IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The New Caledonia collection...

BS Man about Palms

Nice palms BS Man & for what its worth I like your shoes :mrlooney: .

I have a couple of New Cal natives that I thought needed posting

Kentiopsis pyriformis

post-907-015372200 1295848920_thumb.jpg

post-907-066336200 1295849099_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Not wishing to be a smart arse but isn't it B. eriostachys rather than eurostachys? Moratia got lumped into Cyphokentia.

I'm sure there might be a few errors on this thread, Thanks for any updated corrections.

Looking great Matt!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks Bill

Now for some little ones still in their pots

Chambeyronia sp houliou, Basselinia gracilis highland form?? & Basselinia glabrata.

post-907-022041600 1295851066_thumb.jpg

post-907-024973600 1295851329_thumb.jpg

post-907-060537100 1295851512_thumb.jpg

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Wonderful collection! I'm trying out a number of these and I love to see what they should look like when they grow a bit more, as well as what they might be in a couple of decades. Thanks so much for posting these.

Cindy Adair

Not wishing to be a smart arse but isn't it B. eriostachys rather than eurostachys? Moratia got lumped into Cyphokentia.

Richnorm, are you growing any New Cal palms up your way?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Ay everyone,

Okay Bill, if night photos are in, then here is my Basselinia gracilis - or is it a Eriostachys? Thanks for the New Cal thread, particularly the Cyphosperma balanse.

Love your work,

Craig :drool:

post-3749-014492500 1295867419_thumb.jpg

post-3749-063623900 1295867441_thumb.jpg

post-3749-040288600 1295867505_thumb.jpg

Craig-

I see it as a Eriostachys, but either way, the larger leaves mean it has a decent chance! Good going!

Cindy- My pleasure!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Richnorm, are you growing any New Cal palms up your way?

Hi Mike,

I have all the Chambeyronias and a handful or so of the other species. All NewCal species will probably grow here but are largely unavailable. If you can get seed and it is not prohibited for importation you then face very low germination rates (often 0%) and then there's the difficulty of keeping the seedlings alive until they are robust enough to handle winter outside. For example, I got 50/50 Basselinia gracilis to germinate but am now down to a handful of plants. They died outside in winter and died from shock if I brought them inside! Unfortunately you need better growing skills and facilities than I am currently able to provide but I keep trying. The Burretiokentias and Cyphophoenix are easier but you need to buy seed in lots of 100 due to very poor germination. Kentiopsis oliviformis and Chambeyronia houailou have the highest heat requirements. All are very slow! I think the best bet is to give seed to a professional grower with a double skinned plastic house in return for a plant a few years down the line.

cheers

Richard

Wow Bill, nice collection! The Kentiopsis seem to really like your place. Craig, you sure that Basselinia isn't in Hawaii? It's doing the hula.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Great palms everyone, this was my pick at Col's place, his Chambeyronia houliou.

post-51-037414300%201295231987.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Now on to the 4 horseman of the Kentiopsis!

Kentiopsis pyriformis.

post-27-006236700 1295810034_thumb.jpg

(I have just decided to go get "extra" pics of these!!) :) stand by..

post-27-079164500 1295811167_thumb.jpg

BS,

Looking money bud, absolute money! These palms are crazy exotic! Oh how I yearn for global warming so I can grow these palms one day too! Very solid New Cal collection Bill! You tha man!

-eric

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Bill, Your New Cals rock. The houliou has a salmon colored new leaf. Is it just a form of Chambeyronia macrocarpa?

post-1035-083732600 1295928417_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Ed, not really. I would think the closest would be some of the Basselinia's might "try"...

Tim, Wal and Eric- THANKS Its a constant toss-up whether I like the New Cal or the Madagascar palms better... Probably New Cal in Winter and Madagascar in summer..

Randy- Thanks. Plus, not all of the houliou's come out red. maybe less than 15%. But some say, or officially I understand it is just a"form", like hookeri..of macrocarpa.

Added a basselinia glabrata to the collection Saturday and planted on Sunday.

post-27-030141000 1296485838_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Added a basselinia glabrata to the collection Saturday and planted on Sunday.

post-27-030141000 1296485838_thumb.jpg

Bought and planted the next day? Are you sure you're feeling alright? :unsure:

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Now I'm going to do the cheesy trick of one palm per post so the collection looks more impressive! :lol:

Basselinia pancheri.

post-27-089293200 1295809777_thumb.jpg

post-27-097944100 1295811882_thumb.jpg

Do you have seeds or seedlings of this palm?

Martin- I'm trying to only get palms that I have an idea where I will plant...

Bill- you'll love the New Cal stuff... but somewhat slow even over there!

Sorry Koch- no spares, but if you beat the bushes, you can maybe locate them..

Nice collection Bill

Kentiopsis magnifica is slow for me, however i have been growing them in shade. Di you suggest they need full sun?

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Nice collection Bill

Kentiopsis magnifica is slow for me, however i have been growing them in shade. Di you suggest they need full sun?

regards

colin

I stumbled on that secret a couple years back Colin... All the ones around here that people gave at least a few hours sun are growing like rockets!! the shaded ones just languish,...

WOW - great thread BS MAN ! quite a collection - now we need a big palmtalk working bee BBQ to landscape the backyard so those beauties can be planted .

Chambeyronia lepidota :drool:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Nice collection Bill

regards

colin

I stumbled on that secret a couple years back Colin... All the ones around here that people gave at least a few hours sun are growing like rockets!! the shaded ones just languish,...

And when Bill means growing like rockets he means 1 - 2 leaves per year. This is still a slow palm.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

2 is still better than 1 !!!:D

How many leaves a year do you think your oliviformis put out?

Oh yeah Troy, Thanks and we'll organise that when you are here next.... :)

2 is still better than 1 !!!:D

How many leaves a year do you think your oliviformis put out?

Oh yeah Troy, Thanks and we'll organise that when you are here next.... :)

It is easily the fastest of the four. Each of my three do 4 leaves a year like clock work. My Pyriformis does 3 but they were just planted so this year will be a better judge. My two Magnificas are each 1.5 leaves a year. Last year I got one leaf. This year will be two since the new spear is about 3/4 ready from opening already. Same thing happened two years ago.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I think if my pyriformis and oliviformis had more sun they would do 3. The piersoniorum has the most sun, and is newer, but the old one was maybe 1.25-1.50 leaves per year..

My Piersoniorum gets 2 to 2.5, same with Pyraformus.

I think if my pyriformis and oliviformis had more sun they would do 3. The piersoniorum has the most sun, and is newer, but the old one was maybe 1.25-1.50 leaves per year..

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

My Piersoniorum gets 2 to 2.5, same with Pyraformus.

Says you. Post a pic. :P

:D

So- I looked all over, Iand I can't find a pic of one of the rare ones in So Cal in the ground! Pogobob has said I can post, yet I have no "planted pic".....ROAD TRIP!! :D

But here is Bobs Cyphokentia macrostacyha prior to planting, until such time as I arrive later... :)

post-27-051320500 1296623653_thumb.jpg

Still waiting for Clinosperma posting OK.

So, Planted one this afternoon. Since several have reported problems growing them in the greenhouse, and Gary L. has had luck with his outside at a tiny stage, I opted to plant my Moratia cerifera this afternoon.

post-27-073020900 1297128073_thumb.jpg

PLEASE wish me luck, prayers or touch wood. I'll accept all! :D

Then picked up a Burretiokentia viellardii for future planting...

post-27-038204200 1297128437_thumb.jpg

So, Planted one this afternoon. Since several have reported problems growing them in the greenhouse, and Gary L. has had luck with his outside at a tiny stage, I opted to plant my Moratia cerifera this afternoon.

Is this the one you grew in the terrarium?

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Is this the one you grew in the terrarium?

Yes, its been in the greenhouse for several months now..

Shon- make sure it has some splinters visible please... :huh:

Awesome palms you got there Bill!!!!!!!drool.gif

Your Kentiopsis magnifica is my favorite of all! Do you maybe know the age of your Actinokentia divaricata,Cyphoenix alba and Cyphosperma balansae?

What position would you choose for planting out a small Cyphosperma balansae and what protection would you give? I get below 0C temperatures but i also have tree sheltered positions which keep frost off and temperatures higher. How would you acclimate it to more sun?

So far,i have 6 Cyphophoenix alba,10 Actinokentia divaricata,1 Cyphosperma balansae,4 Kentiopsis oliviformis and 1 REAL Kentiopsis magnifica. All are babies though,most about 1 and a half to 2 years old with the Kentiopsis magnifica only a few months old and the Cyphosperma of unknown age but about 3 or more years old. Its outgrowing its plastic cup.

I wish you the best of luck with your Cyphokentia cerifera!!!!!smilie.gif

Thank you very much in advance! smilie.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Thanks Kostas.

I should have looked at my forecast closer... high 30'sF predicted overnight the next week (2C?) Anyway, the thing I have been finding is at least "coastally" most of the new Cal palms will take more sun than folks think and in fact I think it really helps them! If you have some humidity, a few to several hours of sun a day is good. If you are on the drier side, I would go with "bright area" if you can..

The 3 ages you asked are probably 4 years or less and the Actino's maybe 5-6 years..

Nice start there, I would strongly suggest the Cyphophoenix's... very good growers..