IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The New Caledonia collection...

BS Man about Palms

Thanks for the response guys.., looking forward to any pictures added or posted here.. Darold, first ones went inside.. then the second larger ones went in more or less an ideal spot outside where bright and humid. .. but I believe it was as the nights started to get cold. Aaron, did plant several quite small I think with mixed results..

Continuing on..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Continuing on with the Cyphophoenix,  here is my C. alba (ex Veillonia alba) that has done pretty well. The Jubea has shaded it out more than I thought it would and it was a borderline bare root planting as I think I noted earlier in this thread.

20160529_162909.thumb.jpg.08d34e4c107d53

My other Clinosperma bracteale did not make it, but was able to get another and maybe get larger before trying again... This one has pushed the pinnate leaf and started a new spear since getting last year.

20160529_132936.thumb.jpg.bb301741e19032

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Moving on to the Kentiopsis... I feel I should post a Memoriam, for the people that missed this is/was my favorite palm and It looked like this in late December last year..  Kentiopsis piersoniorum..

20151220_114336_resized.thumb.jpg.9c6c63

Then a freak storm in early February with 65-70 mph winds right at it I think twisted and broke it inside. It was some time later that I realized that the leaf to the right in the below pic was the one in the center top above but pic was taken from the same location.. You could rotate the crown 90 degrees freely..

20160330_173033_resized.thumb.jpg.8bf782

The above was taken in April before I got tired of looking at it and pulled it out. I hope no one was eating..:sick: :badday::rant: :violin:  I still love these palms and if someone knows of one available, I'll gladly try again..

• Upvote 1

Random happy shot of the Actinokentia divaricata with its red leaf.. Yay! back to happy!

20160223_152838_resized.thumb.jpg.6b1a81

Bonus night time shot! B)

20160218_182220_resized.thumb.jpg.eb3c53

• Upvote 2

Continuing with the Kentiopsis, here is the first one I planted. Primarily due to guilt I used this one. I had potted it up to a 15 gal a few years before, mostly using sand and its never been a rocket at all. Its trying to trunk, but I don't want to pull those leaf bases yet. I think it's too shaded by the Jubea at this point. 

Kentiopsis oliviformis

20160529_134430.thumb.jpg.c3a43cec5c2f07

Then, just to the right is the first (and only palm I have a duplicate planting of in my yard, they're that cool) Kentiopsis pyriformis. When this thing survived 28F in my back yard in 2007 in my back yard in a 1 gal pot, I knew it was a winner! People often mix up the piersoniorum and this, but this palm is 5 times easier to grow and 10 times easier to find!

20160529_111905.thumb.jpg.852c78bcc80a5f

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great update. I always read this post every few months. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Now onto the other Kentiopsis gem, the K. magnifica. When I planted it years ago it got 1/2 day coastal sun from 5 gal size and was quite happy about it. Then the Kentia and the Jubea joined hands/fronds and started depriving this guy of light.. couple that with gophers doing a near miss and causing the palm to fall/lean to the south looking for sun. Its put on a cool curve, but you have to get in the middle of all to see it! The top of the fronds are probably 12-14 feet.

20160524_164722.thumb.jpg.1393ccf331bb48

20160524_165459.thumb.jpg.a49711147b989d

20160524_165524.thumb.jpg.18a5ec9c875352

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Now onto the other Kentiopsis gem, the K. magnifica. When I planted it years ago it got 1/2 day coastal sun from 5 gal size and was quite happy about it. Then the Kentia and the Jubea joined hands/fronds and started depriving this guy of light.. couple that with gophers doing a near miss and causing the palm to fall/lean to the south looking for sun. Its put on a cool curve, but you have to get in the middle of all to see it! The top of the fronds are probably 12-14 feet.

20160524_164722.thumb.jpg.1393ccf331bb48

20160524_165459.thumb.jpg.a49711147b989d

20160524_165524.thumb.jpg.18a5ec9c875352

that's sexy right there Bill!!!

Git-er-donnnnnne!

