IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

nice warmup coming for cali - back into the high 70s

trioderob

More warmth across the state today with both Santa Rosa and Indio recording 83F\ 28.3C. Once again what is so unusual is that these cities are around 500 miles apart. Average maximum for the first week in Feb is 74F\ 23.3C in Indio while Santa Rosa is normally only 60F\ 15.5C. And even more odd were minimum temps in northern California. San Francisco was only 65F\ 18.3C this morning; that would be a warm overnight temp even in summer for San Francisco.

The models are still projecting a significant rain storm around Feb 15.

Well, I'm not sure how significant it really is for San Diego. Predicting b/w 0.5-0.75in. if the GFS is to be believed. The good news is that all of So. CA has had more than a month to dry out from the torrential rains we had in early January. That is very important for the normal mud slide communities and burn areas. I was reading that it can take months of dry weather to completely rule out the possibilities of mud slides from the volume of rain we had in early January.

Right, I recall horrible mudslides that occurred many weeks after heavy rains; La Conchita Beach comes to mind. The upcoming shift in the pattern looks most favorable for northern California for abundant rainfall but that's ok since most of the reservoirs are up in that part of the state. Southern California got the bulk of the heavy rainfall in December so it is northern California's turn now.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

are you new or something? we get this kinda weather here in winter sometimes,thats why people move here from places like michigan & ohio where its bloody freezing right now. :winkie:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

are you new or something? we get this kinda weather here in winter sometimes,thats why people move here from places like michigan & ohio where its bloody freezing right now. :winkie:

poho.-

this is not a normal winter.

the winters I know in san diego get all their rain in the months of Jan and Feb

then it tappers off in march and there is NO rain till the next year.

this Jan was dry as a bone with crystal clear skys sun up till sun down.

when was the last time you needed to water a lawn at the first week of FEb ????

robert-de-niro-tattoos-2.jpg

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 1

poho.-

Actually the answer is: many times. Rainfall in southern California is quite variable and it is not unusual for winter to be wet one month and completely dry the following month. Unfortunately rain is something we can never really count on. Even in El Nino years precipitation can occur for a few weeks and rain very heavily but then the spigot turns off and many weeks go by without a drop. Because the rain year is so short, it makes it all the more critical if we miss out on these winter storms.

There were several cities in both metro Los Angeles and San Diego in the low 80's today but tomorrow will be much cooler before it warms up again. Rain looks iffy but maybe next week could produce some wet stuff for a change. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

poho.-

odorob

this is as normal as it gets,dewd.how long have you lived here? i dont think you quite have the hang of it,yet.you are a little too obsessive,uh,i mean "detail oriented."

nice deniro stills,arent those from the re-make of "cape fear"?any significance or just the usual random stuff ?

have a "normal" day.

:)

still "warning-free."

poho.-

odorob

this is as normal as it gets,dewd.how long have you lived here? i dont think you quite have the hang of it,yet.you are a little too obsessive,uh,i mean "detail oriented."

nice deniro stills,arent those from the re-make of "cape fear"?any significance or just the usual random stuff ?

have a "normal" day.

:)

it is from cape fear,

I really like the original better as played by Robert Mitchum

I am a robert mitchum fan

if you have not seen it check out this movie:

the-night-of-the-hunter.jpg

the-night-of-the-hunter.jpg

71Q4WY4RXWL._SL500_AA300_.gif

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 1

yeah,bob mitchum is pretty cool.

did you ever hear the song he had a minor hit with in the late 50s(i think) called "thunder road?" not too shabby!

still "warning-free."

yeah,bob mitchum is pretty cool.

did you ever hear the song he had a minor hit with in the late 50s(i think) called "thunder road?" not too shabby!

no - I will add it to my netflix list - thanks !

thunderroad.jpg

• Upvote 1

I heard that song and my Dypsis exploded with growth (if you know what I mean)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I heard that song and my Dypsis exploded with growth (if you know what I mean)

:floor:

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Assuming that Mitchum's "Thunder Road" wasn't about a storm but rainfall is out there in the Pacific aimed for California. This eternal ridge will break down enough next week for some good chances of appreciable precipitation. In the meantime it will be sunny and warm w/ some areas pushing 80F again into the weekend. There are frost advisories up in the Central Valley due to the clear skies & dry air of the long winter nights

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I'm ready for a little bit of rain.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Sure looks like rain towards the middle of next week. No firehose like we had in December but enough to start with.

• Upvote 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Sure looks like rain towards the middle of next week. No firehose like we had in December but enough to start with.

I think your caution over rain amounts appears justified. I hate the long "rain watch" of opposing models and trends. Now the outlook suggests much more modest amounts of rainfall and keep delaying the onset of storms. The yo-yo forecasting is why the weather service often hesitate to affirmatively predict systems that are a week away. One thing looks likely, next week will be more cloudy and cooler with chances of rainfall later in the period, I hope! :lol:

In the meantime lets enjoy winter warmth!

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

So far February is yo-yo weather. Warm yes, but my average morning low this month is 37F. If there's any moisture at all. I've been scraping the windshield.

(Texans, please allow me the luxury of whining about scraping ice off my windshield. I know you have Jubaeas covered with snow)

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

So far February is yo-yo weather. Warm yes, but my average morning low this month is 37F. If there's any moisture at all. I've been scraping the windshield.

(Texans, please allow me the luxury of whining about scraping ice off my windshield. I know you have Jubaeas covered with snow)

Terry

It was down to 37F\ 2.7C in Woodland Hills [section of Los Angeles] also this morning while less than 10 miles away at the Getty Center the low was 55F\ 12.7C; another example of the remarkable micro-climates in California. Today was gorgeous all across the state today w/ maximum close to 80F as far north as Salinas [78F\ 26.1C] and 83F\ 28.3C out in Riverside. Warmer tomorrow B)

But next week will be a complete turn around with chilly temps and rain toward mid-week.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

Next week is here and our month long flirtation with Spring ended yesterday in N. Calif. We have experienced unusual warmth in N. Calif. with many days in the 70's and and a couple of days that reached 83F last week. The weather pattern ended yesterday with light rain and much more is expected in the next few days. I dread the cold that may be behind these fronts, but we are getting further away from the shortest day of the season and 15 minutes of daylight is being added each week.

So far my lowest temps were back in the last part of Nov. and no killing frost since then. Fingers crossed because winter is not over yet.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi Dick,

I'm watching the progress of the storms moving out of the Gulf of Alaska and down the West Coast. Rainfall rates don't look particularly impressive due to the cold origin of the moisture but anything is welcome. The really cold airmass could result in very low snow levels [down to pass level in the southern California mountains below 4000'] or thunderstorms. If skies clear overnight anytime during the next 7 days it could easily result in frost. :blink:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

This is a nice change over the hot dry weather.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Yup- I welcome the humidity... in drops or relative!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

man my palms look kind of "ragged"

this was a hard winter for them with all the frost I got.

nothing died - but I have a ton of spotting and burned tips

(the palms- not me)

Yesterday's storm dropped light amounts of rainfall over southern California though up to an inch in the foothills. The next storm should be much more favorable for rainfall since it is moving slowly and could include heavy thundershowers. Snowfall in the Sierra Nevada will be measured in feet once all the storms move thru California. Temps will be chilly right thru the weekend.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The storm scheduled for the mid week time period next week now looks like it is too far west to affect SoCal. At least for now.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Today was the third day of rain in the San Francisco area, and we really got hammered today. It came down in bucket fulls and was heavy rain. It was cold too, don't think it got above 45 today. I just hope the cloud cover hangs around. Over 7 feet of new snow expected in the Sierra. That should put us at or above normal.

Dick

Richard Douglas

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory.php?wfo=lox

NWS_LA has issued an advisory for a powerful storm with potentially strong thunderstorms, heavy downpours, strong winds today into Saturday. Rainfall could exceed 4-6 inches in the foothills during a relatively short period of time! :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

NWS_LA has issued an advisory for a powerful storm with potentially strong thunderstorms, heavy downpours, strong winds today into Saturday. Rainfall could exceed 4-6 inches in the foothills during a relatively short period of time! :o

its coming

just took this photo :

5456338297_5ecc1851a0_b.jpg

So far they botched that forecast...Windy? Yes...Cold? not so much...Rain? little...Although its only Saturday morning...way to go NWS!

