IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where is Peachy

_Keith

Great news!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Updates will be added as Colin feeds me more info. Peachy is having trouble speaking. Not sure if she swallowed a fly or whether it's her medical condition.

$450 dollars raised towards a new AC unit - $1850 extra needed to include installation.

The donate button now targets Peachy's PayPal account. This means that anyone out there in cyberspace might give a little something if they find her appeal blog. Perhaps some of you Facebook members could post a link or two? One link that would benefit enormously would be on the Facebook MS Society of Australia page: MS Australia

I shall try and find appropriate sites to link to, but if someone could infiltrate Facebook for Peachy's appeal it could potentially be a huge boost in terms of fund-raising.

Thanks to everyone involved in setting this up to make it so easy for us to help in a small way.

Peachy, you are in my thoughts, sending you best wishes. Oh, and a little cash, too! :winkie:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Talk about a long range donation...glad to help out.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Thank you everyone who has helped and Peachy the kind words and thoughts of others, i will relay all your comments to her today,

Progress so far for her

most importantly,

Her morale is picking up thanks to Palmtalk members

The money raised via Palmtalk will allow for a replacement washing machine, and now we have $650 towards replacing the airconditioning unit

Air conditioning may not sound important , but in Qld it can be hot and humid, that in itself is normal for many people.

Why is it a priority for peachy?

Because she has MS in its later stages, she has trouble talking and uses a wheelchair and mobility scooter to get around.

Air conditioning helps regulate her condition

She has been cleaning the house herself by crawling around the floor, she has no family to help

Palmtalk is her family at the moment

Priorities are curtains , air conditioning, a refrigerator maybe.Chasing the govt dept to fix her lift so she doesn't have to crawl up her steps into the house (fortunately our health support systems are good here)

she has been given the use of an old noisy refrigerator at the moment , at least it works

Outside, her yard hard surfaces have damaged and need repairing/replacing, so she can get around to her palms and seedling , (hopefully she will find some more) This is not a priority,just needs manpower. Any offers?

Close your eyes for a moment and imagine getting around in mud with a severe disability, on your own, no family to help,everyone else in her street has not returned yet, Fortunately they have some where else to stay until the clean up is complete and their homes are repaired.

Peachy does not have that choice

Please encourage others to donate generously,

The mobility scooter replacement is on its way, from a palmtalk member

Peachy will choose one when she comes out off hospital next week. She goes in Wednesday. she requires an operation now as well, when things go wrong some times they can get worse, hard to imagine really

However , with palmtalk members help, you will be back in her house with items she needs to ensure her a happy life than she enjoys at the moment.

a neighbor donated a dishwasher

As the palmtalk group has asked me to set this account up, i hope no when gets offended when i say for those of you who have not donated, please do, donate now ! Paypal account email peachyrobyn@gmail.com or the donate button on the website John setup which links to it,

http://www.princeofp.../wordpress/?p=9

if the rolls where reversed, i would like tho think the group would help you.

Come on Team we can do this!!

For those who have helped, thank you

Any amount is welcome

regards

Colin

PS I have not met Peachy and do not know her personally, only via palmtalk. Peachy is a person in need, it took a while for her to talk about the inner details of her situation, had to ask about each item to find the priorities

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Well done Colin! If anyone has suggestions for Peachy's blog page, let's hear it! It's the ultimate get well-card isn't it? I can embed YouTube videos, photos, anything to make it personalized. For ideas, it's often worth reading through someone's posts to find out what would touch them most. Maybe some of Peachy´s garden photos would be inspiring. Hmm.. time to look for a slide-show plugin. post-1261-1208739184.gif

Sent :)

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

I think I might cry. Faceless (mostly) people helping someone a world away. Well a world away for me anyway. I am moved by this and did what I could.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

This is the kind of thing that can sometimes be magic on social networks like Facebook. We need the story written just a tad more emotionally, a little more detail, like an expansion of Colin's post above. Then we all need to try to take this viral, so to speak, by posting and asking others to share the story and links.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I've added a link on the PalmTalk facebook page, and on my own facebook page. If we all do this, word will spread. Every little bit helps.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim, that's brilliant. I will be watching the stats!

Keith, you have the idea I was banking on. My reservations are for the possibility of embarrassing Peachy too much. What I will take up are the points that Colin made about how we would feel in that situation, and how it only takes a few dollars to put her right again. I'm all for appeals that with a quick injection, can solve the unmanageable circumstances of a person. Call it "flash donating" if you like. If we can back up the appeal with photos, even better.

Aĺan, we are an inspiration to others, aren't we? For this reason, I linked PalmTalk and the IPS in Peachy's appeal.

Michael, I have sent you a PM.

Has anyone heard if Peachy is in the track of the cat 4 cyclone "Yasi" forcast to hit Queensland on Wednesday? Is 2012 already here??

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

Question: for those who do not wish to use PayPal, is there any other way to send a donation? (I've already made my donation, just asking for others who may have this dilemma.)

Kim Cyr

Has anyone heard if Peachy is in the track of the cat 4 cyclone "Yasi" forcast to hit Queensland on Wednesday? Is 2012 already here??

No, she is in South East Queensland, here's Yasi's tracking. We have many palmtalk members in that track including Mikey and Michael (aussiearoids) to name just two. Good luck to all of you.

IDQ65001.gif?1296587000241

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

No, she is in South East Queensland, here's Yasi's tracking. We have many palmtalk members in that track including Mikey and Michael (aussiearoids) to name just two. Good luck to all of you.

IDQ65001.gif?1296587000241

Thanks Wal for thinking of us.. It's Not looking Good

I Can help manually if you wold like a hand Peachy

I'll Drive down after this, just let Colin know peachy K

I can give you a hand cleaning...

Best Wishes Mikey..

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Good luck to all down there...!! :unsure:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This storm is brutal...check out the comparisons.

531365-cyclone-yasi-comparison.jpg

--Avett Bros

For those who have asked, Peachy, Wal, Daryl, Brod, Mike Etc

are long way for the cyclone, Fortunately the eye of the cyclone hit the coast in the least populated area in North queensland, Mission beach and Tully are surrounded by farmland and National parks. Area north and south got damage as well, fnot as baad as it could have been thankfully.

regards

colin

PS Peachy's hospital entry has been put back until Friday

She still needs help

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Peachy updateSpoke to Peachy this morning, She was not to well, the heat is getting to her, she fainted a few times yesterday so it is probably good she will be in hospital for a few days respite. The air conditioning man will turn up next Thursday to advise what has to be done and for how much.

The following weekend Brod will visit to determine other priorities and help maybe with the yard clean up.

She was very worried about Aussiearoids ( Mike) in Tully and said he might need help more than her . I assured her he was ok.

We are a little over halfway in being able to afford a replacement system, it will help keep her MS under control.

I read your messages to her each day, she is constantly amazed about the comments of support, and its lifts her spirits

thanks for those who have donated so far

She still has no ability to have the internet connected yet

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Peachy updateSpoke to Peachy this morning, She was not to well, the heat is getting to her, she fainted a few times yesterday so it is probably good she will be in hospital for a few days respite. The air conditioning man will turn up next Thursday to advise what has to be done and for how much.

The following weekend Brod will visit to determine other priorities and help maybe with the yard clean up.

She was very worried about Aussiearoids ( Mike) in Tully and said he might need help more than her . I assured her he was ok.

We are a little over halfway in being able to afford a replacement system, it will help keep her MS under control.

I read your messages to her each day, she is constantly amazed about the comments of support, and its lifts her spirits

regards

colin

Thanks for the update Colin. Can we get any photos of the current state of Peachy's property? I can put together a slide show for her blog, it will be good to recall after everything is back to normal.

Hi John

Hopefully we can get some uploaded next week

regards

colin

regards

colin

Thanks for the update Colin. Can we get any photos of the current state of Peachy's property? I can put together a slide show for her blog, it will be good to recall after everything is back to normal.

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hi John

Hopefully we can get some uploaded next week

regards

colin

regards

colin

Colin, can you give us a target amount for the air conditioning? I remember the hot miserable days after storms without utilities, the stench, the humidity, and the staggering heat. Give us something to work towards.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith, I believe around 1000-1200 dollars more is needed for the AC. MS suffers often cannot regulate their body temperature, so especially unbearable. Add to that the muck and carnage..

I donated some too. I wish her the best. I cannot imagine the difficulty she's enduring.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I donated some too. I wish her the best. I cannot imagine the difficulty she's enduring.

Map updated!

Hi All

Thank you, those who have donated, we are only about $650 from getting the air conditioning unit replaced. The help and best wish's for Peachy have been a heart warming example of human kindness to some one in extreme need.

When i am in contact with her, i read her your messages and donations, she gets overcome with emotion, she has trouble believing any one cares as she has lost a lot of friends and family due to her illness over the years.

thanks you again on Peachy's behalf

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hi All

Thank you, those who have donated, we are only about $650 from getting the air conditioning unit replaced. The help and best wish's for Peachy have been a heart warming example of human kindness to some one in extreme need.

When i am in contact with her, i read her your messages and donations, she gets overcome with emotion, she has trouble believing any one cares as she has lost a lot of friends and family due to her illness over the years.

thanks you again on Peachy's behalf

regards

colin

Colin, well done mate! I have updated the appeal blog in light of this news. Started one week ago, the blog has attracted 670 hits - around 95 hits per day - and most of that traffic has come through PalmTalk. There were 197 hits just on the second day of the appeal. If we can get the AC unit, and start adding photos to the blog, I'm certain it would raise new awareness.

