• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Macrozamia

edbrown_III

I was enjoying the garden and took this photo of M. montperriensis

These arent huge but I enjoy them alot

Best regars

Ed

post-562-064870500 1299073612_thumb.jpg

Ed,

Nice. You need to give us a complete inventory of your cycads! Only so I know what to attempt :) . I'm half kidding but its always great when someone with your experience in our area shares their knowledge. Based on your descriptions from other posts (and from a few other generous folks on this board) I'm currently growing 4 different Macrozamias (mountparriensis, johnsonii, moorei, and communis (from Krishna)). All four are planted out and made it through this winter with no damage (low down to 20F possibly a little colder), and the first three were out for last years tundra blast and only experienced some slight browning on the leaf tips.

Do you have any recommendations on other macrozamias to try in Gainesville?

Also, the plant I think is M. moorei is starting to exhibit a nice silver blue color to its new leaves. Does this sound like moorei? Hopefully if you can't answer this someone else will chime in.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I'd like to hear what cycads made it through your winter down there. I could steal your secrets!:evil:

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I think any of the Macrozamias can take this type of weather. I have had M. riedeli and M. fernsideia out as well.

They rotted but were not impactd by cold just my high water table. Thanks for the kind words

Best regards

Ed

Probably all macrozamias will take down to about 25F with no ill effect.

The most cold hardy would be the ones growing around Coonabarabran and the Pilliga Scrub that is secunda, heteromera, stenomera, humilis, polymorpha, glaucophylla, diplomera and concinnis.

Next most cold hardy would be the NSW coastal plants: communis, spiralis, elegans, reducta, flexuosa, montana, fawcetti and johnsonii plurinervia

Then the Queensland inland species machini, conferta, viridis, cardiacensis, parcifolia, crassifolia, mountperriensis, longispina, moorei, fearnsidii, platyrachis

and lastly the Queensland coasta plants: lucida, P/g, douglasii, lomandroides, serpentina

I'm sure i've missed some but this will give you an idea.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Bruce,

Good to hear form you and thanks for commenting . You are the ranking expert on theses species.

I have grown these a long time but only had them out in weather down to 20F or so.

I believe that you have commented that some of your plantings have survived the teens ?

Best regards

Ed

Thanks Bruce,

Are you still operating your nursery in Fallbrook? I picked up my Macrozamias from you a few years back and they are doing great. I'd love to pick up some of the other species you mentioned.

jason

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Ed congratulations on your Macrozamia mountperriensis !

I have a small Macrozamia mountperriensis of only 4 leaves, growth is very slow !!

GIUSEPPE

Ed,

Nice. You need to give us a complete inventory of your cycads! Only so I know what to attempt :) . I'm half kidding but its always great when someone with your experience in our area shares their knowledge. Based on your descriptions from other posts (and from a few other generous folks on this board) I'm currently growing 4 different Macrozamias (mountparriensis, johnsonii, moorei, and communis (from Krishna)). All four are planted out and made it through this winter with no damage (low down to 20F possibly a little colder), and the first three were out for last years tundra blast and only experienced some slight browning on the leaf tips.

Do you have any recommendations on other macrozamias to try in Gainesville?

Also, the plant I think is M. moorei is starting to exhibit a nice silver blue color to its new leaves. Does this sound like moorei? Hopefully if you can't answer this someone else will chime in.

Thanks,

Jason

M. redelie has this color also ---

Come by some time when I m barbequeing and I will show you the plants.

Best regards

Ed

Ed,

No redelie yet, but I'll keep a look out for one to plant out. I'll let you know next time I'm up your way and see if you have some free time. I'm always good for barbecue :D .

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 10 years later...
On 3/2/2011 at 4:00 PM, edbrown_III said:

Bruce,

Good to hear form you and thanks for commenting . You are the ranking expert on theses species.

I have grown these a long time but only had them out in weather down to 20F or so.

I believe that you have commented that some of your plantings have survived the teens ?

Best regards

Ed

Any updated info on hardiness Ed? Thanks