IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BUTIA X PARAJUBAEA

PalmGuyWC

Hi Martin,

I guess after two very cold Texas winters, the Butia X Parajubaea has gotten the ultimate cold test. I guess they will take 15F but not with snow and ice. That's pretty damn cold hardy for any palm. It may be to early, but would like to know how your other cocoid hybrids faired.

Dick

It actually took a low of 12F with no damage, but was damaged by snow with temps in the low 20's last year. Thankfully snow and freezing rain are pretty rare here, but in the future I will probably try to cover it if we get some.

It looks to me like all the hybrids will be partially or completely defoliated. The Butia capitata x Syagrus I got from Mark is starting to show damage, the Butia paraguayensis x Syagrus and Butia yatay x Syagrus from Patric also have fronds that appear to be damaged. We'll no more in a couple of weeks, but I expect to be cutting the fronds off all of them. My Jubutiagrus from Tim were in the garage, and nothing in there looks damaged at all. Even the spear on the B x P is chocolate brown. I really hope it recovers.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this old thread again, as it's about to get lost in cyber never, never land. I intend to make a progress report later in the year on the B X P hybrid when the weather warms up and it starts growing again. With warmer days and nights I'm begining to see signs of growth on some of my palms. The bloom spathe on the B X P has grown about 5 inches since the picture in this thread was taken.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Good job Dick, we are all anxously awaiting the pic of the newly opened inflorescence.

I figure mine will start producing spathes next winter, but i am hoping for spring!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

If possible when you have time could you show photos of the damage on your Hybrids? Which ones did the best? Any of them showing good signs of recovery?

Hi Martin,

I guess after two very cold Texas winters, the Butia X Parajubaea has gotten the ultimate cold test. I guess they will take 15F but not with snow and ice. That's pretty damn cold hardy for any palm. It may be to early, but would like to know how your other cocoid hybrids faired.

Dick

It actually took a low of 12F with no damage, but was damaged by snow with temps in the low 20's last year. Thankfully snow and freezing rain are pretty rare here, but in the future I will probably try to cover it if we get some.

It looks to me like all the hybrids will be partially or completely defoliated. The Butia capitata x Syagrus I got from Mark is starting to show damage, the Butia paraguayensis x Syagrus and Butia yatay x Syagrus from Patric also have fronds that appear to be damaged. We'll no more in a couple of weeks, but I expect to be cutting the fronds off all of them. My Jubutiagrus from Tim were in the garage, and nothing in there looks damaged at all. Even the spear on the B x P is chocolate brown. I really hope it recovers.

If possible when you have time could you show photos of the damage on your Hybrids? Which ones did the best? Any of them showing good signs of recovery?

Hi Martin,

Dick

With the exception of the big Mule I got from Mark they are all defoliated with huge gaping holes where their spears used to be. None are showing signs of recovery yet, but that doesn't surprise me. Last year it was the first week of July before the Butia yatay x Syagrus started showing new growth. Mark's Mule is defoliated, but the spear is tight.

Lows:

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Most of us here in marginal areas sure need a couple of mild Winters to get our palms healthy again. Two consecutive extreme Winters does not allow a lot of recovery on damaged palms.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Most of us here in marginal areas sure need a couple of mild Winters to get our palms healthy again. Two consecutive extreme Winters does not allow a lot of recovery on damaged palms.

We seem to be getting a jump start on summer here. Highs in the upper 80's and lows in the high 50's this week. I've already been in the 90's 3 times. Lots of stuff starting to push, but not the Butias, Jubaeas or hybrids yet.

Lows:

Here is a photo of the BxP spathe taken on March 16th, 2011.

post-31-033902100 1300381576_thumb.jpg

And here is a bonus shot of Dick. (I must add that this palm is extremely vigorous!) post-31-015385900 1300381684_thumb.jpg

San Francisco, California

Just for fun, here's another shot of Dick; (not as cute as the young lady in the San Diego Jubaea photo ! :lol: )

post-31-011649400 1300382100_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

You can email Patric Schaffer at coolhybrids@wildblue.net

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

I recently discovered bloom spathe #3 emerging. Spathe #2 and #1 are now about 3 feet long and still growing. Once they appear the spathes grow rather fast. It will be interesting to see what the flowers look like, and whether the palm produces viable seeds.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Just to be clear on this as I just emailed Patrick on availability. Is the cross Butia Parguyensis x parajubaea torallyi?

If so has anyone done the cross with Butia Capitata x parajubaea torallyi?

Just to be clear on this as I just emailed Patrick on availability. Is the cross Butia Parguyensis x parajubaea torallyi?

If so has anyone done the cross with Butia Capitata x parajubaea torallyi?

The cross I picked up from him was just with B. capitata, at least this is what I thought I was getting :) . His last "list" did not include a B. Parguyensis cross. But it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

The ones Patric has now is Butia Parguyensis x Parajubaea. What I am asking is that what is in Dicks garden in the photos posted in this thread. Or is the host a different Butia?

The one in this thread is a Buia capitata x Parajubaea coccoides.

I may have to try one of the Butia paraguayensis x Parajubaea torallyi though. I think my capitata x coccoides is toast after this winter, but my Butia paraguayensis was one of the least damaged palms in my yard, and Parajubaea torallyi is supposed to be more cold hardy than coccoides.

Lows:

The one in this thread is a Buia capitata x Parajubaea coccoides.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Good news. My Butia X Parajubaea opened its first flower spathe this morning. For a first bloom the inflorescence looks healthy and robust. The inflorescence looks very much like a Butia. The female flowers are maroon and the male flowers are yellow. Patrick Schafer is coming tomorrow to collect pollen. We will try to get pictures out soon. Probably the first experiment will be to see if the palm is receptive to its own pollen.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Exciting news.

Hybrid history in the making.

Looking forward to photos of the inflorescence.

Good news. My Butia X Parajubaea opened its first flower spathe this morning. For a first bloom the inflorescence looks healthy and robust. The inflorescence looks very much like a Butia. The female flowers are maroon and the male flowers are yellow. Patrick Schafer is coming tomorrow to collect pollen. We will try to get pictures out soon. Probably the first experiment will be to see if the palm is receptive to its own pollen.

Dick

Fantastic! I sure hope it will accept it's own pollen, i can't wait for mine to start setting spathes.

Thanks for the update and look forward to seeing a pic.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Mark Lynn just did the Butia x parajubaea with a disappointing seed count. I believe the count is around 60 seeds. Guess we will find out in a few months if any germinate.

Looking forward to see how Patrick does as well.

Well, seeing this thread nudged me to finally plant my BxP out. I'll have to post new pics eventually. I was suprised by the amount of root growth on my palm in only 7 months- through the winter. Filled up a tall 1 gallon treepot very well from a liner size. It should be nice to see what can be done with those spathes!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

The one I have has seen 20˙F with no damage.

How cold hardy are they?

Paul Gallop

Well, based on earlier posts, I think 15 deg. F is pushing it.....

My entire yard would melt at that point.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Mine survived the bad freeze of 2010 without damage from a dry 12F, but is dead after the extended wet and cold freeze in 2/11 that saw a low of 13F.

Lows:

Patrick Schafer was here this week to emasculate the Butia X Parajubaea and collect pollen. He said there was very little pollen, and that he would be lucky to collect a thimble full from the entire inflorescence. There are 8 anthers on the male flowers. He said the flowers more resembled a Parajubaea than a Butia. This was the first bloom, so maybe there will be more pollen on subsequent floweres. There is another spathe pushing out that is over 4 feet long and still growing.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 3 weeks later...

My Butia X Parajubaea now has 5 spathes of varying sizes. The first inflorescence produced so little pollen, that Patrick decided to use fresh Jubaea pollen. Unfortunately the female flowers are already aborting, so it looks like not a good take. Spathe #2 is more than 4 feet long and should open in the next few days with the heat wave we are under now. Spathe #5 is emerging next to Spathe #2 which is an odd thing. I've never observed two Cocoid spathes growing from the same node along the trunk.

We have hopes that #2 will produce more pollen and the plan is to self pollenate it.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Thanks for the update Dick. Sorry to hear the bad news, let's hope it is just like you had said,,, That the second spathe will get it's act together!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

My Butia X Parajubaea now has 5 spathes of varying sizes. The first inflorescence produced so little pollen, that Patrick decided to use fresh Jubaea pollen. Unfortunately the female flowers are already aborting, so it looks like not a good take. Spathe #2 is more than 4 feet long and should open in the next few days with the heat wave we are under now. Spathe #5 is emerging next to Spathe #2 which is an odd thing. I've never observed two Cocoid spathes growing from the same node along the trunk.

We have hopes that #2 will produce more pollen and the plan is to self pollenate it.