Hullo to everyone. First let me say how totally overwhelmed I am by the generosity and care that so many people on palmtalk have shown me. I will get around to thanking everyone personally eventually. (though it may take me some time) I dare'nt get too emotional right now....I'm in an internet cafe paying by the half hour and if I start blubbering my glasses will fog over and I won't be able to write. The house is nearly cleaned up now, a week of very hot weather really knocked me flat, it was 31 in the house at midnight, just to give you an idea, then I had to go into hospital to get a lump taken out. Surprisingly, with the way my luck has been running, it was removed before it turned nasty, so no ongoing treatment is needed. As for the garden, well I cant access most of it now, but all the things in big ceramic pots have been gathered together along the driveway and left to fend for themselves. The wonderful Brod is coming on the weekend to attack the debris and carnage. I rang almost every airconditioning place in the phone book until I found one who said my airconditioner was repairable. He came this morning and worked on it but he has to go and find spare parts now so it wont be running for a couple of days. I am so glad that I watch Oprah.... last year Kirsty Alley showed Oprah's viewers the correct way to scrub a floor, with a stiff brush and rags....so I was familiar with the theory and now have been putting it into practice. A chinese australian lady told me about oil soap to get mud out of wooden furniture, so I have been applying that by the litre also. Who would have thought that Peachy would become a domestic goddess ? (certainly not Peachy) The horrible stench after the flood has finally gone, I have power and gas connected again. Just simple things that one doesn't normally even think about until they are no longer there. My beautiful Bertie, the rainbow lorikeet, and baby of my little family, passed away in the really hot weather too. I am still pretty devastated, but poor Jasper, the green lorikeet was heartbroken and now shrieks the house down if he cant see me, so not only can I scrub floors and walls but I can do it with a lorikeet hanging from my glasses. The priest turned up at the house yesterday, asked if I wanted him to bless the house. He was told to go ahead but only if he does a better job than last time. My brains are totally scrambled (nothing new there but this time they are even worse than usual) so after he did his splashing and chanting tricks, when it was time to be very devout and genuflect (something I can do in my sleep usually) I got muddled and got the movements reversed so it came out identical to an unpleasant child playing milk, milk, lemonade !! It's going to take a long time to get back to normality around here but I am far luckier than all my neighbours who lost everything although I had to fight like an alley cat to stop people (who meant well) from throwning out everyting I owned. While a lot of stuff got ruined, most was salvagable and while it will always have stains and tide marks, I still have it. I dont know what is dead or alive in the backyard, the big palms seem to be okay from my vantage points. I took a few photos when I first got home and will get around to posting them in the near future. My big plans for 2011 and 2012 are on permanent hold as all the seedlings and small palms in plastic pots that I was growing to sell to the local nurseries (all desperate for unusual palms that take our extreme climate) were lost in the flood. I have found a lot of empty pots and few with seedlings in them but the majority went down the drain, literally. So much for my grandiose plans of making a fortune, this year and next, getting a facelift, a boob job, changing my name to Ayesha and becoming ruler of the world by 2013 !! A big thank you to Colin and John for all their hard work on my behalf too. There is so much more I want to share with everyone but I would be here all day if I tried. A special thank you also to Jason in Portugal.

All our love and gratitude

Peachy, Huntley-Albert, Ralf and Jasper

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Splendid! Peachy, I am so glad to hear you roaring back with determination! Kick em' in the arse!

Thrilled to hear from you dahling, effervescent as ever! Good to see you keeping your chin up and wits about you. Your world will come to rights soon.

Kim Cyr

It is actually amazing what people throw out after the flood. Most of the timber furniture is actually salvagable once you clean them out. Good on you peachy to manage to do what you have done so far. Hopefully the a/c will get fixed very soon & at least you can feel better while cleaning the rest of it.

Thinking of you.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi All

We will know the price of the air conditioning unit on the Monday, We are waiting for a new car photo licence to be issued for Peachy (lost in the flood) so she can prove her identity to Paypal so we can release the donated funds. Hopefully we will know what we have to achieve to have her back on a normal living standards soon.

She seems happy enough to live with damaged furniture etc. The things that do not work are the items planned to be replaced . Will let everyone know what the target is when Brod and Peachy have all the quotes.

What peachy has not mentioned is that the fellow who towed her car away (it was 1.8m under water) went out of his way (for a small fee) and got it running, Peachy was very happy when he surprised her last Thursday with it. She went down to the people handling flood relief in the car, whilst inside the police came and told her that a bunch of petty crims they were chasing ran into it with their car, called another tow truck, towed it away again, damage bill $800. Thanks to everyones good wish's she has handled this set back well. This is not in the budget.

also with a little luck the internet will be on by next week and then she can get back to normal ASAP.

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hi Peachy, good to hear you are are making progress. That was much more interesting than the Queen's Christmas speech, so I have added it to your blog! See the latest update on your blog page, "Special update: 10th February" for a link to your nicely paragraphed message.biggrin.gif

Would anyone have further advice on cleaning and restoring furniture? In the US, I think that after cleaning, you might try to revive wood with tung oil or maybe even carnauba wax (which is from the leaves of Copernicia palms). Peachy's oil soap (whatever it is) sounds promising.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Would anyone have further advice on cleaning and restoring furniture? In the US, I think that after cleaning, you might try to revive wood with tung oil or maybe even carnauba wax (which is from the leaves of Copernicia palms). Peachy's oil soap (whatever it is) sounds promising.

Just for people's information, my website account is temporarily suspended, which means that Peachy's appeal blog is not accessible either. Hopefully it will be sorted by tomorrow, as I am still awaiting a reply from my hosting company.

oops..