IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The New Caledonia collection...

BS Man about Palms

NICE Daryl!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Pete, Mike will be hitting you up for a visit for sure. :drool:

We wil make a day of it when it stops raining and i can tidy up

Pete

What an amazing collection . Whats your all time low up there being inland a little bit ?

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Pete

What an amazing collection . Whats your all time low up there being inland a little bit ?

Troy

Thank You Troy, I really wouldnt know what our all time low has been, but we are in the cool subtropics and it does get cold at night, most winter days here are pretty pleasant.July being the coldest month averages at night around 6 degrees C ( Not sure what that is in F for U.S. readers) and days average around 19 degrees Celcius...... What i can tell you is in late July 2007 a massive black frost did considerable damage here on the far north coast, including the coastal village of Byron bay (our closest Beach 65km by road or around 20km as the crow flies) We were totally unscathed, our good fortune is that all our property is undulating,and our heaviest plantings of Bamboo( half an acre ) then eucalypts and rainforest trees hug the western side of the gardens while the eastern side is open for the first rays of sun to penetrate the gardens. Also Troy on the eastern side are two dams ( combined surface approx 2500 sq mtrs ) which are spring fed and flow constantly. All this water also raises our humidity quite a bit. All the mentioned helps the cold air in winter to keep moving and not get trapped. Sorry if the answer is long, but if it helps us it can help others. I might send a pic of one dam spilling into the other after a heavy fall. Oh our average rainfall is around 2 meters, if its real wet 3 meters , and if its a drought 1meter. The back of our property adjoins our neighbours which is still heavily forested and adjoins Nightcap National Park which is where the highest rainfall in NSW is recorded. Cheers Troy and Happy Gardening to you. Pete

Troy heres a pic of one dam flowing into another after a good fall, and a small bamboo walkway over our little creek.Pete

post-5709-067157600 1304077803_thumb.jpg post-5709-085653600 1304077810_thumb.jpg

Pete

Troy

Thank You Troy, I really wouldnt know what our all time low has been, but we are in the cool subtropics and it does get cold at night, most winter days here are pretty pleasant.July being the coldest month averages at night around 6 degrees C ( Not sure what that is in F for U.S. readers) and days average around 19 degrees Celcius...... What i can tell you is in late July 2007 a massive black frost did considerable damage here on the far north coast, including the coastal village of Byron bay (our closest Beach 65km by road or around 20km as the crow flies) We were totally unscathed, our good fortune is that all our property is undulating,and our heaviest plantings of Bamboo( half an acre ) then eucalypts and rainforest trees hug the western side of the gardens while the eastern side is open for the first rays of sun to penetrate the gardens. Also Troy on the eastern side are two dams ( combined surface approx 2500 sq mtrs ) which are spring fed and flow constantly. All this water also raises our humidity quite a bit. All the mentioned helps the cold air in winter to keep moving and not get trapped. Sorry if the answer is long, but if it helps us it can help others. I might send a pic of one dam spilling into the other after a heavy fall. Oh our average rainfall is around 2 meters, if its real wet 3 meters , and if its a drought 1meter. The back of our property adjoins our neighbours which is still heavily forested and adjoins Nightcap National Park which is where the highest rainfall in NSW is recorded. Cheers Troy and Happy Gardening to you. Pete

Troy I forgot to add in all of the above, beacause of the cold air being able to keep flowing we dont get frost. Pete

Troy heres a pic of one dam flowing into another after a good fall, and a small bamboo walkway over our little creek.Pete

post-5709-067157600 1304077803_thumb.jpg post-5709-085653600 1304077810_thumb.jpg

Spectacular....thanks for posting...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here are a couple of updated photos of New Cal species from today.

Burretiokentia dumassii

post-907-067877100 1304140370_thumb.jpg

post-907-064706700 1304140605_thumb.jpg

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Kentiopsis pyriformis, I have two of these & I think a little more sun would have suited them better.

post-907-028437000 1304140859_thumb.jpg

post-907-068388300 1304141325_thumb.jpg

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

My largest Burretiokentia hapala starting to get a trunk.

post-907-060470100 1304141664_thumb.jpg

post-907-061053800 1304141784_thumb.jpg

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Looking good Matt!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Thanks Daryl

The little B dumassii is a really strong grower, cant wait to see it start forming a trunk.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Burretiokentia dumassii

Nice Growing Matt, we overprotected a lot of our NewCal palms, but i think its important for a lot of these to get some size,then give them more light,but not overdo it as our Basselinias with amazing colour (Red, Black,Orange etc) are in a lot of darkness.NewC Palms relish in our climate. Theres a lot of palms we cant grow, but cant have it all.... I Quite often remind myself "DONT DWELL OVER WHAT YOU DONT HAVE, AND LOOK AFTER WHAT YOU DO HAVE". Cheers Pete

• Upvote 1

Burretiokentia dumassii

Nice Growing Matt, we overprotected a lot of our NewCal palms, but i think its important for a lot of these to get some size,then give them more light,but not overdo it as our Basselinias with amazing colour (Red, Black,Orange etc) are in a lot of darkness.NewC Palms relish in our climate. Theres a lot of palms we cant grow, but cant have it all.... I Quite often remind myself "DONT DWELL OVER WHAT YOU DONT HAVE, AND LOOK AFTER WHAT YOU DO HAVE". Cheers Pete

Well said mate,BTW your property is just beautifull...Matt,i reckon that dumasii has almost doubled in size since you posted your last shot of it...or am i hallucinating brought about by an overdose of prime new caledonian eye candy :drool: Craig.

Thanks Graig & Pete

Graig, the B dumassii is growing quite quickly for a New Caledonian species.

I have few more additions to go into the garden in spring. 4 x Kentiopsis oliviformis, 3 x Burretiokentia hapala, 3 x Cyphophoenix elegans, 1 x Basselinia gracilis, 1 x Chambeyronia macrocarpa houailou & 1 x Basselinia glabrata.

That should fill up a spot or two.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Looking great Matt.I can feel a mini-ratpack trip south on a weekend coming up soon . :D All those in favour say i...cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

I'll get the camera out and post a few photos of my collection tomorrow...been a while...cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

No worries Mike, you & the boys are welcome anytime. But we better let the place dry out a bit or I will have to find a couple of hover crafts to get around.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

At least you don't have crocs where you are, Matt... I think you just give the boys a pair of gumboots each and send them on their way... :D

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Pete

Troy

Thanks for your detailed response . Sounds like a good climate to try a Hedyscepe with reasonably cool nights . All the way down here we have the long cool season but i have never been below 0c yet .

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

I'll get the camera out and post a few photos of my collection tomorrow...been a while...cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

About time Mike I've been going through withdrawls not seeing your garden. But Pete's has been a wonderful alternative as well as Daryl's.

San Marcos CA

YES! More pics please!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

YES! More pics please!!

Bill , Yes More New Cal pics needed and wanted, until more are posted these pics belong to this thread. Cyphokentia Macrostachya.

post-5709-034309300 1304229700_thumb.jpg

post-5709-034309300 1304229700_thumb.jpg

post-5709-095624700 1304229693_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Pete, I continue to be amazed at your stuff. I should just ask, do you have a Kentiopsis piersoniorum?

My favorite New cal palm...

Plus, can you give me the ages of some of those more unusual ones?

Pete, I continue to be amazed at your stuff. I should just ask, do you have a Kentiopsis piersoniorum?

No Bill, I have never seen it available, but i WANT one( or three)

No Bill, I have never seen it available, but i WANT one( or three)

The Above along with Campecarpus and Cyphokentia Cerifera have been inground from a very small tube for 16 years. The pictured Cypho is 3plus mtrs, Campecarpus has only 1 foot of trunk with last frond at 1.2 mtrs. Fastest of course is the Chambreyonias which our largest are now seeding , Cyphophoenix elegans now seeding at new spear height of 5mtrs. Cyphophoenix albas have been steady growers and Cyphosperma Balansae is 16 years inground but in too much shade which we have cut trees to allow more light and she is starting to move.I like to get silt from our creek and top dress them with that along with crushed fine rock and of course Nutricote Total.Pete

Looking great Matt.I can feel a mini-ratpack trip south on a weekend coming up soon . :D All those in favour say i...cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

i

Matt, the Burretiokentia hapala is grown to perfection.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Shon, as promised, here are some more new caledonians from my garden....enjoy!

Chambeyronia colour

post-414-013263300 1304337273_thumb.jpg

Moratia cerifera (cyphophoenix - call me old fashioned)

post-414-009007400 1304337277_thumb.jpg

Basselinia favieri

post-414-047982500 1304337286_thumb.jpg

Actinokentia divaricata

post-414-067811800 1304337293_thumb.jpg

Kentiopsis piersoniorum

post-414-062890400 1304337299_thumb.jpg

Chambeyronia lepidota

post-414-041665500 1304337304_thumb.jpg

Burretiokentia dumasii

post-414-031306100 1304337309_thumb.jpg

Basselinia velutina

post-414-012848000 1304338957_thumb.jpg

Cyphophoenix alba

post-414-050257500 1304338961_thumb.jpg

Kentiopsis magnifica

post-414-063316100 1304338965_thumb.jpg

Basselinia gracilis

post-414-014754700 1304338969_thumb.jpg

Cyphophoenix nucele

post-414-046466200 1304338973_thumb.jpg

Basselinia gracilis

post-414-066405800 1304338976_thumb.jpg

very impressive, the lot. :drool:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wow, what an awesome thread!!!

Great job w/ all the pictures! Love seeing them.

Bill - great to see so many of those rare gems getting into the ground. Nice work.

I think I need another tour of your place these days!

New Caledonia palms kick butt!

Now I need to have more than 4 species of them and certainly more than just one in the ground.

-j

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Thanks Len

Vince, the B hapala is 4 years in the ground out of a 30 litre bag so it was about hip height when it was planted. Now the leaves are well over my head.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Shon, as promised, here are some more new caledonians from my garden....enjoy!

Chambeyronia colour

post-414-013263300 1304337273_thumb.jpg

Moratia cerifera (cyphophoenix - call me old fashioned)

post-414-009007400 1304337277_thumb.jpg

Basselinia favieri

post-414-047982500 1304337286_thumb.jpg

Actinokentia divaricata

post-414-067811800 1304337293_thumb.jpg

Kentiopsis piersoniorum

post-414-062890400 1304337299_thumb.jpg

Chambeyronia lepidota

post-414-041665500 1304337304_thumb.jpg

Burretiokentia dumasii

post-414-031306100 1304337309_thumb.jpg

Whoa Mike - you blow me away ! awesome palms Chambeyronia Lepidota -is that the high altitude variety .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Ok here is my contribution to the new cal thread !

My Burettiokentia hapala in the ground for 2 yrs and has produced 3 fronds ! :mrlooney:

post-1252-053884500 1304417284_thumb.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks Troy,i'm not sure if the C.lepidota is the high altitude form as i bought it as a 8'(200mm) plant and not from seed, though it is very slowww in growth!...cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Ok here is my contribution to the new cal thread !

My Burettiokentia hapala in the ground for 2 yrs and has produced 3 fronds ! :mrlooney:

post-1252-053884500 1304417284_thumb.jpg

Troy,your Burettiokentia is just awe inspiring!That must be the most southerly hapala in Oz.Do you give it any protection over winter?I think its great that there are people out there who are willing test the boundries with climate as this is something we can all learn from.I have read somewhere that palms grown in new zealand are stouter in stature due to the cold,have you found if this is the case in tassie?Regards Craig.

Go Troy! That is an excellent effort!

Here's a couple more of my young ones...

Cyphophoenix elegans trying to flower

post-42-076902300 1304428214_thumb.jpg

Basselinia glabrata

post-42-085224900 1304428222_thumb.jpg

Kentiopsis piersoniorum

post-42-092647900 1304428218_thumb.jpg

My miserable Cyphokentia cerifera...please speed up!

post-42-002988200 1304428212_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!