BS Man about Palms

The New Caledonia collection...

BS Man about Palms

I forgot to add that after a year of waiting/requesting/hunting I was very lucky to get one of these too.

post-27-0-24920100-1346000306_thumb.jpg

Clinosperma bracteale

BS Man about Palms

But I went out to look where I keep these to a bad news/good news thing.. :(:)

I had got these in the shipment too...

post-27-0-68979600-1346002489_thumb.jpg

NOW, they are .. "a spike, and GONE"! :angry:

Something thought those leaves were delicious and ate them up..

BUT did not eat the others in the tray.. tanga, humboltiana, etc. (knock on my wood head)

So I made a slight relocation i hope no more nibblin...

BS Man about Palms

Thought I should post that I planted a coastal form of Chambeyronia lepidota.. heres hoping it does well!

post-27-0-87343200-1350859534_thumb.jpg

If its like the others I've seen around here, a mere 10 more years it should be 2 feet tall! :D

Pedro 65

Thought I should post that I planted a coastal form of Chambeyronia lepidota.. heres hoping it does well!

post-27-0-87343200-1350859534_thumb.jpg

If its like the others I've seen around here, a mere 10 more years it should be 2 feet tall! :D

Hi Bill,Best place for N Cal palm seedlings is certainly inground , up top doesnt seem much is going on but down below the roots are hard at it , setting up for a bright , cheery future :) Best of luck with ALL your new plantings Bill, hows the Clinosperma you posted a few months ago going? is it inground yet?

The following pics are 2 of Cham lepidota, ( 2 of 3 inground lepidota seedlings from Tyrone and Teresa (Utopia) a small Basselinia Moorei that germinated 12 mths ago ( it will go inground in Dec) and a close up view of Cyphokentia macro which is really on its way now and loving the daily warm temps. Last pic is of Campecarpus f which also is on the move. Pete :)

post-5709-0-59001300-1350888200_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-02360100-1350888248_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-19057900-1350888408_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-78539600-1350888561_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-09343600-1350888770_thumb.jp

richnorm

lepidota coastal form?! We really should try to stick to "mid" (400-800m) and "high" (900-1500m)! Here's a pic of the class of 2010 to show relative growth rates in the same conditions. front to back, lepidota high, lepidota mid, houailou, watermelon (from habitat with small seed), hookeri.

post-264-0-00142300-1350934807_thumb.jpg

BS Man about Palms

SWEET Rich!

And I'm sure you figured out coastal is a "mid"... Hmmmm maybe I will be retired when they start to flower... :D

LJG

Nice job Pete on the Moorei. I have found it to be the most difficult of the larger Basselinia's to grow and the slowest. I am down to three plants with one in the ground.

Pedro 65

Nice job Pete on the Moorei. I have found it to be the most difficult of the larger Basselinia's to grow and the slowest. I am down to three plants with one in the ground.

I will be looking after this Moorei Len as its the only 1 I have :) , its slow but very steady, will be even better inground.

Rich, the best place for all yours are certainly inground where they can "get to work" :)

richnorm

Too risky just yet Pete as I'm building steps/boardwalk and fighting bamboo in the planting area. Going to be a mass planting of all the Chambey. species/varieties. Should look great in a few decades.

BS Man about Palms

So... added "the other" C.lepidota into the ground yesterday... (take my word for it, its in a 5 gal pot "surround", with no bottom to it and wire cage at the bottom)

post-27-0-99509600-1355678318_thumb.jpg

Its in a resting place where i "did" have a Basselinia tomentosa.... but there are SEVERAL of THOSE carcass' around.. :(

for size, its slightly smaller than the B. pancheri when I planted it out... maybe 2/3 as big.. But bigger than the mid alt lepidota and cerifera :)

post-27-0-69247300-1355678385_thumb.jpg

Tassie_Troy1971

Dang , :mrlooney: i am going to be extra careful pulling out all those weeds now Bill !

BS Man about Palms

Yeah troy... I may need to put a flashing light and razor wire around some of these slow, rare New Cal palms!.... I'm not even sure of who else has one of this type Lepidota in the ground! B)

BS Man about Palms

So, planted 2 more New Cal palms a week or so ago.. maybe 3 weeks?

post-27-0-42271800-1374947619_thumb.jpg

A Burretiokentia viellardii

And a little tiny Clinosperma bracteale

post-27-0-20411600-1374947762_thumb.jpg

Guardedly hopeful about both.

BS Man about Palms

And I see I forgot to add my Chambeyronia sp. hookeri finally in the ground about 6 months now.

post-27-0-19777300-1374949162_thumb.jpg

KennyRE317

Just want to say that's an amazing collection. I'm marking this thread for future reference

Moose

Bill - It must have taken some time locating and acquiring all these New Caledonian species.

post-1729-0-47741600-1375018024.jpg

By the way, I got one of these for your Birthday.

Sorry, Jeff Searle contacted me and said you already had one.

Happy Birthday Bill :D

BS Man about Palms

Weeellll... the bracteale is already done for.. :(

BUT, I decided to plant another cool one about where it was..

Introducing my Basselinia faveri IN DA GROUND. :)

post-27-0-94299300-1376249587_thumb.jpg post-27-0-86079700-1376249644_thumb.jpg

BS Man about Palms

And in a burst of enthusiasm... I went back over near my recently planted kentiopsis piersoniorum and planted a Burretiokentia grandiflora.

Tassie_Troy1971

Burretiokentia grandiflora. thats an uncomon one for sure . I remember Jeff Brussue telling me that his died from unknow reasons ?

LJG

Burretiokentia grandiflora. thats an uncomon one for sure . I remember Jeff Brussue telling me that his died from unknow reasons ?

I have had a few do the same. Certainly the toughest Burretiokentia to grow for us here in SoCal.

BS Man about Palms

Well, I figured its chances were better in the ground than in a pot (I hope) With the exception of Basselinia tomentosa, it seems if I plant a healthy new Cal palm it lives.... oops.. except for Kentiopsis piersoniorums too.. still trying to find the happy medium there. I think the ones that died were getting to much shade and water.

Cedric

I love all the New Caledonian stuff, there is something Dypsis about all these seedlings must be the island genes.

comic097

Bump...

What a thread, AMAZING !!! so many great newcal palms out there, thought I would add my 2 little basselinia into the mix, looking forward to seeing more updates on this thread in years to come.

basselinia velutina and favieri

post-7381-0-23352600-1434273653_thumb.jp

Paul

• Upvote 1

Sabal Steve

Hey Bill,

Do you have any thoughts regarding culture here for C. Alba?

LilikoiLee

Your collection is fantastic and I am thrilled you shared it. I am in love with every single NC palm and visiting there is near the top of my palm wish list.

Lee

BS Man about Palms

Just brought home a few more "retries" today as a matter of fact.. :) Thanks for the kind words folks!

Steve, the alba is turning out to be a fairly rugged palm, but slow. I would treat similar to an Acktiniokentia divarticata. (More sun on the coastal, partial shade inland)

trioderob

BS-

how is the Cyphosperma balansae - any updated photos ?????

Sabal Steve

Just brought home a few more "retries" today as a matter of fact.. :) Thanks for the kind words folks!

Steve, the alba is turning out to be a fairly rugged palm, but slow. I would treat similar to an Acktiniokentia divarticata. (More sun on the coastal, partial shade inland)

Thanks for the advice Bill. I have a small one gallon seedling. Perhaps when it fills the container out I will plant it. Perhaps I will plant it next to my A. divaricata:)

BS Man about Palms

Bump for me to update some soon..

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

Some updates..

Sadly, my large K. piersoniorum was killed by a freak winter storm that brought 65-70 mph winds right at it. I think it twisted and broke something inside and the fungus got in right away..  :rant: :crying: :sick:

Now I have a Psuedophoenix eckmanii in its place. Its pushed about 1/16 to 1/8 ".. :interesting:

The Cyphophoenix (Moratia) cerifera

20160529_111931.thumb.jpg.388e47e36ffbe2

The lowland variety of Chambeyronia lepidota

20160529_111917.thumb.jpg.e50f6806254c1f

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

And on other Chamberonia fronts... the C. houliou is trunking nicely now.. This thing grows like a freight train year round..

20160529_111958.thumb.jpg.eb6558e0b38ccb

A similar trunk, but a VERY different leaf on this Chambeyronia sp. hookeri

20160526_095047.thumb.jpg.566c5f2429119c

• Upvote 2

BS Man about Palms

Switching it up, the trunkal area on said C. hookeri ..

20160528_085826.thumb.jpg.23b22647095594

And you can see the top of the C. houliou to the far left of this pic..

20160512_092050.thumb.jpg.48e4c195ef2c5c

You can also see the larger Chambeyronia macrocarpa behind in this pic too.

• Upvote 2

BS Man about Palms

Said standard Chambeyronia is showing a little bit of the watermelon style.. :)

20160529_111940.thumb.jpg.dc25f5abbbd30b

And lastly, the other wee Chambeyronia lepidota highland version?

20160529_112112.thumb.jpg.8ed5d2a62a6996

more pix later..

• Upvote 2

BS Man about Palms

Lets move to the remaining Basselinia's..

My larger B. pancheri carked for some unexplained reason. Got hit a bit when the mass weeding was done last year and never seemed to shake it off. Got this seedling last year and decided to plant it after it barely survived winter in a liner. Its back to growing again. I planted it near where the old one was..

20160529_111830.thumb.jpg.e4ac476260cc29

The B. eriostachys/gracilis etc. Continues to grow and be very happy..

20160529_112217.thumb.jpg.cd51909a757fde

Sorry for the Kentiopsis magnifica photobombing in the background.. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

The Basselinia tomentosa is so far the hardest of the New Cal Palms to grow... but B. moorei is only slightly harder to kill than the "winter death" tomentosa.. Actually I may amend that.. I have several tomentosa that get to a decent 1 to 2 gal size, then die  it seems when you turn your back.. on the other hand, I have yet to see a moorei larger than 3-4" tall...

The Basselinia glabrata, ex Alloschmidia may sit in the top 5, or for sure top 10 easiest to grow New Caledonia palms.. mine seems pretty happy.

20160529_112038.thumb.jpg.9797ded70229fc

The Basselinia faveri met its demise..  but I kept a Basselinia in there with this B. humboldtiana in its stead. It seems to be doing well. It overwintered in that spot.

20160529_133036.thumb.jpg.c65cdec12d505e

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

My Cyphophoenix elegans is really happy and fairly big. It would look larger except for the Tri-bear hybrid monster that dwarfs it!

20160529_112102.thumb.jpg.632fb4e5370702

Yes, you can see where I have not got to the weeds... but hey, much better than it has been. B)

THe Cyphophoenix nucele has been an order of magnitude slower to grow. I have seen this to be true, but occasionally some people have the opposite results and have the elegans slow and the nucele the fast one.. Not sure why.

20160529_133112.thumb.jpg.51354dfd6a52b9

BS Man about Palms
3 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

OOPS!  

That should be CyphoKENTIA cerifera..... and the MID altitude lepidota instead of lowland... Sorry.

quaman58

I've always enjoyed this thread Bill. Have you tried the Clinosperma bracteale again? Can't find too much info about this one in our area. Your eriostachys looks absolutely great.

• Upvote 1

Pedro 65

Great update Bill, congrats on finally getting a cerifera, great size too, you have plenty of Basselinia's, , your Humbolt  looks darn super healthy :wub:, wish I had1 or 5,   my 1 and only Moorei passed on quickly after months of rainfall, it was just too wet, or truthfully planted in the wrong position..

Sorry to hear about your Pancherii. it was look'n great guns.

I  will post some pics when my other stuff is done n dusted and I can get a good Apple :)

Your gardens lookn great, and very weed free, well done.

Pete  :)

• Upvote 1

Darold Petty

Bill, how are you growing the B. moorei ?  Indoors or out ?  I have  killed several from Jeff's first release indoors in my greenhouse.  Now I am thinking of trying a seedling directly in the ground.  Is it Aaron Bagley who has had good results with direct planting of NC species ?  Thanks for any info !

• Upvote 1