IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Johannesteijsmannia magnifica seeds

Cindy Adair

I was innocently googling this species AGAIN "just because" when I saw an auction for 5 seeds ending in 2 hours. You guessed it-I bid and won. Now that was just tonight, yet I'm already picturing 100% germination and instant huge silvery leaves. I have one plant in the ground that I was delighted to buy from Florida last year, but would love as many as possible. Any hints on germination/care of seedlings for this palm? I've literally tried 3 species from seed and had good luck so far (Adonidia,Dictyocaryum and Sommiera).

Cindy Adair

I had some success in germinating J. magnifica, but I was not careful enough with the seedlings. They don't like sun, not even partial, at least not here on Maui. So now I have none. But I will try again when the opportunity presents itself. Good luck with yours. They're fabulous palms. I do have a couple of the J.teijsmania, one in the ground and one still in a 3 gal.pot.

Aloham,

Bill

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

I'd love to try growing some but, try as I may, still haven't been able to find any seed or plants.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to try growing some but, try as I may, still haven't been able to find any seed or plants.

I have some seeds coming from that popular online auction site by way of Malaysia. I see they are still selling them if you want to try. Those are the only seeds I've seen for sale. I'll post if I can get any to germinate of the 10 I've ordered.

Cindy Adair

Malaysia? I hope you actually get something!.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Malaysia? I hope you actually get something!.

I hope so too! They have a 100% positive rating, but that doesn't mean I'll be lucky... I just imagine the side of a hill with Dictyocaryum and silver Joey palms.

Cindy Adair

• 2 weeks later...

My first order of seeds from Malaysia arrived in less than 10 days. I forgot to take a photo but will do so when my second order arrives. The vendor sent 5 cleaned seeds and one not cleaned as a bonus, perhaps to show that they do look like Joey seeds. I've soaked them for 3 days, changing water daily and they are in a plastic bag with moistened peat in a warm room hoping for the best! I anticipate the next 5 seeds soon as the vendor sends tracking information and they're on their way. I'll post again when/if they germinate!

Cindy Adair

Lucky you, this Joey magnifica is a beautiful palm with its big entire leaves with silvery undersides. I have several in containers in a mostly shaded location. I have found that J. magnifica is just a little more difficult to keep looking nice than the easier to grow J. altifrons, for whatever the reason. Maybe others who are growing J. magnificum can inform us as to how theirs is growing with some details as to what they've found to keep them happy and growing.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 1 month later...

First seed germinated today after being in a ziplock bag since February 7. Nothing happened until I put them on a seedling bottom heating pad I was using to jump start basil seeds a week ago. They had previously been in the warmest (dark) bedroom and now are in enough full sun (and on the heat) that I was afraid I'd cook them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for healthy roots and leaves and the other 10 seeds to join this one and germinate! However, if I can get only one it will be worth it.

Cindy Adair

Yes, I realize one must have a great deal of imagination to see the photo here and change it to a mature silver Joey, but thankfully I do...

post-4111-027390900 1302659402_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

• 3 months later...

Yes, I realize one must have a great deal of imagination to see the photo here and change it to a mature silver Joey, but thankfully I do...

Sadly, no other seeds have sprouted and the one in the previous photo grew a root about 2 inches and then rotted before a shoot ever appeared. R. I. P.

Cindy Adair

• 8 years later...
On 2/1/2011 at 7:48 AM, Cindy Adair said:

I have some seeds coming from that popular online auction site by way of Malaysia. I see they are still selling them if you want to try. Those are the only seeds I've seen for sale. I'll post if I can get any to germinate of the 10 I've ordered.

Cindy can you give me the website to see if I find some seeds? 

• 8 months later...
On 2/1/2011 at 5:48 AM, Cindy Adair said:

Ditto.

Yes. I would like to buy. Can you provide me with the link of that auction or shop?

Thanks a lot!

Tom

So nice to hear you recived them.Please update if they germinated. So nice to see spreading out.