IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter Wrap

bubba

Winter is over for the Southern most areas of the US. These are four representative Cities from each area and their numbers as articulated by Weather Underground:

Los Angeles, Ca.

Dec.1-31,2010

Max Mean Low

85F 58F 37F

Heating Cooling Growing

214 8 242

Jan.1-31,2011

M M L

84F 60F 43F

H C G

179 16 284

Feb.1-10, 2011

M M L

79F 58F 39F

H C G

75 0 67

Miami, Fl.

Dec.1-31,2010

Max Mean Low

85F 62F 36F

Heating Cooling Growing

143 43 354

Jan.1-31,2011

M M L

85F 67F 44F

H C G

48 119 522

Feb.1-10,2011

M M G

87F 74F 57F

H C G

0 89 223

Brownsville, Tx.

Dec.1-31,2010

M M L

89F 65F 36F

H C G

99 107 466

Jan.1-31,2011

M M L

84F 62F 39F

H C G

126 45 373

Feb.1-10,2011

M M L

78F 48F 28F

H C G

168 0 34

Phoenix, Az.

Dec.1-31,2010

M M L

82F 60F 32F

H C G

164 4 302

Jan.1-31,2011

M M L

76F 56F 30F

H C G

282 0 183

Feb.1-10,2011

M M L

72F 50F 30F

H C G

147 0 30

What does this mean? You tell me. LA reported a Max/High of 85F. and a Low of 37F.Miami reported a Max/High of 87F and a Low of 36F.Brownsville reported a Max/High of 89F and a Low of 28F. Phoenix reported a Max/High of 82F and a Low of 30F.

The real numbers for tropical growers I believe to be identified in the combined Heating/Cooling/Growing accumulated degrees:

LA

H/C/G

468/24/593

Miami

H/C/G

191/251/1099

Brownsville

H/C/G

391/152/873

Phoenix

H/C/G

595/4/515

The accumulated "heat" is identified in these numbers. These numbers are modified by the low temperatures and their duration. Florida had a very cold Dec. Miami had an average Dec. of 62F., which is substantially below average. Koppen requires 64F for tropical designation and any questions about browning Coconut leaves are answered by these numbers.

Brownsville is of great concern. Notwithstanding relatively warm Dec. and Jan., the lengthy time involved in the "blue Northers" in Feb. could have a problematic effect on the numerous tropicals. Hopefully, they will prove they are more resilient than given credit.

The cold duration shows the issue that nearly tropical climates like RGV and So Fla experience with high heat with intervals of cold. This is the distinction between the cooler California climates that do not experience the infrequent but devastation of cold.Someone said it got cold in Phoenix and what is this about Tucson with a low of 19F. What does this mean? You tell me.

What you look for is what is looking

Brownsville looked almost on par with Miami for the first 2 months of winter, and then a way below average February, guess I'll have to wait another year to go to the RGV(If there are any cocos left....). The barrier island was just as cold as Brownsville :angry:.

Jonathan

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Only a weather nerd like me can appreciate the data you present, Bubba! :lol: It isn't a "wrap' yet especially along the West Coast but historically the worst of winter is generally behind us in the 4 palm-growing states [California, Arizona, Texas and Florida]. I recall March several years ago that was coldest month I have ever recorded so we really can't relax until April in California.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Xenon, I appreciate your comments. Do you know or does anybody have any idea how the RGV fared through this horrible episode?

Happ, For Florida, this only applies to the coastal areas of So Fla. Inland Florida has suffered tremendous cold related issues.Walt, in particular, has documented this personally with pictures of his losses. I can only hope that he experiences a greater recovery than he expects.Our Jan. of 2010 coupled with our Dec. of 2010 will make this one for the books.Happ, I think you need to articulate further on these numbers and what they mean.

I have greatly enjoyed Jason and some of the sites he included together with Ray's wit. This weather science stuff is very interesting.

I don't think it means anything since winter isn't over yet. Officially or unofficially.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Xenon, I appreciate your comments. Do you know or does anybody have any idea how the RGV fared through this horrible episode?

Happ, For Florida, this only applies to the coastal areas of So Fla. Inland Florida has suffered tremendous cold related issues.Walt, in particular, has documented this personally with pictures of his losses. I can only hope that he experiences a greater recovery than he expects.Our Jan. of 2010 coupled with our Dec. of 2010 will make this one for the books.Happ, I think you need to articulate further on these numbers and what they mean.

I have greatly enjoyed Jason and some of the sites he included together with Ray's wit. This weather science stuff is very interesting.

Not sure what to "articulate", Bubba. It has been well documented, as others have pointed out, that the Arctic Oscillation was quite active over the past two winters. Some meteorologists forecasted a very cold winter due to other factors including very cool La Nina water temps in the tropical Pacific. The recent events in Texas were incredible and a sobering reminder that the middle latitudes are vulnerable to sub-freezing temps on occasion.

