IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where is Peachy

_Keith

Did I miss it, or has Peachy still not been heard from?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Look to the right on "recent updates"

This is what she wrote yestrday

I am still in the evacuation centre. A living hell. Went for a pleasant boat trip this morning along my street. Tojo's Revenge is dangling from a neighbours fence but my house is still standing. No electricity for 4 days now and no bridges open to get out of here. Thanks to everyone who messaged me.

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Look to the right on "recent updates"

This is what she wrote yestrday

I am still in the evacuation centre. A living hell. Went for a pleasant boat trip this morning along my street. Tojo's Revenge is dangling from a neighbours fence but my house is still standing. No electricity for 4 days now and no bridges open to get out of here. Thanks to everyone who messaged me.

Thanks. I hardly ever look there, so did not see it. We know all about storm flooding in Louisiana. My heart goes out to her.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I missed it too. I've been thinking about her and glad to hear she's safe. Doesn't sound like she's been able to get into her house yet. BTW "Tojo's Revenge is dangling from a neighbours fence...." is that reference to her car or a palm? Not familiar with the term and curious.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Tojo's Revenge = Japanese car

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Have had contact with Peachy, she was rescued by a boat who also took her pets, she is staying in a refuge center, she went back to her house today, everything is covered in mud, she wrote that she is devastated seeing the damage around her

others are worse of than her she stated

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hope Peachy and Wal and all others effected but this are OK. Brazil got hit bad recently also. It is like the days after a Hurricun passes here. Not much fun and the only thing positive is the realization that simple survival is not bad.

What you look for is what is looking

• 2 weeks later...

Peachy has got her wheelchair going, waiting for her lift to be fixed. The water went into the second floor , she lost everything , insurance will not cover her. Trying to clean up on her own, it has taken its toll and they are putting her into hospital on the 1st

A replacement mobility scooter is trying to be arranged so she can get to the local shop for supplies, has the phone on now and internet will hopefully be arranged in the next week. Internet communication is the easiest way for her to communicate. She needs a lot of help and has been trying to cope on her own

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Peachy has got her wheelchair going, waiting for her lift to be fixed. The water went into the second floor , she lost everything , insurance will not cover her. Trying to clean up on her own, it has taken its toll and they are putting her into hospital on the 1st

A replacement mobility scooter is trying to be arranged so she can get to the local shop for supplies, has the phone on now and internet will hopefully be arranged in the next week. Internet communication is the easiest way for her to communicate. She needs a lot of help and has been trying to cope on her own

regards

colin

How awful for her. Colin, do you know if there is any fund set up for her that might accept Paypal donations? I'm willing to contribute and I'm sure others will be too. I know many people have been affected there but her situation sounds especially dire considering her handicap. It will be so much harder for her to recover & get her home fixed up.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg,

Good idea! I can't give a lot but I can give something.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

regards

colin

How awful for her. Colin, do you know if there is any fund set up for her that might accept Paypal donations? I'm willing to contribute and I'm sure others will be too. I know many people have been affected there but her situation sounds especially dire considering her handicap. It will be so much harder for her to recover & get her home fixed up.

I mentioned Paypal in the other thread as well. If there is something, I'm in right now.

I will try and set it up and have some other members assist with managing the fund, stay tuned

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I hope she fares better soon enough. I'd like to help too.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Just looking around, seeing what I can do to help. Peachy is, understandably, at a disadvantage to most other flood victims due to her disability and living alone. I wrote to the MS Society of Queensland, and also found this on Facebook:

"Emergency respite at Granston Lodge, Dutton Park, Brisbane, may be available for flood victims with Multiple Sclerosis- please contact 38400837" (http://www.facebook.com/msqld?v=wall)

Another vital link from the Queensland Government offering financial assistance: http://www.communityservices.qld.gov.au/community/community-recovery/support-assistance/support-assistance.html

Hopefully this thread will prove to be a useful resource. Colin, I have PM'd you, as I would like to offer my assistance if needed. Happy to knock out a web page if necessary, perhaps add a guest book for well-wishers. Moral support is especially important for MS sufferers, as it is a degenerative disease of the nervous system. This makes even normal, everyday tasks seem like hard work, so important to keep buoyant emotionally. smilie.gif

I would like to help as well! I want to send money direct to Peachy not to a general fund for all the unfortunate victims of this tragedy.

Randy

test

HI all

i have set up a paypal account for peachy to help her recover from the flood

i will pm those of you who wish to donate with the details

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Thanks, Colin. I'm in too. PM me the details. I hope other Palmtalkers come forward to help a member in need.

Meg

Florida

Colin, thanks for stepping forward for Peachy.

Donation made here. How about it, y'all?

Meg

Florida

Thanks for setting this up Colin. I just PM'ed you for the details. I can't make a large donation, but I would like to help out.

Thank you. Donation made.

HI all

i have set up a paypal account for peachy to help her recover from the flood

i will pm those of you who wish to donate with the details

regards

colin

Colin,

Feel free to provide the details here.

Or better yet, if you supplied a link then people would have no excuse. :)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Thank you Dean

The paypal email address is peachyrobyn@gmail.com if any one wish's to donate,

As john has mentioned, Peachy has MS and lives alone in a house with flooded furniture, white goods, curtains, due her condition the air condition motors needs to be replaced to give her quality of life,

Her wheel chair is working now, a replacement mobility scooter is being arranged by donation, the phone is now working, she happily told me this morning the rain uncovered some of her seedlings in a bag under the mud, they were covered in 1.8m of water!! Her lift is awaiting repair as she can only crawl up stairs into the house, so please help if you can. Peachy is a little embarrassed that people know of the depth her plight, she said others have it worse than her, my reply was it is nice to be able to assist someone we know of in the palm community. She has found it hard to accept the help however she is ok with it now, it is uplifting her spirits.

she is trying to have the internet connected , she will be in hospital for a few days on the 1st for stabilization and and an operation. Luckily, her special bed was spared the flood, so was her kettle, toaster, crockery, basically everything that was above 800mm, She needs help with the cleaning inside and out.

thank you on her behalf for assisting

regards

colin

• Upvote 1

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Thank you fall for the assistance so far

Brod, who lives the closest to her, has agreed to assist with organizing the goods she needs, we will co-ordinate the priorities with Peachy. Brod will also agreed to verify the account and its expenditure. Between all of us who are helping from palmtalk, we hope she can come out of hospital with more solutions than problems. we will keep you all informed

thanks again

Colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Every bit helps :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Made my donation. Hearing about Peachy's struggles makes you grateful for what you have.. wishing her the best.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Donation sent - thank you and best wishes to Peachy!

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

Don't forget to visit Peachy's support blog and send her your regards! You can also add your "pin" to her map of donors. No names, just rough location. smilie.gif

http://www.princeofp...port/wordpress/

I don't see any pins. :huh:

Tom, I have to stick 'em on! Don't worry, when Colin wakes up he can send me the locations and I'll add them. I've added one already.

HAha, when I went, I tried to move the little green man to my rough area...

When I let go....up popped DEATH VALLEY! A little too hot and dry for my tastes! Should have sent the rain there!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

HAha, when I went, I tried to move the little green man to my rough area...

When I let go....up popped DEATH VALLEY! A little too hot and dry for my tastes! Should have sent the rain there!

Bill, I am encouraging donors to submit their location to get a pin the map. It will save Colin a job. Just need your city, state and zip code. smilie.gif

Donation sent last night.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Peachy In Queensland

The PayPal donate button on Peachy's fund-raising page is now set up to to make a direct payment from your PayPal account! This means you just fill in the amount you want to send, log in to your account and click to pay!

This is how it looks..

post-1155-035041500 1296423828_thumb.png

Peachy is overwhelmed from your generously and lovely comments

This morning i read them to her over the phone, she is quite emotional from the well wishing thoughts , as she has felt alone until now. The donations so for can replace the washing machine, Peachy thanks those donors who have helped so far, when she is back out of hospital and back in action with a internet connection,she will contact each of your personally.

Peachy said thank you John for doing the website, and is looking forward to Brods visit and advice.

Peachy has not lost her sense of humor, She said "if here are any available single millionaires around who live on a high hill , she is available" smilie.gif

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Donation Sent - some replacement seedling are on standby down here too :D

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate