IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus X Juebae

Gallop

I have 2 Syagrus X Juebae growing in ground for 2yrs. Both had gone pinnate this past summer. They survived last winter w/ overhead protection. In the low 20s for many days. They pulled through OK. This year no overhead protection and saw low 23F or so with heavy frost. Within a few weeks they went into rapid decline 1 plant spear pulled the other doesn't look to healthy it might make it ,we'll see. I'm coming to the conclusion these won't make it here in Pensacola Fl. it's to bad they are such a neat palm, they look quite different at an early age than the rest of my hybrids. On the other hand both my JXS took the last 2 winters like a champ.

Paul Gallop

Maybe they are like queens and gain quite a bit of hardiness as they age? It seems impossible that the Jubaea genes didnt give any extra hardiness, even if it was the father plant.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Maybe you are right Krishna, I've recently dug both plants and they will remain potted till they reach some size, then maybe I'll give it another go. I think one won't pull through I treated it with copper fungicide and waiting to see what happens. My back yard is mostly sand so removal is relatively easy for small palms.

Paul Gallop

I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for the plants, these are so uncommon that it would be a shame if you lost it. You are right about how well the J x S does though. I think mine looks better than my B x P after the winter, though I did protect them from frost.

-Krishna

-Krishna

I checked on my hybrids today and both the JxS and the BxP have spear pull :badday: I think the will recover though, I poured some hydrogen peroxide in the middle and the other leaves are still a healthy green.

-Krishna

-Krishna

• 8 years later...
On 2/27/2011 at 8:26 PM, krishnaraoji88 said:

I checked on my hybrids today and both the JxS and the BxP have spear pull :badday: I think the will recover though, I poured some hydrogen peroxide in the middle and the other leaves are still a healthy green.

-Krishna

I know this is an old post, but do you recall at what temp they pulled ? 

Cheers! 

-RJ

It was low 20s but wet. They grew out of it and haven’t done it since. It might be just a baby palm thing

• Upvote 1

-Krishna