But as Epicure states, it is premature to be speaking posthumously of winter in mid February. But the current trends support a nice warm-up over much of the nation east of the Rockies for a while. The West Coast, on the other hand, will experience some of the coldest weather all winter later this week. 80's will be replaced by a very cold and occasionally wet trough into next weekend.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Perhaps the Winter Wrap is premature. That stated, there is a change in the air in So. Fla. that usually means all we can expect is more heat. We will be hoping for a few more cool breezes and then praying for them.

Winter is over for the Southern most areas of the US. These are four representative Cities from each area and their numbers as articulated by Weather Underground:

Los Angeles, Ca.

Dec.1-31,2010

Max Mean Low

85F 58F 37F

Heating Cooling Growing

214 8 242

Jan.1-31,2011

M M L

84F 60F 43F

H C G

179 16 284

Feb.1-10, 2011

M M L

79F 58F 39F

H C G

75 0 67

Miami, Fl.

Dec.1-31,2010

Max Mean Low

85F 62F 36F

Heating Cooling Growing

143 43 354

Jan.1-31,2011

M M L

85F 67F 44F

H C G

48 119 522

Feb.1-10,2011

M M G

87F 74F 57F

H C G

0 89 223

Brownsville, Tx.

Dec.1-31,2010

M M L

89F 65F 36F

H C G

99 107 466

Jan.1-31,2011

M M L

84F 62F 39F

H C G

126 45 373

Feb.1-10,2011

M M L

78F 48F 28F

H C G

168 0 34

Phoenix, Az.

Dec.1-31,2010

M M L

82F 60F 32F

H C G

164 4 302

Jan.1-31,2011

M M L

76F 56F 30F

H C G

282 0 183

Feb.1-10,2011

M M L

72F 50F 30F

H C G

147 0 30

What does this mean? You tell me. LA reported a Max/High of 85F. and a Low of 37F.Miami reported a Max/High of 87F and a Low of 36F.Brownsville reported a Max/High of 89F and a Low of 28F. Phoenix reported a Max/High of 82F and a Low of 30F.

The real numbers for tropical growers I believe to be identified in the combined Heating/Cooling/Growing accumulated degrees:

LA

H/C/G

468/24/593

Miami

H/C/G

191/251/1099

Brownsville

H/C/G

391/152/873

Phoenix

H/C/G

595/4/515

The accumulated "heat" is identified in these numbers. These numbers are modified by the low temperatures and their duration. Florida had a very cold Dec. Miami had an average Dec. of 62F., which is substantially below average. Koppen requires 64F for tropical designation and any questions about browning Coconut leaves are answered by these numbers.

Brownsville is of great concern. Notwithstanding relatively warm Dec. and Jan., the lengthy time involved in the "blue Northers" in Feb. could have a problematic effect on the numerous tropicals. Hopefully, they will prove they are more resilient than given credit.

The cold duration shows the issue that nearly tropical climates like RGV and So Fla experience with high heat with intervals of cold. This is the distinction between the cooler California climates that do not experience the infrequent but devastation of cold.Someone said it got cold in Phoenix and what is this about Tucson with a low of 19F. What does this mean? You tell me.

As someone who lived on phoenix for 10 years I can say that Tucson is alot colder(5+ degrees). You cant grow queen palms in Tucson, let alone bizzies.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Perhaps the Winter Wrap is premature. That stated, there is a change in the air in So. Fla. that usually means all we can expect is more heat. We will be hoping for a few more cool breezes and then praying for them.

Hey Bubs-I know you study the numbers but don't forget to look out the window or go outside and smell the air...winter is not done yet...it will be in the 40's tonight on the coast in SOFLA.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

40's aren't winter to me. I'll take that all day long after what January 2010 through January 2011 brought us.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Looks like a warming trend 73F tomorrow to 77F highs by friday, no moisture in the forecast, and lows in the low to mid 50's. I am counting winter over. Time to get out and prepare the garden....

Tom Blank

Yesterday at noon the TV weatherman declared winter over in Ft. Myers area. He said now he will move to fretting over lack of rainfall and the impending brush fire season. To celebrate I planted 4 palms and several bromeliads in the shade garden. Let the growing begin.

For the next week highs will hover around 80, lows around 60.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

78 degrees +/- with 60 lows for the forseeable future(week). Its a wrap, time to tend to the garden and plant out. Hehe :D , well already planted 6 this year.... My favorite time of year.... spring.

Tom Blank

Highs in the mid 70s with lows in the high 50s here in Houston. Brownsville is hovering around 80 degrees with lows in the mid 60s.

:) Jonathan

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

What we really need is some warm winters for the next few years. The issue now is how much can these palms recover.

Brevard County, Fl