Sign in to follow this  
Kumar

Free Seed

Kumar

My dear friends - I have just returned to bombay after my thailand trip. (I will be writing on that soon) On my journey there I stopped briefly at calcutta where as per my instruction the caretaker of our santiniketan country home had kept for me a fruiting branch from each of the two phoenix sylvestris that grow there (and may soon be cut down I may add). Their fertility is beyond question and the trees are one very robust and dangerous, the other not so. You will find photos of one in my old discussion titled 'Sights of Bolpur' under Tropical Plants. Anyway, after cleaning the lot and discarding the rotten ones, hollow ones, etc. I am left with some sixty from each tree.

After nong nooch, I bought two different packs of seeds (they had only three varieties). Regrettably the tiny labels have only a blurred image of the palm and the name in vernacular. But Mek, the helpful lady there took me and pointed out a very very droopy livistona and another tall slender but good crowned pinnate palm a little like a veitchia? whose seeds are bright red eliptical. I have twenty each of the livistona and the veitchia? after keeping five for myself.

If any of you want any or all of these, at no cost of course, please send me a message. I will wait a week to see responses and then divide the seeds and post next week on a court holiday. If you wait till tuesday I will be able to photograph the seeds (my camera is damaged :( and I have given it for servicing).

Please check your respective local laws to see whether such seed is allowed. India Post has differential rates for different countries so if the post charge is unscientifically high, you may have to help on that.

Sincerely, etc.

gyuseppe

hello Kumar .

that species of Livistona could it be?

Kumar

L. Decora or chinensis I suppose. If this seed has been collected from one of the palms in the general growing area there is certain to be some amount of hybridization.

Kumar

Packets posted this morning. The post office says it should take a week.

smile

look ladies and gentlemen

Fresh seeds of livistona decora

four weeks at 25 degrees

thanks kumar

post-1440-086846100 1301762742_thumb.jpg

Edited by smile

gyuseppe

:D

look ladies and gentlemen

Fresh seeds of livistona decora

four weeks at 25 degrees