So far they botched that forecast...Windy? Yes...Cold? not so much...Rain? little...Although its only Saturday morning...way to go NWS!

Yeah, the rainfall so far hasn't been that impressive though I did record an inch overnight from periodic heavy brief showers. The real action could be today with scattered thunderstorms developing in the cold airmass behind the front.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

This time they say its going to be very cold...Gear up! Orange County, You've been warned!

(OC Register 2/23)Rain now seems likely Friday night and Saturday, the latest forecast from the National Weather Service says, with temperatures so cold Saturday they would be expected only once every five years.

Snow levels also could drop to unusually low levels in Orange County — as low as 1,000 feet elevation — perhaps dusting foothill communities, with daytime temperatures in the 40s.

“You’ll definitely see snow on the ground at the highest outskirts of suburbia there,” said Weather Service meteorologist Miguel Miller. “Foothill Ranch, Rancho Santa Margarita, Coto (de Caza) — I’m not saying it’s going to snow there, but it will be right at the back door.”

It’s the work of a system of cold, low-pressure air moving in from the north.

“The air is coming south, straight out of Canada, and is going to get very little warming effect from the ocean,” Miller said. “So it’s going to be almost pure Canadian.”

The system could announce its presence as early as Thursday with light rain or drizzle.

For now, another low pressure system off the coast of Baja, Mexico is weakening and moving inland, the Weather Service says, but is expected to do little aside from sending clouds our way.

Cool temperatures and the play of clouds should continue through most of the week.

Wednesday and Thursday look partly cloudy, highs 58 to 63 Wednesday and 56 to 61 Thursday. More clouds move in Thursday night, and Orange County should awaken to mostly cloudy skies Friday with a 50 percent chance of rain and highs of 54 to 59.

Rain becomes likely overnight Friday and again Saturday, along with a slight chance of thunderstorms.

And as the coldest part of the low-pressure system moves over Southern California, temperatures could drop substantially, with highs of 42 to 47 expected Saturday and snow levels at 1,000 to 1,500 feet.

Lows could hit the mid 30s Saturday night.

Then Sunday is partly cloudy and a little warmer, 54 to 59.

The National Weather Service has been tracking this developing Arctic outbreak for over a week. It could very well snow down to sealevel in the Bay Area and below 1000' in southern California. The hope is that the nights will be cloudy because any clearing behind this cold storm could mean widespread minimums below freezing on Sunday morning. Right now both NWS_LA and NWS_SD are keeping minimums above freezing except in the usual low spots because the models are still struggling with the forecast. It could be the coldest temperatures of the entire winter. Thankfully temps rebound rather quickly once the air mass shifts east into Arizona.

Here's a segment of the discussion from NWS_LA:

" . . . THE RAIN IS NOT THE MAIN STORY WITH THIS STORM...INSTEAD IT IS THE COLD. THKNS IS 544 DM FRI AM THEN 541DM BY AFTERNOON...BY SAT AM IT DUMPS TO 528 DM AND BOTTOMS OUT AT 522 DM BY SAT AFTERNOON. IF THESE VALUES VERIFY IT WILL BE THE LOWEST THKNS RECORDED IN AT LEAST THE LAST 10 TEN YEARS. SNOW LEVELS WILL REACH THE COASTAL VLY FOOTHILLS AND THE INTERIOR VLY FLOORS ON SATURDAY. MAX TEMPS WILL BE UP TO 20 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL ON SATURDAY."

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The National Weather Service has been tracking this developing Arctic outbreak for over a week. It could very well snow down to sealevel in the Bay Area and below 1000' in southern California. The hope is that the nights will be cloudy because any clearing behind this cold storm could mean widespread minimums below freezing on Sunday morning. Right now both NWS_LA and NWS_SD are keeping minimums above freezing except in the usual low spots because the models are still struggling with the forecast. It could be the coldest temperatures of the entire winter. Thankfully temps rebound rather quickly once the air mass shifts east into Arizona.

Here's a segment of the discussion from NWS_LA:

" . . . THE RAIN IS NOT THE MAIN STORY WITH THIS STORM...INSTEAD IT IS THE COLD. THKNS IS 544 DM FRI AM THEN 541DM BY AFTERNOON...BY SAT AM IT DUMPS TO 528 DM AND BOTTOMS OUT AT 522 DM BY SAT AFTERNOON. IF THESE VALUES VERIFY IT WILL BE THE LOWEST THKNS RECORDED IN AT LEAST THE LAST 10 TEN YEARS. SNOW LEVELS WILL REACH THE COASTAL VLY FOOTHILLS AND THE INTERIOR VLY FLOORS ON SATURDAY. MAX TEMPS WILL BE UP TO 20 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL ON SATURDAY."

Hopefully,since it is the end of Feb and with higher sun angles we will avoid any frosts.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Here is the latest from the NWS in San Diego....

ON THURSDAY THE TROUGH MOVES OUT BUT ANOTHER DEEPER COLDER TROUGH BEGINS TO BEAR DOWN THE WEST COAST. ONSHORE FLOW WILL INCREASE THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY AND SOME OF THE CLOUDS COULD PRODUCE DRIZZLE OR A LIGHT SHOWER ESPECIALLY AGAINST THE MOUNTAIN COASTAL SLOPES. AS THE TROUGH MOVES INTO OUR AREA THE PRECIP WILL COME WITH IT MOST LIKELY FRIDAY NIGHT...WITH SHOWERS TAPERING OFF FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST SATURDAY EVE. IT WILL BE A VERY COLD FRONT WITH SNOW LEVELS DROPPING SATURDAY TO LEVELS WE DO NOT SEE TOO OFTEN...POSSIBLY 1500 FEET...WHICH INCLUDES SOME OF THE HIGHER INLAND VALLEY COMMUNITIES. IN THE HIGHER MOUNTAINS UP TO A FOOT OF SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE. THE COLD AIR WILL ALSO BRING A FEW THUNDERSTORMS SATURDAY. MAX TEMPS SATURDAY WILL PROBABLY MAKE THAT DAY ONE OF THE COLDEST THIS DECADE.

I live at around 900 feet and have never seen frost but this weekend I could see snow!!! :mrlooney:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I live at around 900 feet and have never seen frost but this weekend I could see snow!!! :mrlooney:

Here is some from earlier this month 02/03/11 @ 6:23 am...Now you've seen frost, so you wont have to see it this weekend...

post-4259-031037300 1298521634_thumb.jpg

Your welcome!

Our local TV antena hill/mountain is Mt. Miguel and it stands at approx. 2500 feet. I've never seen snow on it in my 30+ years living in this area. I've head stories of the top of it getting dusted, but never seen it. Cowels Mtn., Mt. Miguel, and possibly Mt. Helix and Dictionary Hill cold actually see snow this weekend. That's crazy! These aren't "mountains", they're just local hills.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Our local TV antena hill/mountain is Mt. Miguel and it stands at approx. 2500 feet. I've never seen snow on it in my 30+ years living in this area. I've head stories of the top of it getting dusted, but never seen it. Cowels Mtn., Mt. Miguel, and possibly Mt. Helix and Dictionary Hill cold actually see snow this weekend. That's crazy! These aren't "mountains", they're just local hills.

Matty,

It was either 1967 or 68 during a high school final exam in La Jolla (between NAS Miramar and UCSD), and it snowed enough to stick to the ground for about an hour. I remember our grades must have suffered because we were all staring out the window the entire class.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Matty,

It was either 1967 or 68 during a high school final exam in La Jolla (between NAS Miramar and UCSD), and it snowed enough to stick to the ground for about an hour. I remember our grades must have suffered because we were all staring out the window the entire class.

Well, let's not get nuts here. Snow level could drop to about 1500' which is still no where near La Jolla unless we have has some serious seismic action. My low for Sat is forecast to be 38F which is pretty darn cold for the end of Feb, that's for sure.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter