IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyclone Yasi coming to Qld

Cycadcenter

I wonder what kind of weather FM NEWCAL has been experiencing in Vanuatu since Tuesday, a bit of Yasi tail etc.. :unsure:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hey Michael, I know it's low to non existent on your list of priorities, but I'm just curious, how did the lippy hold up ? :hmm:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

good to hear you are ok

regards

colin

all good here. lost a 4 bay shed. lots of debris and trees, garden trashed. glad i had mainly smaller palms in the ground, but everyone is fine, thats the main thing. will post pics when i get some time over the next week or so. on generator power atm so dont want to use laptop too much. hope everyone else came through it ok.

cheers

Harry

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Judging by the photos I saw on TV of Mission Beach it probably won't take long to be beautiful again. The tall coconuts along the beach were still standing from the limited view I saw (but rather shredded); it's amazing how they can survive the strongest possible winds. I don't know about the licualas, but they are supposed to be flexible in the trunk as well.

After Larry many very tall Licuala's were sideways on the ground, some still growing back towards the sun with a 90 degree kink in the trunk and fruiting. Many tall snapped Hydriastele's, and buttressed trunk trees on the ground with 20ft tall buttressed roots sticking up into the sky. What seemed to happen to the stripped trees was vines were the quickest to grow over the remains of the trees. To a casual observer they looked green, but actually the trees were dead or nearly dead underneath. Yasi was much bigger, so who knows how that forest looks now. One thing is for sure, the way it looked in 2005 is not the way it will look again during our lifetime.

Townsville got hit real bad too. I wonder how the Palmetum is???

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Was on the phone to a friend in Townsville today. They were still getting very strong winds but from what she knew most damage was to windows and downed trees and power lines. Her garden was a mess with a lot of her trees down or limbs lost. She said there were some trees with huge limbs barely attached and hanging down, swinging in the wind. Bit risky to wander around outside. Never thought to ask her about the Palmetum but probably too early to know anything yet.

She's going to plant back but with palms now. Wants me to bring her a whole lot to put in. Of course I could give her enough Carpies to fill her block. Ari would be thrilled with that no doubt. :lol:

Zig,

there is a lady selling palms in Townsville. She had quite a collection.. I just hope she doesn't suffer too much damage. Let me know if you want her contact details

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I seem to recall in November the Bureau of Meteorology predicted about 6 cyclones this season for Queensland and about 9 for WA.

Thats pretty scary actually.

A few years ago, there were 4 or 6 which hit the USA in one season, so it can happen !

In Australia the season runs until early April so lets just hope there are no more, or not many more that size.

Edited by chris.oz

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

correction.... the season runs till early May... We had Monica in early May...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Zig,

there is a lady selling palms in Townsville. She had quite a collection.. I just hope she doesn't suffer too much damage. Let me know if you want her contact details

I'll be going over there Ari so I can take a load with me. She did say she wanted Carpies, they grow so quick. I have tons of Golden Canes. Can also give her one of my Lipsticks and a few of the Dypsis madagascariensis that are still in pots. She can work out after that what extra she wants. It's only a large residential block.

By the way, you're right about the later end to the cyclone season, but TC Monica came through about 27th April. I'll never forget it. The weather bureau put a 4 directly on my place on the forecast track map and scared the b'geezus out of me. My place in Jabiru had trees come down on it but no major damage.

Carpies... you are serious?? :blink: Well, just in case you want to give her a visit and bring some home with you (she might have joey?? - very reasonably priced, Zig!!). Oh... I wish she doesn't get damaged to badly!! She has beautiful palms in the garden too.... Hhmm, I might call her today and see how she is....

If you want anything else, you are welcome to come by my place and see what I can give you?? I might have something that you like?

I was scared with Monica too.... if it didn't turn at the last minute to hit near Maningrida, I reckon it would've flattened Darwin AGAIN. It was so strong.... Remember all the trees were bare too. Darwin was lucky!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Glad to hear that damage and loss of life due to the cyclone isn't too bad, according to what is being reported on American news. It seems with the earlier floods and how this tropical storm that Queensland has had more than it's fair share of Mother Nature's wrath! :( Good luck to all of those effected by this storm.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

correction.... the season runs till early May... We had Monica in early May...

Very true. The general thought is the later the cyclone the stronger it is. That is especially true on the west coast of Oz. TC Vance which totally wiped Exmouth was in mid March, TC Alby that came down to Perth in 78 was in April. Statistically those that come as far south as Perth in the west are late in the season. TC Bianca was an odd ball. We nearly wore that one but it isn't even worth comparing to Yasi. We only got rain from an unrelated tropical storm that preceded it.

I think the rest of the cyclone season will be entirely dependant on the strength of the La Nina, but we're not out of the woods yet by a long shot.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Carpies... you are serious?? :blink:

Yeah Carpies. They're cool. Actually brilliant for a cyclone. I wonder how all those Carpies in Townsville in the middle of the road near the markets faired next to the Strand. I collected seed off them when I was there and grew up a few here. I bet they took it all well. laugh.gif

Best regards

Tyrone

I called Rhonda in Townsville this morning.... She is fine!! None of her palms got damaged as far as she can tell... 2 of her native trees blew down & she swore she would never planted trees at her place ever again (not that she has any room left...lol). So, all is well for her so far.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Melbourne is getting a dose of Yasi.

Waves of thunderstorms are appearing from a trough and dumping up to 50 mm in 20 minutes

on parts of Melbourne.

I estimate 80-100 mm in the last 3 hours at our place.

Wind is effectively calm thankfully.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Melbourne is getting a dose of Yasi.

Waves of thunderstorms are appearing from a trough and dumping up to 50 mm in 20 minutes

on parts of Melbourne.

I estimate 80-100 mm in the last 3 hours at our place.

Wind is effectively calm thankfully.

Yep ! Two thumbs up....nice gentle soaking rain here. :D

I think this is the rain from the remnants of the earlier TC (Anthony)... we might get the remains of Yasi in a week or so.

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

The tropical low formerly known as TC Yasi is approaching Alice Springs at the moment with winds expected to hit 95kph in thunderstorms. When will this thing stop? It's made it to the middle of Australia!!!!

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks Daryl for the link to the Yasi photos. I saw NO news coverage of Yasi or the aftermath here where I live on TV. Today there was a mention in text at the bottom of the screen that the Australian government was sending in troops to help in the most affected areas. That's it.

I am amazed at how well so many places did with those kind of winds. Looks like a lot more damage to wood frame homes, and of course the roof lifting is expected. Are many of the homes made of cinderblock or concrete down there?

I kind of expected to see the damage in the photos to the banana plantation since musa don't do very well in any wind. I have seen some photos of snapped palms on a few sites but I agree that they seem to have come through Yasi pretty well based on pics I've seen. I saw some footage of palms during Yasi's winds near Innisfail I think that were taking a beating but seemed to hold on to their fronds pretty well. Amazing plants.

BTW "carpies" ....I'm fairly new to palms so have to ask for clarification...are we talking trachycarpus here? not something I'm picturing in tropical Queensland so think I'm not translating the term correctly. Thanks.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Thanks Daryl for the link to the Yasi photos. I saw NO news coverage of Yasi or the aftermath here where I live on TV. Today there was a mention in text at the bottom of the screen that the Australian government was sending in troops to help in the most affected areas. That's it.

I am amazed at how well so many places did with those kind of winds. Looks like a lot more damage to wood frame homes, and of course the roof lifting is expected. Are many of the homes made of cinderblock or concrete down there?

I kind of expected to see the damage in the photos to the banana plantation since musa don't do very well in any wind. I have seen some photos of snapped palms on a few sites but I agree that they seem to have come through Yasi pretty well based on pics I've seen. I saw some footage of palms during Yasi's winds near Innisfail I think that were taking a beating but seemed to hold on to their fronds pretty well. Amazing plants.

BTW "carpies" ....I'm fairly new to palms so have to ask for clarification...are we talking trachycarpus here? not something I'm picturing in tropical Queensland so think I'm not translating the term correctly. Thanks.

"Carpie" is a slang term for the palm Carpentaria acuminata. I believe it is an Australian native species and/or Australian national "weed". Not too bad looking to my eye but it grows very fast, seeds prolifically and loves precious water resources. It is also somewhat cold sensitive but grows fast enough to outgrow damage by summer. I confess I do have one - a gift from a palm friend. Don't shoot me.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

From the local paper:

"Flash flooding hit big parts of the state, and some towns stood on the brink of evacuation during cloudbursts forecasters said were unique.

The monsoon brought chaos to Melbourne, causing widespread flooding and damage to homes last night.

A teenage girl was snatched to safety from a tree she was clinging to after being swept away by a torrent in Ashburton.

Families were rescued from floating cars and from homes, and 45 people were evacuated from a nursing home in Narre Warren South.

More than 100mm was dumped on suburbs - 161mm at Lyndhurst in the southeast and hundreds of homes were inundated, the fire brigade said.

Water 1.5m deep gushed through a home in Ormond.

Moorabbin and Narre Warren, in Melbourne's southeast, were the worst-affected, but the west also endured some of the biggest downpours in memory.

Hail stones the size of golf balls fell on Leopold near Geelong, and half a dozen factories were damaged in Strezlecki Grove, Laverton, when 132km/h winds swept through the suburb.

"A mini tornado hit the area for sure," factor owner Stephen Tennyson said.

"Floor-to-ceiling windows in my office are smashed, the flag pole is bent in four different angles and corrugated iron is strewn around the area".

About 30,000 households in central, western and northern Victoria were left without electricity due to lightning strikes.

Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Dean Stewart warned that there could be further flash flooding across the state today, with heavy rain unlikely to ease up until the afternoon.

High humidity will also stick around until later in the day when drier air is blown in from the south west, he told 3AW Radio this morning.

The deluge was due to two cyclones: the angry tail of Queensland's killer Yasi, and the earlier Anthony."

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

That's some extreme tropical weather for Melbourne Michael. Are you back home? How did your garden take it?

Best regards

Tyrone

I hope it will be over soon... bring the monsoon back up where it belongs.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

And Yasi still lives on as a tropical storm. Now just to the southeast of Alice Springs ex-Yasi is bringing storms, strong winds and rain. It stands out on the Alice Springs weather radar, you can even see the "eye" clearly.

http://www.bom.gov.a...R252.loop.shtml

post-4226-053808800 1296875537_thumb.jpg

Unstoppable.

There is a ton of moisture over the interior and tropics now. No breaks in cloud from the equator down to the tropic of capricorn and right down to Victoria in the east.

Best regards

Tyrone

And Yasi still lives on as a tropical storm. Now just to the southeast of Alice Springs ex-Yasi is bringing storms, strong winds and rain. It stands out on the Alice Springs weather radar, you can even see the "eye" clearly.

Looking at the national radar for Aussie, could Yasi make it all the way down to the southern ocean and reform, or is that water too cold? It sure did plow its way into the interior.

Carl

Vista, CA

Looking at the national radar for Aussie, could Yasi make it all the way down to the southern ocean and reform, or is that water too cold? It sure did plow its way into the interior.

Way too cold, next stop Antartica, it looks like it's spilled it's guts way down past NZ. It's going to reach WA too and meet up with that other piece of NW WA weather.

IDE00005.201102052130.gif

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ex-Yasi is still being fed tropical air and moving along westwards just below the Tropic of Capricorn. It's expected to merge into a low pressure over the Pilbara (north west of its present position). Whether you could then still call the system "ex-Yasi" is debatable, but it will be carrying its residual moisture.

