IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Holy Carp Batman, Look out Florida

_Keith

Forecast here has been lowered to 27,23,27 for next 3 nights. Usually our weather hits Florida with a one-day delay. Good luck folks.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I saw the drops in the forecasts this AM. Looks like Wed night in these parts will be another freeze or at least very close to it. What the heck.......add 'em into the pile!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

In western Palm Beach county I have a projected low of 40 and a high of 62. After that its in the high 40's for two days then back to he mid 70s.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

In western Palm Beach county I have a projected low of 40 and a high of 62. After that its in the high 40's for two days then back to he mid 70s.

Sure wish I were you. :-)

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Sure wish I were you. :-)

Keith

I still get a pit in my stomach each morning before I open the 7 day forecast. :(

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

CRAP!

The plants inside also look a little stressed from lack of sun and dry central heat...sucks all the way 'round.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Still debating whether or not to activate contingency drill... damn just checked the forecast. Low of 31°F...

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Holy dyslexia!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Holy Aging. Batman and the Boy Wonderful before and after ... :lol:

Hanging out in the Bat Cave. Good place to keep your palms during the cold events. :blink:

post-1729-030614300 1294846902_thumb.jpg

LOL Ron. :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

It hit 75 degrees here yesterday, only to drop to 39 degrees this morning. However, depending on forecast source, they are calling for lows between 27-30 degrees tomorrow morning. They claim there will be enough wind to prevent frost. However, that's academic as all the foliage on my tender palms and tropical are either fried or defoliated already. After three nights last month below 25 degrees (my coldest being 20.9 in the open), 27-30 degrees will be a virtual heat wave for me.

Mad about palms

I have had (INCLUDING TODAY) the 7th day since Dec 1st that never even made 50f. High today was 47f, low this morning was 41f. Wind blew all day.

If I had said to someone up north that I live in Tampa Bay, and 7 days this winter have not even reached 50f during the afternoon, they would have committed me. That doesnt include the 5 or 6 that have barely made the 50's...I am hoping the wind keeps us safe tonight, because this is really old. I really give up, I have done nothing but cover/protect and uncover only to cleanup. Nothing is getting done. The yard continues to become messier. When it does warm, I am stuck trying to fix everything. Do they need teachers in Hawaii? Greg :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I have had (INCLUDING TODAY) the 7th day since Dec 1st that never even made 50f. High today was 47f, low this morning was 41f. Wind blew all day.

If I had said to someone up north that I live in Tampa Bay, and 7 days this winter have not even reached 50f during the afternoon, they would have committed me. That doesnt include the 5 or 6 that have barely made the 50's...I am hoping the wind keeps us safe tonight, because this is really old. I really give up, I have done nothing but cover/protect and uncover only to cleanup. Nothing is getting done. The yard continues to become messier. When it does warm, I am stuck trying to fix everything. Do they need teachers in Hawaii? Greg :drool:

I heard that! My family was down at their timeshare in Orlando last week, and it was so depressing seeing people in their winter coats out by the pool area. While I know Florida isn't gauranteed to be warm all winter, highs in the 50's have almost become the norm. Of course, they say "well, you could still be in columbus where it's snowing right now." But that was the whole point of moving a thousand miles to the south. It's just getting depressing, and it seems like whenever the forecast does inch up to the 70's in the long-term, it never verifies, or lasts shorter than they originally said. My friend from PA is coming down at the end of the month, and while our average highs should be in the low 70's by that time, I'd be thrilled if I could be gauranteed the mid-60's.

Funny thing is, when my uncle asked the bartender by the timeshare pool area if this weather was normal, she told him yes. But I could hear from her tone of voice that she was just tired of getting stuck in conversations about the cold weather with PO'd northerners who weren't getting the warm relief they were looking for.

Sorry, just had to vent a little bit. While I know it's futile to get frustrated over things you can't control, I just can't help myself :badday:

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

Some good news, well at least better news than before. They have upped our low tonight from 23 to 25. Every little bit helps.

Some good news, well at least better news than before. They have upped our low tonight from 23 to 25. Every little bit helps.

HA! 25F! I have one forecast showing that low projected for 34689!

In any case, unless all the forecasts are off, it may be the coldest night for me in some time as forecasts range from 25-30F. The coldest Ive noted since I started logging data 6 years ago has been 29.5F and perhaps that will no longer be the case tomorrow AM.

Right now though, the winds are moderate from the NW, so any warmth left in the Gulf (if there is any) will be picked up.

Larry 

Greg-

Check out the NWS summary of 2010. Many many records were broken for low daytime highs in 2010.....See Table 1.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/tbw/TopNews/PDF/2010YearlySummary.pdf

Larry 

Greg-

Check out the NWS summary of 2010. Many many records were broken for low daytime highs in 2010.....See Table 1.

http://www.srh.noaa....arlySummary.pdf

A friend up in CT, said they broke a record from 1888, and that tonight they were going into single digits.

Ouch! Some of these records are shattered! I wouldnt worry about tonight. The winds are up and I do not believe we will freeze at all. But tomorrow night, with calm winds, is when I worry. Thanks for the link! Stay warm.......Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Ouch! Some of these records are shattered! I wouldnt worry about tonight. The winds are up and I do not believe we will freeze at all. But tomorrow night, with calm winds, is when I worry. Thanks for the link! Stay warm.......Greg

Yep, tomorrow night will be the one for you guys. I am one day in front of you weatherwise, but watch the night after, too. After our low of 25ish tonight, they are still showing us with a project low of 27 the next night was well.

Well, unless they're waaay off, the night after tomorrow night shouldn't be a problem down here--NWS has Seminole at 31 tonight, 36 tomorrow night, and then 48 Friday night. I'd really like this to be the last of the 30's we see this year, but I'm not going to be optimistic about that.

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

Well, unless they're waaay off, the night after tomorrow night shouldn't be a problem down here--NWS has Seminole at 31 tonight, 36 tomorrow night, and then 48 Friday night. I'd really like this to be the last of the 30's we see this year, but I'm not going to be optimistic about that.

Good luck, I hope your forecast is accurate. Nothing is gonna save us from our second coldest winter temp in 15 years, with last year being the coldest. This may finish off a few things that were still struggling to come back from last year's fiasco.

Any of the forecasts Ive seen have shown tonight as colder than tomorrow, and both are supposed to be windy. But, well see how it all pans out.

At 11PM, the temp here is still the same as it was all day long.......just hanging out in the middle 40's. All winter long I have been pretending I am in a Clint Eastwood movie being filmed in SF/Monterey/Carmel so that the weather fits.

Larry 

All winter long I have been pretending I am in a Clint Eastwood movie being filmed in SF/Monterey/Carmel so that the weather fits.

Love those areas BTW :)

Larry 

10pm here, and just hit 32 degrees.

Hi All,

Very cold here, and our heater burnt out. Plants are indoors for the night and here's the ugly news from the nws:

"URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL

304 PM EST WED JAN 12 2011

...HARD FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT TONIGHT FOR LEVY...CITRUS...

HERNANDO...SUMTER...PASCO...PINELLAS...HILLSBOROUGH...POLK...

MANATEE...SARASOTA...HARDEE...DESOTO AND HIGHLANDS COUNTIES...

"

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I've read the yearly summary that says January 2010 was the coldest on record but then Miami got their "hottest summer on record". I wonder about the accuracy of that claim and if someone is messing around with the numbers because I was in Miami on some of the days they claim made it so hot, and it felt no hotter than usual. It definitely felt nowhere as it did in the summer of 1998.

My Carambola was LOADED with fruit that were quickly maturing when the early cold hit in December. Have only been able to harvest 4 fully sized fruits. The rest have all fallen off prematurely. The very last cold snap in Dec. with frost burn most leaves I could smell the rotting stench 20 feet away that morning when I went to check it out LOL

If any exposed Cocos survive here in Orlando after this winter it deserves a plaque of recognition.

Usually metro Orlando would get one, two, three days was too much of temps around freezing per winter. Some winters I don't think they reached 32 at my location. What will be the count this winter, over 15 days dipping into the 30s and 8 (with more possible) freezes? This is ridiculous!

Time to get cows so they would emit tons of flatulence and get this global warming back on track!

32.0°F at exactly 3:00 AM :violin:

Same story different time.....32F crossed at 635AM and currently 31.0F at 740AM. The temp appears to be just about bottoming now as its flatlined at 31.0F for a little while.

Larry 

Hit 32.5 at 7 AM then rose, no frost, this was no biggie. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be 4 degrees warmer, it looks like my yard is temporarily out of the woods.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Hit 32.5 at 7 AM then rose, no frost, this was no biggie. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be 4 degrees warmer, it looks like my yard is temporarily out of the woods.