Dick

This is very interesting. I am watching this thread closely to see if self - pollenation will set fruit. I hope it works.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

I too, hope that it can self polinate. My S.Schizophylla X Queen did'nt develop seed untill the second year of developing spathes. I would say the sixth spathe was the number. I'll share a pic of my BXP that i took yesterday while my good friend Ed Brown and his lovely wife came here for a visit. The second pic is the Schizo X Queen that i mentioned and Ed is gonna put that pollen to good use!!

post-518-046395600 1309117965_thumb.jpg

post-518-044216700 1309118043_thumb.jpg

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Mark

Thanks for showing me your garden! adn the kind words

ENclosed are a few photos of the Butiax Parajubea 2 years ago and last saturday. You can see the growth difference from the hybrid vigour.

Best regards

Ed

post-562-062892100 1309225462_thumb.jpg

post-562-045627500 1309225501_thumb.jpg

post-562-017340000 1309225531_thumb.jpg

post-562-053744100 1309225566_thumb.jpg

It would be interesting to put photo of Dicks alongside Marks.

Marks seems much more Butia like in its form.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

As luck would have it, Patrick showed up at my place yesterday just an hour or two after spathe #2 had popped open. The second inflorescence is considerably larger and more robust than spathe #1. Patrick helped the inflorescence out of the spathe and then removed the spathe. He also checked a couple of male flowers and there was visable pollen on the tip of his finger. This will be the "test" inflorescence to see if the palm will accept its own pollen. In a few days he will emasculate the inflorescence and then hand pollenate the female flowers, then use the pollen on other species, maybe a Jubaea or Butia X Jubaea.

I may have spoken to soon about inflorescence #1 which was crossed with Jubaea pollen. It aborted quite a few flowers, but some seem to be hanging on and growing. We should know in another week or two. Damn, isn't this fun? Who says you have to live in the tropics to have fun with palm trees?

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 2 weeks later...

The first inflorescence of Butia X Parajubaea C. that was crossed with Jubae pollen has aborted most of it flowers, but 20 remain and look plump and are growing. They are now about the size of a large English pea. The second inflorescence which is about twice the size of the first one has been emasculated and should reach anthesis in the next few days. It will be pollinated with it's own pollen. (fingers crossed)

Two of my Jubaeas are blooming, as well as my Bujubaea. Patrick has crossed the Jubaea with Butia X Parajubaea pollen, but it's to early to know if it was a take. He also crossed Jubaea with Coconut pollen and it looks like a few seeds might have set.

We are under an extreme heat wave for the past week, and the temps. have been at or above 100F during the day with nights in the 60's. It is supposed to be cooler starting tomorrow with highs in the 80's, perfect for palms.

Dick

Richard Douglas

He also crossed Jubaea with Coconut pollen and it looks like a few seeds might have set.

Wow! What a cross! Should be very interesting to follow this.

salut.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 2 weeks later...

About 50% of the female flowers on B X P, #2 inflorescence reached anthesis 3 days ago, and they were promptly hand pollinated by Patrick with its own pollen. Today the rest of the flowers reached anthesis and were again pollinated by Patrick. Conditions were optimum with little necture drops falling from the flowers. This should be the test to see if the palm is receptive to its own pollen. The first and smaller inflorescence that was crossed with Jubaea is hanging on to its 20 fruit and they are about 1/2 inch across and growing.

We are starting to believe that my particular B X P is a Super Hybrid because it's doing some rather weird things. Not only is it more robust and grown faster than the subsequent generations, but it has about as many Parajubaea characteristics as Butia. The #3 spathe should open soon, and it's about 5 feet long. The weird thing........Like spathe #2, spathe #3 has a second spathe emerging from the same trunk node. I have never heard of two spathes on a cocoid palm growing from the same node.

Dick

Richard Douglas

About 50% of the female flowers on B X P, #2 inflorescence reached anthesis 3 days ago, and they were promptly hand pollinated by Patrick with its own pollen. Today the rest of the flowers reached anthesis and were again pollinated by Patrick. Conditions were optimum with little necture drops falling from the flowers. This should be the test to see if the palm is receptive to its own pollen. The first and smaller inflorescence that was crossed with Jubaea is hanging on to its 20 fruit and they are about 1/2 inch across and growing.

We are starting to believe that my particular B X P is a Super Hybrid because it's doing some rather weird things. Not only is it more robust and grown faster than the subsequent generations, but it has about as many Parajubaea characteristics as Butia. The #3 spathe should open soon, and it's about 5 feet long. The weird thing........Like spathe #2, spathe #3 has a second spathe emerging from the same trunk node. I have never heard of two spathes on a cocoid palm growing from the same node.

Dick

Good luck Patric... Super Hybrid is an understatement. That tree is amazing looking.

Dick, I'm so happy for you !

Here's an old photo of your palms' daddy.

post-31-028494400 1311022660_thumb.jpg