The merged system is expected to move off the coast and start to intensify. Despite Bianca having sucked a lot of the energy out of water, there's still a lot of warm ocean out there. Waters below the tropic are usually too cold to generate or re-generate cyclones. They only get down there if they've managed to develop some 'momentum' while still in the warmer areas. Bianca got down near Perth because of that. And a bit earlier Wilma almost got to New Zealand.

That band of cloud reaching down to NZ is a cold front, nothing to do with Yasi.

That band of cloud reaching down to NZ is a cold front, nothing to do with Yasi.

Yeah I thought so Zig, it looks like spilled intestines though, (what colourful language I have today).

That combo of ex tc Yasi and Pilbarra business looks like a Clash of the titans, especially if it does intensify.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It is not so bad if it is overland... over water, anything is possible!!

BTW, Wal.... Michael is asking for Ratpack's help to clean up...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ex-Yasi is still being fed tropical air and moving along westwards just below the Tropic of Capricorn. It's expected to merge into a low pressure over the Pilbara (north west of its present position). Whether you could then still call the system "ex-Yasi" is debatable, but it will be carrying its residual moisture.

The merged system is expected to move off the coast and start to intensify. Despite Bianca having sucked a lot of the energy out of water, there's still a lot of warm ocean out there. Waters below the tropic are usually too cold to generate or re-generate cyclones. They only get down there if they've managed to develop some 'momentum' while still in the warmer areas. Bianca got down near Perth because of that. And a bit earlier Wilma almost got to New Zealand.

Had a look at the synoptic out to Thursday and although a low does move off the Pilbara coast that may draw some of the energy from what's left of Yasi, they are not predicting much from it. The subtropical ridge has become really strong over here since Yasi, with big high pressure systems coming in sending dry, horrible easterlies over us that are expected to cause some mild damage around the foothills today, and have been for two days already. So something like a cyclone may form, but it won't come south, as the highs won't let them. Too much shear. But, I could be wrong. It happens a lot. :D

SST's are still high enough for a cyclone to come south.

Best regards

Tyrone

It is not so bad if it is overland... over water, anything is possible!!

BTW, Wal.... Michael is asking for Ratpack's help to clean up...

How is Michael holding up Ari? I see they've blocked visitors and the media from Tully and Tully Heads to give everyone a chance to come to grips with things.

Best regards

Tyrone

I talked to him yesterday. He was still cleaning up & inspecting the damage. He has 3 acres, so it would take a while to clean up. A few branches landed on his plants - the new planting that he did the other day got flattened. Some trees had a lean - which would be fine as he can stake them back up. But all and all, he was in good spirits - as I said, his house is still standing (very minimal damage I think) and his shed is a bit bent on the corner, but very much ok otherwise.

He still had no power yesterday. Talking about Brisbane loosing power for 48 hours, this guys might not have power for a week or so. But the shop is open again, so he can buy some stuff if he needs too... he has a friend who has a generator going so he could put his stuff in his fridge while the power is still off.

Anyway, has anyone heard anything from Lowey?? Does anyone know his number? Michael does, but it is on his computer and since he has no power, he couldn't check for me.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks for the info Ari.

All I know about Lowey is he is in Innisfail. If you find out anything let us know.

Best regards

Tyrone

...while fires are destroying houses near Perth.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

only palm down is the betle that I have noticed , lots of trees hit ther deck

onn limited battery power , mates generators got stolen

cleaned up a fraction of burnt plants , one day blazing sun caused havoc

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Glad you're back with us Michael even for a brief moment. Hopefully you'll have your garden up and going again soon.

Best regards

Tyrone

Good to see you back online Michael.

Here's an interesting map from CNN...I bet Troy, Jon and Sol have a good laugh...

post-42-044708800 1297081149_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!