the water supply here. 2 record droughts (dry winters) here in a row is going to bring disaster to gardens and the gardening industry here. :(

They'll end up piping it in from the Ord.

The only solution I think. This part of the world can't cope with the amount of people that keep pouring in here, so something artificial has to be done like a pipe from the Ord. The pollies keep on whinging and whining that it won't work, that it'll be too expensive, and we won't be able to afford to turn the tap on. But they forget that it was done in the late 1800's from Perth to Kalgoorlie when technology was no where near as sophisticated. They can pipe gas where ever they want for thousands of km's. Trouble is the pipeline should have been built 30 years ago, when the gas pipeline was built. We'll need the water in a few months, not years.

Best regards

Tyrone

a lot of booster pumps.... but can be done!! Yes, expensive, but they just have to bear the cost. If they want growth, they have to provide the infrastructure unfortunately.

Dry here.... not so bad though, the temperature never goes above 32. Irrigation is on and keep everything looks ok. Some stuff has gone dormant early this year. I just hope we won't get to single digit.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, what would we do without bore water? :D

They've forecast possible flash flooding for Perth tonight and tomorrow morning. You don't see that in Perth forecasts very often. Beautiful blue skies and 24C at the moment. Just gave everything a water as things were drying out again. Then tonight hopefully we'll get a ton of rain. My fishpond should fill up again. :D

I wouldn't have a garden, Tyrone.... definitely not in Darwin :).

Lucky you, Tyrone!! I hope you do get your rain. Now I remember why I don't like dry season... as much as I love the temperature & humidity, everything is SO BROWN already... dusty too... and smoky. Usually it doesn't get like this until June/July. Oh well....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Another 30mm today...good for the plants but not good for Sunday!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It feels like a summers night at the moment. 20C at 7.24pm and calm waiting for the big storms to come. Expecting some flash flooding with this one. Winds are expected to gust to 110kph in thunderstorms. Earlier today on the infrared it looked like it had an eye for a couple of hrs maybe 400km out. Never seen that on a cold front before.

Best regards

Tyrone

wow 30 mm... I got only a bit more then 40 mm the last three months. Yes, for large scale of the country it's the driest spring ever, even drier then the all time record 1976 with a June and July ahead... Should be hard times for the farmers at the moment, specially when you see again no rain for at least 10 days.

Almost 30C yesterday and 12C last night. Humidity was very low yesterday with the lowest around 25%. Today a cold front is coming over and means no high temperatures, but after today we are going back to the 25C later this week. Sun, sun and even more sun, never seen so much sunshine in a spring I guess.

Southwest

Had around 40mm of rain over the last couple of days. Most (25mm) fell in the few hrs of Mon morning. Since then it's been raining on and off with a bit of sunshine.

Goodbye autumn, hello winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

Bummer... 12 deg yesterday and today I am sure we are at single digit. FREEZING this morning!!! The coldest May in record, must be!! Pity we don't have very reliable weather station anymore....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

First day of winter came with a vengeance. Minimum was 11.1C (52.0F). Yesterdays maximum was 30.5C (86.4F). Today is expected to be much the same.

Looks like being a much colder winter than last years, or perhaps it's just come earlier. May (last month of Autumn) last year the mean minimum was 23.2C (73.8F). May this year mean minimum was 16.8C (62.2F). Mean maximums were closer, 32.8C (91.0F) and 31.4C (88.5F).

This morning (2nd day of winter) it was 11.0C (51.8F) but at around midnight. After that it warmed(?) up a bit to 15.4C (59.7F) at around 4AM. Then to 7AM it dropped to 13.1C (55.6F) but went up rapidly after that as the sun came up.

Horn Island is looking very appealing now, they've had their coldest morning, 23.8C (74.8F). I think I could cope with that type of minimum.

Ari, are you going to the botanic gardens this weekend?

That's cold mins for you guys up there. We've been having 14's and 15's lately, but only due to cloud cover.

Had 30mm of rain in the last 24 hrs most overnight. Got caught in very heavy rain driving home from south of Perth yesterday. For a good 10km it was solid heavy rain slowing the lines of traffic right down to 35-40kph in a 90 zone. It felt like I was driving underneath a waterfall in sections, and the intersections were full of water. I'd been working 40km south of Perth in the rurals putting in retic and had been dodging heavy rain periods all day. The paddocks were all flooded and squishy. The amount of rain I saw down there must have been 20-30mm while I was there because almost every shower overflowed the gutters on the property I was at. After all that I was amazed that the official reading was 8mm for the day to that point!! Bickley had 16mm which was more believable. I think we are getting more rain than the official readings are reflecting.

Back to single digit mins from tonight. Going down to 5C. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

A bit of rain would drive our minimums up, but this time of year ....... it's clear, clear, clear deep blue skies during the day, and diamond studded black velvet at night. Humidity is down low although there's still a lot of water flowing in the creeks from the heavy wet season. Not a lot of wind, especially at night. Apparently Palmerston got down to 8C this morning. And on talk-back radio all the townies are raving how wonderful this weather is, cool and dry. They can have it.

Make the most of your rain. When you get back to summer you'll be longing for some. (Unless they do an extra quick job on that Ord pipeline.)

Bummer... 12 deg yesterday and today I am sure we are at single digit. FREEZING this morning!!! The coldest May in record, must be!! Pity we don't have very reliable weather station anymore....

Hi Ari, that even got a mention on the news down here..the coldest May ever in Darwin...what is going on?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

not sure what is going on, Daryl... not happy about it though...

Zig,

Yes... I will be there. Are you going? When are you going? Call me...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"