IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sugar Cane Cuttings?

_Keith

I just scored some new sugar cane, really thick dark purple stalks, but its too late to plant outdoors. I assume I can't let it sit around for another 2 months and have it still be viable. So, until temps warm up enough to plant it out in the ground, what is the best technique for starting this in pots. Light, soil, fertilizer, any details appreciated.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hhmmm.... might not be applicable to you, but I usually just lay the cutting on the ground... and it will grow from the nodes...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just put the cuttings vertically in water with a few nodes above the water and a couple below. They will form roots in the water and sprouts above. Keep the water fresh if it starts to discolor. Do keep them in high light and warm temps if you can. Plant the rooted cuttings come spring. It's not a bad idea to save a cutting to re-root in water before planting out so you have a back up. It's not really needed with sugar cane but if you have any type of willow tree around (weeping willow or native) root two or three cuttings of it in the same container as the sugar cane. The willow will give off helpful rooting compounds.

Hi Keith, could we see a pic of the mother plant or similar ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hhmmm.... might not be applicable to you, but I usually just lay the cutting on the ground... and it will grow from the nodes...

Ari, the issue is cold, tonight we'll get down of -2C. We probably have another 5 weeks of cold weather, but spring arrives.

Once established sugracane will overwinter here easily, growing as a perennial, but planting is generally done in early fall so it will establish before the cold arrives. I planted some in winter a few years ago, only to never see it again.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Well... put it in a longish pots (like a planter box or something) and grow it inside or protected spot waiting for spring...

Or get another cutting when the weather is warming up??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Wal, I don't have a clue as the origin. They were selling sticks at a vegetable stand in a nearby city. I just happened to spot them. This is a dark purple cane. It is popular because you can still take a pocket knife and cut strips to chew on. The new varieties that have been grown here for the last decade or longer have higher sugar content, but they are hard as a rock, quite literally. Jaws from the James Bond movie couldn't chew this new stuff.

But with a little luck, I'll be able to post some fine pictures later this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my purple sugar cane this morning, it has loved all the rain and it is in a well drained position (unlike some of my Dypsis palms which have suffered).

post-51-009349000 1296856231_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, I don't have a clue as the origin. They were selling sticks at a vegetable stand in a nearby city. I just happened to spot them. This is a dark purple cane. It is popular because you can still take a pocket knife and cut strips to chew on. The new varieties that have been grown here for the last decade or longer have higher sugar content, but they are hard as a rock, quite literally. Jaws from the James Bond movie couldn't chew this new stuff.

But with a little luck, I'll be able to post some fine pictures later this summer.

AsI understand it, plantations developed the "hard" cane to counter rats chewing on the canes.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens