IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

nice planting of Syagrus schizophylla

Eric in Orlando

I was at the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center this week. They have just recently relandscaped the front of the building. One of the palms they used was Syagrus schizophylla, the Arikury Palm. This is a underutilized palm in south FL and the warmer parts of central FL. Its a slow grower and a smaller species of Syagrus. Here they used it under an overhang where a shorter palm is required and also in between taller Royal Palms, Roystonea regia.

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

thanks for the photos. Looks good. Last weekend I planted 7 arikuries around my pool. These palms are neglict tolerant. I've grown them from seed and really haven't done much to them the past few years, yet, they still grow. I have a couple taller ones that have been in the ground ~5 or 6 years. I don't think you can kill them as they have survived transplanting, hurricanes, floods, drought, heat, freeze, neglict. Added bonus that they look like a dwarf coconut and you have a winner!

This is a distance shot on some of the numerous old and strangely tall Akirury Palms in this area. I believe I may have an answer to who the Johnny Appleseed was in this area. A friend's Grandfather was the original curator for Henry Flagler and was given wide range to acquire "tropicals". He made a number of pick-ups in South America and other spots:

P1020386.jpg

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

Nice plantings, both of them!

Any idea or educated guesses on how old those Syagrus schizophylla in that last photo are? 70? 100? Do you know if they were planted as seedlings or a little bit of trunk on them already? Just wondering.

those palms are SSSSOOOOOO slow here in California that even those in the first photos would be very old palms here... I got lucky and found one that size at a nursery going out of business and I now have one of the larger Syagrus schizophylla in California.... normally it would take maybe 15 years for a palm to get that size here... those others, maybe 100 or more years (in California)

• Upvote 1

This is a distance shot on some of the numerous old and strangely tall Akirury Palms in this area. I believe I may have an answer to who the Johnny Appleseed was in this area. A friend's Grandfather was the original curator for Henry Flagler and was given wide range to acquire "tropicals". He made a number of pick-ups in South America and other spots:

P1020386.jpg

Bubba,

where are these in FT Lauderdale? are they near the convention center?

Best regards

ed

P1020386.jpg

Those are nice ! Those and some at Fairchild are the tallest I have seen.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Nice plantings, both of them!

Any idea or educated guesses on how old those Syagrus schizophylla in that last photo are? 70? 100? Do you know if they were planted as seedlings or a little bit of trunk on them already? Just wondering.

Henry Flagler started building in South Florida in 1894-5 and died 1913, so if they were planted when he was around they are easily 100yrs old. Would like to hear Bubba's history lesson on the palms and the collector that brought them there.

Ed, These are located in the parking lot of the Breaker's Ocean Golf Course in Palm Beach, Fl.I would guess that there are a minimum of 50-100 specimens this height and size around the island.Carver did a very good job of filling in most of the blanks for DCA.

I became aware of this through an article in our newspaper about a friend of my mother's,who I have known for a very long time. Her Grandfather was a Horticulturist that was employed by Flagler when he moved to Palm Beach. Flagler recognized the tropical ambiance brought to Palm Beach by the Coconuts but wanted to expand it.Mrs. X's Grandfather was hired by Flagler in the early 1890's.

It would be interesting to see if this Gentleman and Dr. Fairchild met.The same is true with Dr. Nehrling.I am certain that they traveled in the same circles as top notch Botanist's.Unfortunately, I do not think there is a great deal of information that survives except for the few remaining folks with some knowledge through what they heard. I doubt Mrs. X knows too much because she was not born when much of this was going on. I am going to have another discussion with her because we already talked after reading it and I would never have known any of this but for the article.

The proliferation of these very old Akirury Palms is not limited to Palm Beach. There are many throughout the older portions of West Palm and I have heard Pious comment on them in Delray.I am certain that this Gentleman had to be responsible for the State Champion Kapok planted on the trail near Whitehall.I am certain that he is responsible for the introduction of many of the other tropical plantings like Ficus and many others. It is too bad that we do not have more information. Most of these specimens far outlive those who planted them.

What you look for is what is looking

I noyiced those at the tpie show all newly planted they looked nice

Looked like they had recently replanted a lot of the landscaping. They used quite a few Cocoothrinax argentata, Leucothrinax morrissii, Roystonea regia and Wodyetia along the street between the building and parking garage.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Central Floridave - love that picture of S. schizophylla.

What kind of protection does it have? I see a large oak (or camphor) tree in the front yard.

I am having a real problem keeping tropical palms. Apparently I sit at the bottom of a hill and have a severe cold sink. Heavy frost the last 2 years. I can't keep Foxtails or Royals. I planted a S. romanzoffiana, Arenga engleri and an Acromomia sp. and all had little to no damage this December. Even my Bismarckia noblis in the front yard with protection from my hosue had minor leaf damage from heavy frost recently.

is S. schizophylla tolerant of frost? or does it need protection? thanks

bob

They can tolerate some cold but don't like frost. So for this area they grow best under tree canopy. They tolerate shade so they grow well under trees. They also grow slow so stay smaller and are easy to wrap if it gets disaster cold.

We have several under tree canopy and none were damaged last winter or this year.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a