IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A U.S. weather blurb from Accuweather

SubTropicRay

"Cold Air Shots Are Not A Pattern Change

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I DON'T SEE A MAJOR PATTERN COMING YET, ONLY SHOTS OF COLD AIR, AND THAT REALLY IS NOT A PATTERN CHANGE IF IT WARMS UP AFTERWARDS....

Video will be on when I get in the office...Snow map is coming today for the storm in the Plains and Great Lakes...

I know, I know, I know ... the talk out there amongst many meteorologists that a major pattern change is coming, but I just don't see it yet. Below are the graphs of the Arctic Oscillation (AO), North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) and the Pacific/North America Oscillation (PNA). Notice that the AO is forecasted to tank negative which is what people are keying on because it means that cold air could be heading back into Canada and the U.S. But also notice the NAO and PNA, no real change over the next 2 weeks. So what I am saying, and I want to make this clear, the winter pattern for the most part is set. While we will see surges of cold air coming through the East, overall, trying to make up for the lack of snow is going to be hard. In addition, temperature deviations from normal may be on the cold side for a few days, but the deviation from normal on the warm side will outweigh the cold side when we look back at the winter.

I asked the question about snowless winters in the East and I was swamped with many e-mails about the winter of '72-'73. By the way, I do read all the e-mails that come in. I may not reply to all of them because I would be up until 3 a.m. every night doing so, but I do like to read everyone's thoughts on the weather. Now, the '72-'73 winter was a strong El Nino year. To give you some idea, the SOI values for 1972 were..

1972 Nov -3.4 1973 Jan -3.0

So far in 2006 Nov was -1.4 and Dec -3.0

The higher the values, the stronger the El Nino, so as you can see, the El Nino was much stronger in 1972 compared to 2006. So I don't think there is any significant correlation between the two winters, other than it was depression for snow lovers.

Take a look at the images below, and you decide if a major pattern change is coming or not. Again, I think it's a winter for wild swings and we may just see the wilder swings coming now, but overall, the winter will be known for the warmth... "

PNA

image unavailable

Updated: 1/3/2007 8:58 AM

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray,

I just had someone come into my office at work and yell at me... they said: "It's your fault we have no snow..... You and your damn Palm Trees"... I just smiled and said I wished I had that kind of power :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Thanks Ray for sharing your insight   :P   I tend to agree that this ENSO is indecisive.  I am encouraged that models are in agreement into next week.  Possible big rain event for SoCal  :)  

Australian Bureau of Meteorology suggest possible El Nino weakening :

http://www.terradaily.com/reports....99.html

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW