IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Raphia vinifera

Tyrone

I've managed to pick up a Raphia vinifera in a 200mm pot. I was just wondering what cold they can handle? I don't have any photos of it because it's coming on a truck from Carnarvon at the moment.

Are they a full sun or part shade palm? Raphia is a genus I know very little about.

Any thoughts appreciated.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone,

These very large palms get very big, fast. If they get a good amount of rain, the growth can be tremendous. In South Florida, I have a large one(about 30'/9m.) and has been planted for over 10 years now. It's taken 30F many times that I can remember, and has never shown any damage.  Their pretty tough. Thats what I can share from here.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff for the info. It's good to hear. My garden will never see anything below 35F under canopy, and the place I am thinking of planting it will get good amounts of winter sun. I will also flood it thru the summer months, maybe plant it in some water retentive peat and manure, to compensate for the deep beach sands I'm on. I've read they have funny roots that stick out thru the mud like mangroves. That tells me they love there water soooo much. I've got a garden bore so I can channel a lot of water to it's "pig sty" if I want. I actually bought the plant for someone else who didn't want it in the end because he has no room left. I want to plant it, but my wife doesn't want me to. But it's such a crazy "in your face" palm I just might have to fit it in somewhere. It will definitely be a talking point if I can get it growing well.

best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone,

I've had one growing very slowly in Melbourne for the past 3 years.  I am not certain it is R. vinifera but it is unlike any common palm around here, it is still small and sort of looks like a lighter coloured, less compact  Butia with unarmed petioles.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

They want heat, and LOTS OF WATER.

I put one I had under the drippy-drip from a swamp cooler out in Sun Valley, California, and it went steroidal, only to yellow in the cool of winter.

In a place like Darwin, I'm sure they'll rock.

In Sydney, outside a perfect micro-clime, well, not so much.

That said, there was a cool one down in VEnice Beach for a long time at the house of Don Tollefson.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

There were several growing at Whyanbeel , they all flowered over the last few years , amazing flower spikes , like giant dreadlocks 'man' . I have heard of some growing well and flowering in warm temperate NSW, so there is a chance Tyrone , biggest issue is water .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hi Tyrone, Raphia can also take the dry very well,some of mine are planted on rock and have never been watered. if you are on sand make sure you mix plenty of compost through the sand, also do not water to much in the colder months untill it is well established,a good mulch will help as well.

ps here is a photo of one in flower.

Clayton.

post-592-1167973229_thumb.jpg

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be planting them in a deep planting of manure and peet, and water is no problem at all, because I don't water with scheme water as I have a bore. My plan is to have a separate tap on the Raphia to flood it's little muddy habitat. I've done the same thing with my Ravenea rivularis and it's huge now. In winter I don't water at all and let everything dry until it warms up again. Also we don't tend to get those traditionally wet winters at all anymore due to climate shift. I do at times have things wilting in July Aug because the day had warmed up and we hadn't had rain for more than a week. Not good for the climate and water supplies, but I don't seem to get any rotting from being too wet. My garden stays damp all thru the warm and dries out to a crisp in winter, especially under canopy. I'm going to try a coconut now climate shift appears to be permanent. This phenonemon is happening right down the west coast now, with the belts moving about 400km south. Perth now has a climate approaching Geraldton, and Geraldton now has the climate of Carnarvon.

So that all being said, I'll be planting my Raphia today and I'll post a pic when it's done.

regards

Tyrone