IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The New Caledonia collection...

BS Man about Palms

Daryl, I'd even say their speed starts to double at the 3 foot tall range! (Its the 6-10 years they take to get there!!! ) :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 3 weeks later...

I recently spoke to Jeff Marcus and he said his Kentiopsis piersoniorum just flowered for the first time. We'll all have one before to long.

AHHHHHHHH Can Bill, Bo,Charlie Colin, Dean, Tim or Anyone on close by get a pic of this moment at Jeffs PLEASE :drool: Pete

Ask and you shall receive.

In the interest of accuracy - after some analysis of the flowers by someone in the know, it appears as if Jeff's Kentiopsis is not piersoniorum, but instead is K. pyriformis.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I recently spoke to Jeff Marcus and he said his Kentiopsis piersoniorum just flowered for the first time. We'll all have one before to long.

AHHHHHHHH Can Bill, Bo,Charlie Colin, Dean, Tim or Anyone on close by get a pic of this moment at Jeffs PLEASE :drool: Pete

In the interest of accuracy - after some analysis of the flowers by someone in the know, it appears as if Jeff's Kentiopsis is not piersoniorum, but instead is K. pyriformis.

When I heard this last week just for fun I picked up the new cal book and the key. If you look at the latest picture of Jeff's plant you can count far too many leaflets then Piersoniorum keys out with. It is funny that even the simple things in plain sight can be missed with plants until a pro points out the facts firsts.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

And I thought the drastic differences were from the growing condition differences. Never thought to key it out.

Thanx Dean

I guess those seeds got cheap again? haha

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for the update Dean..Can i please request a pic of Jeffs largest Piersoniorum when you are there next.Being such a knockout palm but even slow in Thailand, would LOVE to see a pic of a Beauty in Hawaii. Very Much appreciated Pete.

I'll add my little contribution to this thread. Basselinia humboldtiana. I have not had good luck with seedlings so I planted this straight into the ground. So far so good. It was planted at the end of may and the spear has pushed about 1 1/2''. Any one else growing this palm?IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Aaron, I am too scared to plant mine I got in May too. I may roll the dice and try to get it to live till next spring and then plant out.

Do you have rabbits? I planted three Tomentosa's out last year that size. Rabbits munched two before I could cage the last one. It made it through winter and is pushing a new leaf right now. SLOWWWWWWWLLYYYY.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I don't have any rabitts but skunks dig in my yard all the time. It is next to a rock and behind a brom so hopefully they leave it alone. Two plants wont be anything difinitive but Well have to compare notes next spring and see if they are better off in the ground or in a greenhouse.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Jeff likes you more. Yours is bigger so you have a head start :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len. There is an easy solution for rabbits it's called a bird dog. Arron don't get to excited yet you have to get BSMan to come and make sure it passes the 3" rule. Still not sure what that means. But hey it's a "BSMan" thing. Sure is a great looking plant.

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

The 3" rule only applies to transplants... :lol:

Well, as they say, try, try again.........

post-27-097970400 1309026854_thumb.jpg

Last of the original stock of Basselinia tomentosa. trying a different location, with sun, but shade cloth, etc mixing it up a bit...

My bigger dumasii is on site now :)

post-27-091554800 1309027015_thumb.jpg

And an update on the K. magnfica opening...

post-27-027832400 1309027373_thumb.jpg

Then my K. piersoniorum SLOWLY opening and growing..

post-27-023856200 1309027412_thumb.jpg

Looking good Bill ! In 10 year a visit to your place will be like a cheap trip to New Caledonia :lol: !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I'm back thinking New Caledonian again, thanks to this thread, see, one can influence from abroad.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's some photos of a nice Basselinia gracilis. This form is a highland form which has more leathery leaves and a large growth habit, along with almost black colouration.

This character in the black T-Shirt just had to touch it! Onya Craig!

post-42-022989000 1309074763_thumb.jpg

Soon joined by the green twins...

post-42-091645900 1309074746_thumb.jpg

Some closer shots...

post-42-025554500 1309074750_thumb.jpg

post-42-022698600 1309074753_thumb.jpg

post-42-028522400 1309074756_thumb.jpg

post-42-096763000 1309074758_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Great piccy additions!

Thanx :)

Well, heres the final resting spot ( I hope growing spot!) for the tomentosa! More sun, raised higher.

post-27-050287900 1309448777_thumb.jpg

I cut the bottom of the pot, put wire to protect from gophers underneath, mulch and green sand at the bottom and some top dressed.. I'm hoping more sun and the sides of the pot keep it warmer .

post-27-057207000 1309448838_thumb.jpg

touch wood!

Bill it's knock on wood,people are going to get the wrong idea if you keep telling them to touch wood.

San Marcos CA

Its the "english" part of me coming thru... :)

Bill,Good luck with the tomentosa mate....If anyone deserves to be rewarded with beautiful healthy rare specimens,its you...your optimisim hard work and care really shows..never say die Craig. :)

• Like 1

Hard to see here, but it looks like my little Cyphokentia cerifera's next leaf will be Pinnate! hooray!

post-27-093557200 1310051170_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time to update the thread with some additions...

post-27-039091100 1313548037_thumb.jpg

Just managed to get a Basselinia humboldtiana and a Clinosperma lanuginosa...

And some of you may have seen I increased my Kentiopsis piersoniorum collection 1 fold.. :)

post-27-005052600 1313548215_thumb.jpg

My Cyphokentia cerifera DID push a pinnate leaf! :)

post-27-053081900 1313548465_thumb.jpg

I am down to one Basselinia faveri... :( the other dried out... and I missed it.. :(

PETE should have an addition here... wink, wink Pete!

Anyone else have stuff to add? :unsure:

Here is a good example of the Chambeyronia lepidota both highland and lowland form? One may prove to be something different.. :huh:

post-27-012125300 1313550296_thumb.jpg

Also found a Burretiokentia grandiflora...

post-27-019250300 1313550333_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the night shots..

I am down to one Basselinia faveri... :( the other dried out... and I missed it.. :(

Cheers Bill, I will add the pics tonight of our discovery. All Best Pete

post-5709-034478700 1313561947_thumb.jpgBasselinia Velutina post-5709-029918100 1313561953_thumb.jpg Bass Velutina

post-5709-094821700 1313561965_thumb.jpg Clinosperma Bractealepost-5709-092492300 1313561959_thumb.jpg Clin Brac showing leaves in ranks

post-5709-009645000 1313561973_thumb.jpg Campecarpus Fulcitus starting to really move finally.

• Upvote 1

Excellent additions Pete!

Thanx!

:D

I read somewhere that some of the soils from Madagascar are rich in copper and other elements. I gave my B.tomentosda seedlings a good amount of ´´copper sulfate´´and they are growing fine.

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

My seedlings on the ground ,below heavy canopy.Frost of -3°C about a month ago. Some Heliconias species that I was trying outside at the same place where totally defoliated.

Soil in the pots is the clayish loam from the araucaria forest, acid and far from well draining....

post-465-026426800 1313713987_thumb.jpg

post-465-008939900 1313714086_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Thanks!

The seedlings resembles somewhat a C.lepidotas,but the seeds are tiny compared to a Chambeyronia.

• 6 months later...

What an array of spectacular palms. :wub:

BS Man about Palms may have the largest private collection of New Caledonia palms on the USA mainland.:drool:

Bill - any update on your collection? What have you learned? You may be the point guy for many of these species here on the mainland. :winkie:

I gotta admit to being a bit envious ... :blush:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 4 weeks later...

Ok.. Some updates for Ron.. :D

You'll find a movie of the red maggie elsewhere..

Anyway, saw my K magnifica going red again.. :)

post-27-083437400 1333239795_thumb.jpg post-27-063835100 1333239838_thumb.jpg

The trunkal area.. post-27-007739100 1333239913_thumb.jpg

And the Kentiopsis pyriformis is nice.

post-27-009584400 1333239893_thumb.jpg

Here is my Bassilinea gracilis/erostachys. post-27-040416600 1333240214_thumb.jpg

post-27-056664400 1333240238_thumb.jpg The Bassilinea pancheri is hanging tough.

Thats a 5 gal pot sitting to the left for a size comparison. :)

And the Chamby houaliou gets bigger each day.. :)post-27-069184800 1333240266_thumb.jpg No trunk yet though.

Magnifique magnifica there Bill..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Whoa Bill things are really starting to move:drool: the Chambeyronia houaliou is getting some real size to it ! you need to get all your newcal stuff into the ground !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 4 months later...

JUST got some additions!! :D

Basselinia moorei

post-27-0-86636500-1344103664_thumb.jpg

and Basselinia velutina

post-27-0-25839900-1344103692_thumb.jpg

little bitty dudes..

But VERY happy!!

I should try to post my elegans.. its as tall as I am now!

Boy Bill that Basselinia gracilis/erostachys is one tough little palm, it just keep powering on.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii