IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

January thread

ZoneTenNut

63.7 here for the low this morning at 7:21am. Looks to be another 80ish day, sunny & nice breeze off ocean. :D

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

A rainy 69.1F for the low here at 7:39AM.  We are forecast for T'storms off and on all day with highs in the middle 70's.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

As I look out my window to check the digital thermometer, it is 70.0 degrees Fahrenheit at 8:15 AM EST. Particularly warmer than last New Year's and it is most welcomed. I was just in time to see the security cats chase off some squirrels heading for my seed trays.

Ryan

South Florida

My Floridian friends, this winter is almost surreal.  The long range forecast calls for more of the same.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Wish I could report similar conditions as my palm buds in Florida  :(

7:34 AM temp is 47.5 after a dry [as usual] cold front moved into & dissapated over SoCal.  Day is sunny and should warm close to normal values - near 70.

The parade will start soon under quite chilly conditions but the Rose Bowl game will be played under typically sunny skies & good visibility.   :cool:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 01 2007,09:51)

My Floridian friends, this winter is almost surreal.  The long range forecast calls for more of the same.

Ray,

It has been pretty warm, my azaleas think it is Feb/March. Although last year was pretty warm unil 2/14. Not complaining mind you, it can stay like this until April as far as I'm concerned. Would have said March,but some strange things have happened in March.

Not to be  MR. GLOOM and DOOM, but unfortunately  it only takes one night to ruin an otherwise MIAMI STATE OF MIND (weatherwise of course) here in central Florida! :cool:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

59.2f here in my backyard today.... Not dropping much below 41f for the rest of the week..... warmest winter I can ever remember so far

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Coolest summer I can recall here. Been under 30c (86f) since xmas day.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This morning at 12 midnight the temperature was around 80 F for the fireworks show on the Ponta Negra looking out over the Negro River.  

I was foolish enough to go over to see the fireworks at the Ponta Negra beach last night.  Too many people in one place and it was a complicated trip home.  But, we made it.

The lights behind the stage are boats.  The river is 8 kms wide at this spot.  If I go again I am going to go on a boat, one you can spend the night on.

dk

Happy 2007

PontaNegraanonovo.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Yesterday, NYE was heavy rain with temps in the low 70's. This morning was beautiful sun, 68º. Couldn't beat it. Great start to a new year here in Atlanta. The winds must have changed direction because the temps dropped off during the day and it was 54º at 5PM. Still, temps are forecast for > average the next 10 days. :cool:

Los Niños y Los Borrachos siempre dicen la verdad.

Happy New Year to all, I'm back!

Have been doing some outside work, pulling weeds and underground cables (weeds). I think I did a decent job and the HOA are crazy if they ever complain. Created new beds for plantings this year.

Mid 80s forecasted for this weekend! I hope that old man winter does not stop inhaling just yet...

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Mid 80s forecasted for this weekend! I hope that old man winter does not stop inhaling just yet...

I'm afraid that all the stuff he's been INhaling will be EXhaled in February :(

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Hi,

First for all a happy new year !

The winter is here so mild so far, also the forecast for the next 10 day's give tempeture's they are a lot above normal average !

The expect day's temps between the 10-12C/50-54F and night tempeture's around the 7-8C/44-46F

Normal daytempeture: 5C/41F, Normal nighttempeture: 0C/32F

So it's soooooooooo mild winter so far !!

Robbin

Southwest

Sunny today with highs about 70. Same tomorrow. Possible rain Thursday and then more Santa Anas for the weekend.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Man oh man!  I've been hitting the mid 30's just about every night.  It's bloody cold here in the mornings mate!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

In Granada Hills - Min temp this AM was 55.3 and the high today was 71.5

Max wind gust last hour 21.9MPH.

Humidy 15% Humidex 53.7F.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Light rain this morning with a low of 68.8F. at 7:48am and 88% humidity. Supposed to be 81F for high again today. With these warm temps and moisture, many plants and trees are putting out spring growth. I usually don't see this until middle of February. Lets hope we don't have a serious cold snap with all this new and tender growth.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ZoneTenNut @ Jan. 03 2007,07:52)

Lets hope we don't have a serious cold snap with all this new and tender growth.

Ditto that!

Larry 

(ZoneTenNut @ Jan. 03 2007,07:52)

Light rain this morning with a low of 68.8F. at 7:48am and 88% humidity. Supposed to be 81F for high again today.

Colder here this AM with a very early morning low of 62.2F at 3:02AM under semi-drizzly skies.  For the rest of the week on, the weather is looking fantastic with highs forecast to be from 79-82F.

Larry 

Is this REALLY January???

Forecast for New York for the next 4 days....

Today

Jan 3  Mostly Sunny

58°/  48°F

Thu

Jan 4  Mostly Sunny

60°/49°F

Fri

Jan 5  Rain

61°/56°F 70%  

Sat

Jan 6  Few Showers

64°/46°F 30%

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

We've had a blustery start to the year, but temperatures have stayed mild.  There is no change predicted in the long rain forecast, blowy with showers and above average temperatures, I'll settle for that.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

This winter has thus far been about average for us which I guess makes sense in that cali is cold, florida is hot, were in between and just about normal.....

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Cant complain about January here so far and the long term forecast looks great.   These are phenomenal temps for the dead of winter.

Thursday, Jan 4

Low: 66 °F

High: 83 °F

Friday, Jan 5

Low: 64 °F

High: 82 °F

Saturday, Jan 6

Low: 62 °F

High: 80 °F

Sunday, Jan 7

High: 81 °F

Monday, Jan 8

Low: 60 °F

High: 77 °F

Tuesday, Jan 9

Low: 58 °F

High: 76 °F

Wednesday, Jan 10

High: 75 °F

Thursday, Jan 11

High: 78 °F

Friday, Jan 12

Low: 61 °F

Saturday, Jan 13

Sunday, Jan 14

Monday, Jan 15

Tuesday, Jan 16

Wednesday, Jan 17

Once we get past about Jan 20th, the odds of a bad cold snap drop off.

Larry 

Been about average around here, not really above average like FL.  Temps mainly in the 60s, some 70s.  Still no real cold weather yet this year to speak of.  If we don't get any more cold (I'm sure we will eventually) we will have had basically a zone 10 winter.

Don't forget, after mid Jan the average temps start to go up!!!  Just a few more days and those temps start to rise (average wise).

Don't forget, after mid Jan the average temps start to go up!!!  Just a few more days and those temps start to rise (average wise).

yeah, that's very true, Jim... but, unfortunately, around here, even though the temps go up, the storms start to come. We've traditionally had our worst weather in February :(

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 03 2007,15:37)

yeah, that's very true, Jim... but, unfortunately, around here, even though the temps go up, the storms start to come. We've traditionally had our worst weather in February :(

I know.  We got our worst cold snap (if you want to call 24F a bad cold snap) in Feb last year.  I'm under no illusions that the cold is anywhere near over.  I bet we will have one good cold snap in Feb/early Mar probably, before it really starts to stay warm.

Totally agree with the reality that winter is by no means over in early January  :laugh:   March was the coldest month/record-breaking in 2006. That was a very unwelcome record for Cali gardeners who experienced hail.  Notice how winter has dealt Denver/upper Midwest a hard hand lately?   :o  

Check out this NWS data of daily averages :

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox/climate/data/daily_jan.htm

California winter : BORING  :o   Maybe some day it will rain  :(

Perhaps change in the pattern for rainfall next week per current model agreement. ENSO seems to be strengthening   :P

LA : 74/56

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

We can't really rest until April... so, just be prepared everyone for these next three months.... I always joke that I'd love to eliminate Jan/Feb/Mar from the calendar....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Also i agree ... last winter we have also the coldest tempeture's in the end of Februari en the first day's of March ...

But when May was on the calender the tempetures go up en don't have cool down last year ... :)

Robbin

Southwest

Low 80F's here everyday. Feels like April. maybe May weather. Just love it for dem der palms! :P

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

How duff, our average temperatures don't even start to rise until the 1st of March.  On the plus side at least the average doesn't go down any further.  The average daily temperature is exactly the same from 30th December through to 28th/29th February, 8°C/46°F day, 1°C/34°F night, unfortunately we are still annoyingly close to the beginning of that date range.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Hi,

Also today is very mild, highest tempeture so far was 11,5C/52,7F ... also a very mild night is coming.

Here is my weather forecast for the next couple of day's ...

Normal average

Day: 5C/41F

Night: 0C/32F

The forecast

Thursday 04-01

Day: 11C/51.8F

Night: 9C/48.2F

Fryday 05-01

Night: 8C/46.4F

Saturday 06-01

Day: 9C/48.2F

Night: 8C/46.4F

Sunday 07-01

Day: 8C/46.4F

Night: 4C/39.2F

Monday 08-01

Night: 7C/44.6F

Tuesday 09-01

Day: 15C/59F

Night: 10C/50F

Oke this mild, this almost look the australian winter weather ?

Southwest

(Neofolis @ Jan. 04 2007,08:56)

How duff, our average temperatures don't even start to rise until the 1st of March.  On the plus side at least the average doesn't go down any further.  The average daily temperature is exactly the same from 30th December through to 28th/29th February, 8°C/46°F day, 1°C/34°F night, unfortunately we are still annoyingly close to the beginning of that date range.

Really, our averages bottom out at 62/39F for only a short time, and then start to rapidly rise in late Jan/Feb.  By Late Feb we're back in the low 70s for daily average highs.  Upper 70s for March.  The palms start to resume growth, and trees that lost thier leaves start leaving out in late Feb or the first of March usually.

By the way, what does "duff" mean.  That must be a British word.

Low 80F's here everyday. Feels like April. maybe May weather. Just love it for dem der palms!  

Jeff

Don't rub it in, Jeff..... You're making me homesick.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Every day this week has been above 30C/86F and up to 35C/95F with nights dropping only to 20C/68F.  Typical temperatures for this time of year would be max. 25C/77F and min. 15C/59F.  Since Christmas we've only had a few cool days, and they were all during the Ashes Boxing day cricket test, the time we normally don't want rain.  Cool weather and rain were welcome however, since in 2006 we only got 400mm of rain compared to our average of 600mm (Australia won the test anyway mainly because England are really bad).

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

(tim_brissy_13 @ Jan. 04 2007,18:14)

Every day this week has been above 30C/86F and up to 35C/95F with nights dropping only to 20C/68F.  Typical temperatures for this time of year would be max. 25C/77F and min. 15C/59F.  Since Christmas we've only had a few cool days, and they were all during the Ashes Boxing day cricket test, the time we normally don't want rain.  Cool weather and rain were welcome however, since in 2006 we only got 400mm of rain compared to our average of 600mm (Australia won the test anyway mainly because England are really bad).

Tim

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia appears similar to California except rain patterns.  Summers are especially dry in mediterranean climates like Perth.

Hopefully your drought will end as ours begins  :(  

Another cold front washing out over SoCal w/ drizzle  :o

LA : 66/52

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Very warm morning again for January. 70.7F at 6:47AM and 87% humidity.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Oke the weather in Europa is totally confused ... this card show us tempetures tot 19 Januari that's staying very mild !! If we are in the end of january the winter is almost over :D! Some places of russia are next week 8-10C/ 46-50F warmer then normal ... It looks like global warming and changing the climate goes really fast in Europa ... Or maybe it's for a couple years? We don't know, but for now, i know i don't need too worry about the palms here :)

221200744660.png

Southwest