IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BUTIA X PARAJUBAEA

PalmGuyWC

Beautifull palm you have there, Dick!

The leaflets of your B x P looks more drooping then on my palms. How long are the fronds and middle (longest) leaflets?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

The leaflets of your B x P looks more drooping then on my palms. How long are the fronds and middle (longest) leaflets?

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the nice photos of your hybrids. The palms have grown a lot and so have your kids.

The middle leaflets on my palm are about 25" and the fronds are about 10 feet long. You are very observant as my B X P does have a nice bend or droop to the fronds, more so than any others that I have seen. It seems that subsequent generations of B X P that Patrick has done have stiffer fronds and look more Butia like. This is my first attempt at getting photos on here and they didn't turn out to well. I will try to get some better ones soon and with photos of the spathes and the flowers. My B X P was planted in late summer of 2006.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick, I had some of those first BxP from Patrik. I believe the first ones were using a Butia paraguayensis. The first one I grew was also very vigorous and droopy. The seedlings I subsequently received in years 2 and 3 produced a stiffer leaved palm more like Alberto,s. I wonder if he used a different Butia.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Congratulations on your first(?) picture post Dick. Look forward to many more!

Love the BxP.

Here are a couple of photos of my B X P taken April 8,1012.

Dick

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the nice photos of your hybrids. The palms have grown a lot and so have your kids.

The middle leaflets on my palm are about 25" and the fronds are about 10 feet long. You are very observant as my B X P does have a nice bend or droop to the fronds, more so than any others that I have seen. It seems that subsequent generations of B X P that Patrick has done have stiffer fronds and look more Butia like. This is my first attempt at getting photos on here and they didn't turn out to well. I will try to get some better ones soon and with photos of the spathes and the flowers. My B X P was planted in late summer of 2006.

Dick

I measured one frond today: From the base of the trunk to the tip of the last leaflet: exactly 10 feet (122 cm) ,but most of the middle leaflets are 27", but stiff and not arching.................

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Hi Alberto,

Dick

I measured one frond today: From the base of the trunk to the tip of the last leaflet: exactly 10 feet (122 cm) ,but most of the middle leaflets are 27", but stiff and not arching.................

• 6 months later...

HI everyone, this is my first post on this forum, these Butia x Parajuaea, they are all Patric's handy work? So are they Butia capitata or Butia paraguayensis and if either is crossed with Parajubaea cocoides would one hybrid cross be more cold hardy than the other? Thanks in advance

Craig.

Edited by 8B palms

HI everyone, this is my first post on this forum, these Butia x Parajuaea, they are all Patric's handy work? So are they Butia capitata or Butia paraguayensis and if either is crossed with Parajubaea cocoides would one hybrid cross be more cold hardy than the other? Thanks in advance

Craig.

Craig,

From early in the thread....

That was one of my favorites (of many) palms when visiting your garden in September . The gracefulness of a parajubaea cocoides and the hardiness of a butia Capitata -what a winning combination.

There you are!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone producing a SxB reverse hybrid? Does this hybrid result in a more queen looking offspring? I know this has been discussed before, but I thought I would bring it back up and hopefully get some new pictures. I understand that due to the Queens height and difficulty in pollination it is a cross that is normally not done. I, for one, living in the land of tons of Butia....tire of the Butia characteristics and love the hybrids that show little of the butia parentage.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 years later...

Bumping this oldy but goody thread. Has anyone taken a pic of the BxPJC at Dick's old place recently? How about yours Alberto?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 years later...

Can anyone post updated photos of the large Butia x Parajubaea Cocoides (BxP) palms featured in this lengthy PalmTalk thread?  Most of the photos here are from 2011.  This includes, but is not limited to, updated photos of:

- Krishna's BxP

- Alberto's BxP

- Ed Brown III's BxP

- Dick's BxP

Thanks all!