IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

nice warmup coming for cali - back into the high 70s

trioderob

We were pretty much at our record low again this morning. 39F.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I was down in the low 40s mee-self. I expect upper 30s tonight. Currently 51F at 8PM.

• Upvote 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

38 and 40F this morning at various spots..

43F out front right now.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

If you average out the forecasts, I can expect 29F overnight. It's 41F at 8:26pm.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

48°F inside my backyard greenhouse at 8:41pm wed nite....

thank you oil filled heater!

p.s. bought this wireless thermometer at Home Depot today for a whopping $15+ tax...shows indoor / outdoor (inside my greenhouse) temp, AND shows outside max lows and highs....such a bargain:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-222-001953300%201296706893_thumb.jpg

Edited by tropicalb
  • Upvote 1

I need to go out and bring some stuff in... yet I keep staring at PT... :blink:

So- I decided to turn on the halogen in the greenhouse first, move plants, then check again...

42F at start

@915pm

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

So. I moved about 20 plants... :( some I just shifted under some canopy.. The big Mad Fox has zero canopy, and I was tempted to test it, but I opted to bring over some large unnamed ravenea in a 15 gal as portable canopy... we'll see.

BUT- I did see my large Dypsis tokoravina opening its orangish leaf!! :drool: SInce I decided to leave it out (under some shadecloth) I thought I'd snap some pics in case it looks a lot worse in a couple days... :(

post-27-089956600 1296710880_thumb.jpg Oh yeah- checked the greenhouse post moving...up 2F to 44 in a half hour..

post-27-092097900 1296710778_thumb.jpg

:)

36F at 10pm. Brought in 1-3 gallon sized tender stuff. Testing larger 5-15 gallon palms (DD and Ambo, etc). Threw an extra layer of plastic over the palms in the greenhouse.

• Upvote 1

Not bad here with 44F at midnight. I expect it to go down to the mid thirties by daybreak though. We'll see. Nice warm up into the low to mid 70's by Saturday continuing several days with lows in the 40s.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

32F in Temecula, It's a good thing I'm in NY right now where it's 24F, that way I appreciate my 32F when I get home.

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I woke up at 2:30am and it was 32F and it's 30F at 6:30. At least 4 hours at just below freezing. There will be damage.

• Upvote 1

It bottomed out at 37 degrees here this morning. With a warming trend starting today and lasting into mid February, I think this may be the first frost free winter here in a few years.

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

40.2F under canopy, 37.9F out in the open, this morning, matching my all time low. There were patches of light frost on some of the flattened grass on the trails in the canyon. All the plants look fine. The Bottle Palm only has one leaf left from earlier cold this Winter, but that leaf still looks good.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

40 under canopy. 36 in open. Hope this will be the end of the cold and we can move into a long hot Spring/Summer/Fall.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

As usual the foothills stayed the warmest but mid 40's is hardly "warm." Also light wind helped elevate temps. I did notice many readings in the 30's to mid 40's across southern California and well below freezing in some of the desert regions. Overall, it could have been much worse. Without the multiple ranges of mountains between the Midwest and the West Coast, California could have experienced really cold temps.

Lo: 45F\ 7.2C

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I was between 30 and 32F from 2am to 8am. The length of time made it worse than normal for the low temp.

Among palms in pots, Dypsis mayotte looks like hell. I might toss it as it takes 9 months to produce a new frond. D. pembana and Pinnaga coronata look fine, but we'll see.

My 9ft tall Caryota obtusa is now sepia brown color, and all the fronds on a nearby Archontophoenix alexandrae are pretty bad looking. I'm sure both will recover.

Glad this was a one-night only performance.

• Upvote 1

my low in Fallbrook was 33 out in the open and 36 under my large jacaranda's. I just finished a small green house that only ended up being a couple of degrees warmer. I might need to put some sort of heat lamp in there.

• Upvote 1

Not out of the woods yet, so to speak. NWS_San Diego issued a frost advisory for coastal & desert valleys tonight. In spite of the sunshine the temps are still quite cool with most areas in the upper 50's & low 60's this afternoon; Palm Springs is in the low 50's while Phoenix is in the low 40's. That is cold for early February when low desert readings should be in the 70's! :o

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Not out of the woods yet, so to speak. NWS_San Diego issued a frost advisory for coastal & desert valleys tonight. In spite of the sunshine the temps are still quite cool with most areas in the upper 50's & low 60's this afternoon; Palm Springs is in the low 50's while Phoenix is in the low 40's. That is cold for early February when low desert readings should be in the 70's! :o

So tonight could easily be as cold or colder? :rage: Sometime between midnight and 6 AM my temp in the front yard (no canopy) bottomed out at 33F but bounced back to 34 before 6. The back yard was about 37F (taken from an old dial thermometer) this morning.

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

40 under canopy. 36 in open. Hope this will be the end of the cold and we can move into a long hot Spring/Summer/Fall.

I second that!

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

29.5° at 4:00am. A little touch of Jack F. on the big lutescens, bananas are toast for now but everything that matters has been covered since Monday.

• Upvote 1

I was between 30 and 32F from 2am to 8am. The length of time made it worse than normal for the low temp.

Among palms in pots, Dypsis mayotte looks like hell. I might toss it as it takes 9 months to produce a new frond. D. pembana and Pinnaga coronata look fine, but we'll see.

My 9ft tall Caryota obtusa is now sepia brown color, and all the fronds on a nearby Archontophoenix alexandrae are pretty bad looking. I'm sure both will recover.

why does it all ways seem be coldest in oceanside ?

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 1

Weirdest front. At my property at 39deg lattitude, 2000' elevation in the Sierra foothills we had a 38 deg F low this morning. 62 deg F yesterday afternoon, and 60 deg F today. It has been warmer in NorCal than SoCal deserts, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tuscon, and South Texas. Redding has been warmer than Bakersfield or Fresno to the south. Somehow this freezing mess missed Cali and Florida and spared Louisiana and East Gulf the worst of it. It seems this polar beast had a grudge against Texas though. Good luck all.

• Upvote 1

why does it all ways seem be coldest in oceanside ?

It's all about the San Luis Rey River drainage, or as I likes to calls it "The Palomar Pipeline".

• Upvote 1

My wife texted me this pic of the fountain on the north side of my house. I guess it got a tad chilly at my place.

post-1261-083968000 1296792091_thumb.jpg

Did I mention that I reeeeeaaally like cold hardy palms?

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

My wife texted me this pic of the fountain on the north side of my house. I guess it got a tad chilly at my place.

Doh! I'll be glad when the Heat Miser shows back up.

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

I might have to get me a Butia capitata "strictior". mmm hmm

• Upvote 1

Only got down to 34F last night.

I'm now seeing a bronze hue in my foxtails and royals. The obtusa and alex look worse than yesterday. They have no protection and are hit hard by west winds. All will live.

• Upvote 1

OY Matt!!

43F under canopy, 41F out in the open last night.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Pretty much a repeat of yesterday morning: 30's & 40's widespread with some isolated areas below freezing. Warming is beginning to take hold so tonight should be warmer and day temps into early next week will be delightful with even some 80's in places.

Lo: 47F\ 8.3C

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Ironically northern California was essentially the warmest part of the state again today. Several cities north of San Francisco were 80F\ 26.6C or over. Napa was 81F\ 27.2C as warm as Chatsworth [a section of Los Angeles] today yet over 400 miles apart. Tomorrow should be another warm day. Long-range models are showing encouraging signs that a potent storm will move into California next weekend but forecasting 7 days in advance is a little risky.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Yes it's warm! I came home after walking my collies this evening with seven mosquito bites on my legs and two on my neck. At 7pm it's still 70F and tomorrow we may see 80F for a high. Another mild to warm week is ahead too, then possibly a rainy weekend. San Francisco was 10 degrees warmer than LA today! That's weird.

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

In Walnut Creek it's 62F at 9:30 PM. Normally this time of the year it would be in the 40's. Today warmed up to 77 F and forecast tomorrow is 80 F. It's been warmish for the past week. Love it.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

It's almost 11:30pm and still 68F. This is more like early June than early February.

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

It's almost 11:30pm and still 68F. This is more like early June than early February.

Looks like most Central CA areas will have record high temps.

Santa Cruz has never seen an over night low above 60f ( Even summer) My brother in Aptos said the low this morning is 70f!

Many records will be broken today!

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

More warmth across the state today with both Santa Rosa and Indio recording 83F\ 28.3C. Once again what is so unusual is that these cities are around 500 miles apart. Average maximum for the first week in Feb is 74F\ 23.3C in Indio while Santa Rosa is normally only 60F\ 15.5C. And even more odd were minimum temps in northern California. San Francisco was only 65F\ 18.3C this morning; that would be a warm overnight temp even in summer for San Francisco.

The models are still projecting a significant rain storm around Feb 15.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

More warmth across the state today with both Santa Rosa and Indio recording 83F\ 28.3C. Once again what is so unusual is that these cities are around 500 miles apart. Average maximum for the first week in Feb is 74F\ 23.3C in Indio while Santa Rosa is normally only 60F\ 15.5C. And even more odd were minimum temps in northern California. San Francisco was only 65F\ 18.3C this morning; that would be a warm overnight temp even in summer for San Francisco.

The models are still projecting a significant rain storm around Feb 15.

Well, I'm not sure how significant it really is for San Diego. Predicting b/w 0.5-0.75in. if the GFS is to be believed. The good news is that all of So. CA has had more than a month to dry out from the torrential rains we had in early January. That is very important for the normal mud slide communities and burn areas. I was reading that it can take months of dry weather to completely rule out the possibilities of mud slides from the volume of rain we had in early January.

• Upvote 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter