IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Surf

Daryl

With all of the tragedy we have had in this part of the world lately, courtesy of mother nature, it was surprising that she tried to balance it out today with some outstanding surf on the local breaks. Here is some video of Kirra today...

Classic Kirra surf

Hope everyone is well in spite of the floods and destruction.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Incredible surf.Did not know it got that good in Australia.Thank you.

What you look for is what is looking

Philo,

have you seen the size of our coastline, There is uncrowded fantastic surfing spots everywhere and we can surf all year.

regards

coli n

Incredible surf.Did not know it got that good in Australia.Thank you.

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Thanks for the link!

Bubba,

In comparison to Australia, Florida is garbage as far as surf goes. Not that you were making that comparison :winkie: .

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Incredible tubes!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Awesome. Great rights. Thanks for sharing.

Florida is junk surfwise. I grew up there and surfed just about everywhere in the state. That said, the ten-time world champion comes from ol'FloreeeDahh. How 'bout them apples? :rolleyes:

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Thanks for the link!

Bubba,

In comparison to Australia, Florida is garbage as far as surf goes. Not that you were making that comparison :winkie: .

Maybe that's why a Florida boy is the TEN time world champion!

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Thanks for the link!

Bubba,

Kinda like exercising with weights on your ankles. When you take them off, everything seems easy.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 2 weeks later...

THanks for awesome barrels we some times get a barrel or two here in Hawaii. I don't know if I love surfing or growing palms more ?

Just like I remember it 'cept a little bit smaller. Got the longest right barrel of my life there and the deepest further up the coast at Burleigh Heads. The place is awsome. Stayed at Backpackers Paradise and these were my "local" breaks for about a month. Never got a bad vibe from the locals....just the Brazilians who would always try and take over wherever they go.

Funny that you mentioned Kelly Slater with a post about Kirra. I actually was surfing Kirra at the same time he was there. In fact I saw some guy just shredding it and asked a local dude who it was. He laughed and told me I ought to know because he was from my neck of the woods :)

Edited by Alicehunter2000

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 4 months later...

A few photos from last Thursday morning. Water was 21C and nice, but the air temp was only 15C!

Grrenmount

post-42-050134300 1308386346_thumb.jpg

post-42-055160800 1308386342_thumb.jpg

Snapper Rocks

post-42-001241200 1308386349_thumb.jpg

Duranbah

post-42-076222100 1308386338_thumb.jpg

post-42-073195500 1308386335_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

That first Duranbah pic is a cracker Daz, peeling to the left and right. That beach was famous when I was at school, and that's a long time ago. It was always packed unfortunately.

Great shots, maybe I should do some Caloundra to Maroochydore beach pics and Craig can cover the northern ones, be a good array of surf shots. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That first Duranbah pic is a cracker Daz, peeling to the left and right. That beach was famous when I was at school, and that's a long time ago. It was always packed unfortunately.

Great shots, maybe I should do some Caloundra to Maroochydore beach pics and Craig can cover the northern ones, be a good array of surf shots. :)

Thats a Great idea Wal, I will do ByronBay and also South West Rocks and surrounds when im there next. Any other volunteers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a Great idea Wal, I will do ByronBay and also South West Rocks and surrounds when im there next. Any other volunteers.

No point me getting any shots.........The Great Barrier Reef stops the surf in these parts........will have to wait for a cyclone :hmm:

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Those two pics are the least crowded I have ever seen Dbah.

Edited by Shon

San Marcos CA

Awsome surf pics from downunder, thanks! We had some really good overhead surf here at Trestles the past few days, only 110 of my best friends to share them with!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Awsome surf pics from downunder, thanks! We had some really good overhead surf here at Trestles the past few days, only 110 of my best friends to share them with!

Thats why i love Churches! More spread out and less kooks! Well...less people...

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

This is our closest beach. Byron Bay, Australias most easterly point, 1 hr south of Daryls pics at Snapper and Dbar. Enjoy Pete

post-5709-096181100 1309425212_thumb.jpg The Pass. Byron Bay

post-5709-009648500 1309425202_thumb.jpgThe Pass Byron Bay

post-5709-007493600 1309425192_thumb.jpg View from Lighthouse over Watego's and Main Bay of Byron.

This is our closest beach. Byron Bay, Australias most easterly point, 1 hr south of Daryls pics at Snapper and Dbar. Enjoy Pete

post-5709-096181100 1309425212_thumb.jpg The Pass. Byron Bay

post-5709-009648500 1309425202_thumb.jpgThe Pass Byron Bay

post-5709-007493600 1309425192_thumb.jpg View from Lighthouse over Watego's and Main Bay of Byron.

Water looks grey as it was a rainy day

Great shots guys...I have "surfline" bookmarked next to "palm talk" and I travel down under all the time via the web cams.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

Nicaragua from May. The view from the condo we were at is the wave in the other pics. Fun stuff. Pretty shallow. There was a really fun beach break nearby as well.

post-526-012766700 1309529406_thumb.jpg

post-526-066711400 1309529433_thumb.jpg

post-526-078881200 1309529457_thumb.jpg

post-526-097556800 1309529483_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the little "waterproof" digital camera did not last very long in the surf.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 1 month later...

There is a bit of swell around at the moment and the water is warm. Today the wind was a light offshore breeze, so ideal conditions. Took these at the local beachbreak...

This guy was having a good day for sure...

post-42-080762900 1312697427_thumb.jpg

post-42-058434300 1312697432_thumb.jpg

post-42-004337400 1312697437_thumb.jpg

post-42-021677800 1312697417_thumb.jpg

post-42-036895300 1312697907_thumb.jpg

post-42-084763900 1312697911_thumb.jpg

post-42-043006900 1312697914_thumb.jpg

Awesome. Great rights. Thanks for sharing.

Florida is junk surfwise. I grew up there and surfed just about everywhere in the state. That said, the ten-time world champion comes from ol'FloreeeDahh. How 'bout them apples? :rolleyes:

Not even. Plenty of hurricane and winter swells every year! I have surfed Fl for over 20 yrs and have seen and been in large swells. RC's, Spanish House, Sebastian, Monster Hole, Lake Worth, and Reef Road all have seen double over-head surf. In fact... Panama City had triple over-head+ surf in 2005! :o

I don't surf (and would probably kill myself if I tried), but I took these at Monterey Bay about 10 years ago. Not sure how often the bay has waves like this. I do remember the noise was incredible.

Surf02.jpg

Surf03.jpg

Surf04.jpg

Surf01.jpg

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Thanks Daryl,

Love the water color, what were the water temps? Assuming that its the same spot, one fellow has a full suit on while another is skinning it?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

CONGRATULATIONS to Sally Fitzgibbons who just won the US Open of Surfing at Huntington Beach, California over the weekend. She is from Nowra, New South Wales, AUS. This is her third pro victory this year. The other two were at the Rip Curl Women's Pro at Bells Beach and the other at the Subaru TSB Bank Pro at Taranaki, NZ.

Also I want to give a shout out to the 39 year old FLORIDA boy that won the men's side.

--Avett Bros

For those of you that missed watching the US Open on their computers or on TV Snday after noon, here is a link where you can watch the semi's and finals "on demand"...There were over 500,000 attendees over the 9 day event.

http://www.usopenofsurfing.com/

--Avett Bros

Thanks Daryl,

Love the water color, what were the water temps? Assuming that its the same spot, one fellow has a full suit on while another is skinning it?

Tank, the water temp is 20C or 68F. It does drop to 19C in early spring, before warming up again. I guess some guys just feel the cold more than others. It looks like a pretty thin suit...maybe 1mm?

Daryl

Shipsterns bluff is the premier wave down here in Tassie :drool: if your crazy enough !

Photo by Stuart Gibson

post-1252-031680300 1312962228_thumb.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks for the link!

Bubba,

Kinda like exercising with weights on your ankles. When you take them off, everything seems easy.

My mom uses those ankle weights--not a great look for you, Tank...

Thanks for the link!

Bubba,

My mom uses those ankle weights--not a great look for you, Tank...

It is a great look for those of us who can pull it off. The key is a full body spandex jumper to go with the leg weights and a pair of white reebok high-tops

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 1 year later...

Took these shots a few weeks ago in the dead of winter on a gloomy day...

Burleigh

post-42-0-12047300-1345729657_thumb.jpg

Always a small crowd of people watching

post-42-0-49301500-1345729667_thumb.jpg

A small but clean swell and very little breeze

post-42-0-42412900-1345729676_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-35213100-1345729683_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-35825500-1345729691_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-34662400-1345729699_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-86198400-1345729704_thumb.jpg

Surf City..check out how close it is to the beach in the right side of the photo...

post-42-0-69138100-1345729710_thumb.jpg

Shipsterns bluff is the premier wave down here in Tassie :drool: if your crazy enough !

Photo by Stuart Gibson

post-1252-031680300 1312962228_thumb.jpg

Oh no no no no no Troy. Bad. Bad. Is that a wave or a whilrpool? That is just a bad monster waiting to eat you.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks for sharing...nice pics.

--Avett Bros

What, no surfing goats?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thought I'd slip this one in from my trip to WA May/June 2012.

Margaret River's Prevelly Beach.

post-51-0-69080200-1345759619_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.