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I agree with Len, great to see the progress of this New Cal stuff. Good on you guys!! 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks folks.. Its a handy reference, that was my idea originally. :D

Moving over to the Burretiokentia's, the B. vieillardii has done quite well.. another one box planted and happy.. The box will rot away soon enough. At least if I can keep the skunks and raccoons from digging above, and the gophers from below..

20160529_111800.thumb.jpg.bd1b83992631e3

The B. grandiflora I had before did not make it.. so I got another that is a bit bigger than it was and I just decided to pot up as I probably don't have a good place to plant it yet.

20160529_133350.thumb.jpg.4b663f12e8c902 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This Burretiokentia dumasii was kept alive by Shon for a while and I appreciate it! Hope to plant soon enough.

20160530_113846.thumb.jpg.30f732e4e8df17

I currently don't have any other Burretiokentia's because they are not hard to find if you look hard enough. However, the B. hapala seems a bit more difficult to locate these days.

Sadly, this is currently the only Cyphosperma I have, a C. balansae. Although I guess the others are not from New Caledonia, I would still like to get those eventually. I miss my C. tanga. It was doing very well.

20160529_111807.thumb.jpg.e799a8eadc9764

• Upvote 2

Looking good there, BS!

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

What happened to your C. tanga Bill?

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Bret, the easiest thing to say is I had a torrid romance for a few months a few years ago that took my focus off the small guys for too long. It was at the same time the Voles came to town.. I left some of the small 4' and teeny 1 gals on their own for too long.. :blush:

Sorry for that Bill. But that's about the most believable excuse I've yet heard. :) The B. dumasii should be a stellar grower for you. 

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

How fast do Cyphophoenix grow? Seems like C. elegans might do well here, but it would be nice if it grows at a reasonable pace.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

3 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

How fast do Cyphophoenix grow? Seems like C. elegans might do well here, but it would be nice if it grows at a reasonable pace.

Definitely one of the faster New Cal palms. Easily as fast as a macrocarpa.. but won't get as big.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Sorry for that Bill. But that's about the most believable excuse I've yet heard. :) The B. dumasii should be a stellar grower for you. 

Yeah, if you look at the top of page 7, the bracteale there was the one that you can see dried out by the time I planted it in July 2013. That one didn't make it. The most recent one pictured was picked up just under a year ago.  

The dumasii should do great once I pick a spot.

Lots of great information Bill.

Thanks and the palms are looking good!

• 4 months later...
On 5/30/2016, 7:49:41, quaman58 said:

Random glitch from this site... cannot delete a "quote" if you accidently touch the button

Gonna try another Basselinia moorei... Thanks Darold for the opportunity!!  

20161024_155934.thumb.jpg.0b87bfa44f81ea

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Random glitch from this site... cannot delete a "quote" if you accidently touch the button

Click on the little cross-arrow symbol that pops up when you hover over the quote, then press Delete.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Almost 3 years since an update! I took several pics and plan to update soon... but here is the front yard as of last week..

65752019_446408752819191_7358063874731409408_n.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Thanks, that was my goal!

Love the New Caledonia palms!  That is by far the largest percentage of palms in my collection.  They tend to do well in my climate.  

Edited by joe_OC
  • Like 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

So, slow updates, tune back in often. If you read from the beginning, you will see most of these when they were planted and now.

The Chambeyronia houailou out front.

66033479_458276221624628_3739616694503473152_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The cyphosperma balansae planted a few years back.. probably a meter plus to tip of spear.

66138669_1040601902810214_5015320546619949056_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The Chambeyronia hookeri has done very well and has a stunning red leaf everytime.

65918057_489707411790506_6312196409957285888_n.jpg

• Like 5

The Actinokentia divartica is also out front next to the houailou and looks like it wants to start trunking soon.

65991030_2416498808415998_8609300715501780992_n.jpg

• Like 2

This Chambeyronia lepidota was planted as a small seedling years ago. It does not seem much larger..but first frond with 4 leaflets!

It sank a lot after planting and since my yard is mostly clay, I am never sure whether I am under watering or over watering... Some of these New Cals should be carefully grown in a pot until a healthy 2-3 gal before planted or it seems that just exist, but don't grow either.

I did recently find two more that are every bit as large that I'll show later.

66124377_692497257867373_5182754323326566400_n.jpg

4 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

This Chambeyronia lepidota was planted as a small seedling years ago. It does not seem much larger..but first frond with 4 leaflets!

It sank a lot after planting and since my yard is mostly clay, I am never sure whether I am under watering or over watering... Some of these New Cals should be carefully grown in a pot until a healthy 2-3 gal before planted or it seems that just exist, but don't grow either.

I did recently find two more that are every bit as large that I'll show later.

66124377_692497257867373_5182754323326566400_n.jpg

I'm experiencing the same with my D.plumosa which is planted (from seed) in the only portion of the garden constituted of clay soil. It germinated there two years ago, however, it hasn't grown.  I assume they don't like clay.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I usually deal pretty good with clay. Most of my smaller ones don't even have irrigation to them, the dampness of the mulch and the clays water retention provides enough moistureWith that in mind, unless I know it's an easy grow, I tend plant high and let the palm send its roots to the clay when ready. I have had a few small plants in an extremely light mix and once in the ground, it just sinks in. On this palm, I always try to pull the mulch back, the base is probably 2" below the rest of the mulch.. :( 

14 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

The Chambeyronia houailou out front.

66033479_458276221624628_3739616694503473152_n.jpg

My favorite of the bunch is your Chambeyronia houailou, although I may change my mind someday if the Cyphosperma balansae starts looking like Dean's in Hawaii :floor:  .  I laugh because I'm growing a balansae too, and it probably won't look like Dean's latest photos until my unborn grandchildren are my age.  I haven't looked through the thread recently but post Cyphophoenix nucele if you are growing one.  I know they can do well here after checking up recently on the one at Quail (now San Diego) Botanical Garden.  I'm finding nucele to be slow so am interested in how others are doing with it locally.  I'm sure they are speedier in some other climates.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 2 years later...

Tracy - I have a nucele and yes it is slow but a steady grower. 

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

8 hours ago, deezpalms said:

Tracy - I have a nucele and yes it is slow but a steady grower. 

Dave, how long have you been growing it now and share a photo?  Mine appears to be getting close to forming some trunk, but still not there yet (photo below).

On 7/5/2019 at 2:20 PM, Tracy said:

(Bill)  post Cyphophoenix nucele if you are growing one.  I know they can do well here after checking up recently on the one at Quail (now San Diego) Botanical Garden.  I'm finding nucele to be slow so am interested in how others are doing with it locally.

Bill, maybe with gas prices high you have decided to park your cars for a moment and play in your garden?  I'm trying to lure you back for a moment and ask not only about Cyphophoenix nucele, but request an update on ALL your New Caledonia palms.  Would love to see what your Chambeyronia houailou looks like these days, and the Cyphosperma balansae.  What about the Burretiokentia grandiflora that you added, is it persevering?

20220306-BH3I7056.jpg

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 3/25/2022 at 6:22 AM, Tracy said:

Dave, how long have you been growing it now and share a photo?  Mine appears to be getting close to forming some trunk, but still not there yet (photo below).

Bill, maybe with gas prices high you have decided to park your cars for a moment and play in your garden?  I'm trying to lure you back for a moment and ask not only about Cyphophoenix nucele, but request an update on ALL your New Caledonia palms.  Would love to see what your Chambeyronia houailou looks like these days, and the Cyphosperma balansae.  What about the Burretiokentia grandiflora that you added, is it persevering?

Well Tracy, you are almost going to get your wish... I am lucky enough to be able to retire by the end of the month... B) Soon after I have the goal of first selling our parents house.. then work and finish mine, do more yard work and more racing... in no particular order, except house sale being a priority.
I had thought about an update pic or pix recently and thought June is actually the best street pic time as the front is not in full shade then. Could update this then.. 
Sadly , the grandifloras do okay.. then not. Maybe a good sized one in the ground versus a pot will make the difference someday..

• Like 1

Bill, congratulations about your anticipated retirement !   :greenthumb:

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

Congratulations on your retirement buddy! Maybe then you’ll have sometime to check out my garden. 

• Like 1

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!