IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea rivularis or glauca

John Case

I need a little help in IDing my newly purchased "Majesty"palm.

How do I tell the difference between rivularis and glauca?

Thanks,

John Case

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

If the leaflets are glaucous then its a glauca ;)  How about a pic?

Karel Castro

Burbank, CA (San Fernando Valley)

A proud owner of many potted palms :)

Does it have a trunk? Then it is rivularis. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Rivularis are water-hungry, fat palms.

Glaucas are much skinnier, with little white hairs on the reverses of their leaves.

Rivs are fast, glaucs are slower, though, in the right place, not that slow . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Dec. 31 2006,21:58)

Glaucas are much skinnier, with little white hairs on the reverses of their leaves.

Rivs are fast, glaucs are slower, though, in the right place, not that slow . . .

dave

Thanks to all.

Based on your input it is a rivularis.

I was hoping for a glauca, but ce la vie.....I have a spot for it just above my inground spa.....

Thanks again.

John Case

Brentwood CA

I got in on this a little late, but I can't resist (am a ravenea-obsessive).

R. rivularis has a characteristic mid-point "twist" to the frond.  Also, the leaflets are a teeny bit "stiffer" and pretty much straight out from the rachis giving a more upright appearance.   The glauca has leaflets that are a bit pendulous - they're quite narrow and are more widely spaced, a very graceful effect.

Someone indicated that if it has a trunk, it's a riv.  Glauca also develops a trunk, but it's much thinner.  One thing I've noticed in mine is, in nearly full sun, the glauca is a deeper green, whereas the rivularis is medium green.  Rivs will have a deep green in shade.  Rivs like much more water than glaucas, which are drought tolerant.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add:  don't plant a rivularis right next to walls - when those trunks thicken up, they can cause damage.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Jan. 01 2007,18:38)

Someone indicated that if it has a trunk, it's a riv.  Glauca also develops a trunk, but it's much thinner.  

My comment was 'tongue in cheek'. I know they develop trunks. But here is SoCal there are few specimens with any trunk at all. If you find one, it will not be cheap.

I think we all knew it was a Rivularis when we read his post.  :D

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(bepah @ Jan. 01 2007,21:14)

dave

Thanks to all.

I was hoping for a glauca, but ce la vie.....I have a spot for it just above my inground spa.....

Thanks again.

Hmm.

It really is important to know for sure.

How about a picture?

Send me a PM and I can show you how.

If you got the palm from an ordinary store, I can't imagine it being anything except a rivularis.

Hmm.

Just outta curiosity, where are you?

Spyglass Drive sounds so totally Corona Del Mar . . . .(California)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(LJG @ Jan. 01 2007,23:14)

My comment was 'tongue in cheek'. I know they develop trunks. But here is SoCal there are few specimens with any trunk at all. If you find one, it will not be cheap.

Sorry, it went right over my head :D

Yeah, the trunking ones are much more expensive.  And aound here, it's nice to see that some are beginning to trunk.  There are a few that have gotten nice and big.  I really like seeing how many are being planted out, I think they're an excellent palm for our area.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 01 2007,23:59)

(bepah @ Jan. 01 2007,21:14)

dave

Thanks to all.

Thanks again.

Hmm.

It really is important to know for sure.

How about a picture?

Send me a PM and I can show you how.

If you got the palm from an ordinary store, I can't imagine it being anything except a rivularis.

Hmm.

Just outta curiosity, where are you?

Spyglass Drive sounds so totally Corona Del Mar . . . .(California)

dave

Dave,

I am in Brentwood CA........Northern California

9b and freezing

John Case

John Case

Brentwood CA