The winds and dry air (too dry for frost) saved us I think, even though the winds were from the WRONG direction! But, whatever croton leaves havent dropped yet probably will over the next few days.

Larry 

NewPicture2-2.jpg

Cool plot JimBeam.

That 32F line looks to run right through my backyard! I actually measured 31F, but the temps on that plot are 10m above ground.

Larry 

Although that plot does appear to show alot of coastal areas lower than the measured values.

Larry 

Hit 34.9 down by the canal this morning. Forecasters waffled between 35 & 37. I hoped for the high end - no luck. I'd hoped the high clouds that blew in at sundown yesterday might hang around - no luck there either. At least it was too dry and windy for frost. Low tomorrow another 4-5 degrees warmer - can I hope for 1 out of 3?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Bizarre. We were 29F here in Brooksville, and Clearwater AP was only 32F! I don't think I've ever seen our temps stay that close on a cold night. Worse, NOAA predicted 22F here, so I covered everything when it wasn't really necessary. Bah

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

In spite of earlier promises of only 27 tonight, seems the weather folks just lowered and said to expect 25. Local forecasters are saying more like 24 or even 23. Floridians, I wish you well, but don't turn your backs on this one thinking it was over last night. Prayers that it lifts and heads east before it comes to you.

In spite of earlier promises of only 27 tonight, seems the weather folks just lowered and said to expect 25. Local forecasters are saying more like 24 or even 23. Floridians, I wish you well, but don't turn your backs on this one thinking it was over last night. Prayers that it lifts and heads east before it comes to you.

My weatherman is cracked. Yesterday he said this morning's low would be 27 degrees, it was 31.5 degrees. Yesterday he also said Friday (tomorrow) morning's low would be 34 degrees, but now they say 28-29 degrees!

The one thing he did get right was the wind, it stayed up enough all night that no frost formed.

I just want the freezes to be over with so I can start cleaning up my property of all the dead foliage. It's the worst I've ever seen it.

Mad about palms

My weatherman is cracked. Yesterday he said this morning's low would be 27 degrees, it was 31.5 degrees. Yesterday he also said Friday (tomorrow) morning's low would be 34 degrees, but now they say 28-29 degrees!

The one thing he did get right was the wind, it stayed up enough all night that no frost formed.

I just want the freezes to be over with so I can start cleaning up my property of all the dead foliage. It's the worst I've ever seen it.

I am with you Walt. I was spoiled by nearly a decade of warm winters. Be even with the cold like we had last year, by this time the really cold stuff is usually over. Seems like we usually get pounced in the last week of December, first week of January timeframe, then it relents. This is too late. Go away winter.

I am with you Walt. I was spoiled by nearly a decade of warm winters. Be even with the cold like we had last year, by this time the really cold stuff is usually over. Seems like we usually get pounced in the last week of December, first week of January timeframe, then it relents. This is too late. Go away winter.

Well, once again the weatherman completely blew it. Like I said in an above posting, he called for high 20s low ground (my place) this morning. Wrong! My low was 40 degrees! It seemed that around 2 a.m. the temperature just leveled off the rest of the night, only changing up or down by tenths of a degree. Of course, I'm not complaining about a 40 degree low, I'm just making a point here. Fortunately, I had all my palms and tropicals (what's left of them) covered. But had I not and spent hours yesterday preparing for high 20s, it would have been all for nothing, due to erroneous weather forecasting. When one can't even predict over a 12 hour period, being off 12 degrees, that's pretty bad in my book.

Mad about palms

So how did you end up faring last night? As Walt mentioned, the forecasters in FL were significantly off. They started out saying last night wouldn't be as bad as the night before, but then as the day went by the kept lowering the temps, and by the evening were calling for a widespread freeze again. Both Tampa and St. Pete/Clearwater airports only got down to 38 as of 8:00 this morning (and to double-check, since those readings are sometimes wacky, I looked at Brandond--a normally cold spot in east Hillsborouugh--and they only just hit 32 around daybreak). Hope you were similarly fortunate (though when our average lows should be where our highs have been, "fortunate" is a relative term).

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

Even though it was 40F or so at midnight, it never dropped below 36F. I'll take it, hope it warms up to more balmy palm loving temps soon.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank